Topic: using my Inventory as reference for usable decklists

hi howdy,

i'm liking the organisation of the website but i'm wondering if there is a way to view decklists that are made up of what i have in my inventory or something along those lines.

also i have a nightmare token creature but i can't find the card profile for it

EDIT: i just discovered Shoeboxmtg.com and it is almost a perfect version of what i'm looking for, however it seems the site hasn't been updated since 2015? also it isn't accepting a huge chunk of my cards from deckbox into the "shoebox" it has a very cool import feature straight from deckbox to shoebox

Last edited by Aubmaire (2020-06-14 05:08:18)

Re: using my Inventory as reference for usable decklists

Aubmaire wrote:

i'm wondering if there is a way to view decklists that are made up of what i have in my inventory or something along those lines.

Deckbox doesn't have such a feature. Have you ever used TappedOut? I use Deckbox for Inventory, as it's far superior to T/O, but I use T/O for decks, because.... likewise. T/O has a rudimentary version of this feature. On your T/O Inventory page, there's a "Find Decks" button, which brings you to a search page. Then when you view a deck, there's a "Compare to Inventory" button. This opens a page showing a list of Missing and Owned cards.

One thing I don't like about their version is that the search page forces you to choose a format. While this is fine for people who are specifically looking for e.g. Standard decks (though bear in mind that it'll also show old Standard decks that users haven't gotten around to unmarking as Standard), for someone who just plays kitchen-table Magic and who would be fine with any format, there's no way to choose "Any format" or select more than one. I personally feel like this search tool is most useful for Commander.

A second thing I'd like to see improved is that when you look at the search results, there's no way to sort them, by say Total Price, Price to Complete, % Complete, Date Updated, etc. Speaking of % Complete, I think that would be a very useful visual on the search results page. I have no idea just by looking how easy it'll be to complete a given deck. I have to first open the deck, then compare to inventory, then manually / visually judge it based on a list of card names.

Aubmaire wrote:

also i have a nightmare token creature but i can't find the card profile for it

Most of the tokens on Deckbox are just named by their token name, e.g. Saproling, but token names that also happen to be card names, as is Nightmare, have "Token:" prepended, so Token: Nightmare. If that's not the right one, then perhaps Nightmare Horror?

Aubmaire wrote:

EDIT: i just discovered Shoeboxmtg.com and it is almost a perfect version of what i'm looking for, however it seems the site hasn't been updated since 2015? also it isn't accepting a huge chunk of my cards from deckbox into the "shoebox" it has a very cool import feature straight from deckbox to shoebox

I can't comment too much on Shoebox, as I've never used it, but I bet the import issue has to do with mismatched edition names. That is, Deckbox uses e.g. Modern Masters 2015 Edition while Shoebox might use just Modern Masters 2015 (I don't know if it does; just an example). But if it hasn't been updated since 2015, might be a moot point anyways!

Re: using my Inventory as reference for usable decklists

thanks for the great response, gave me alot to think about and i did more research.

in an effort to continue a workflow with deckbox and not have to re- enter my cards into another collection i've subbed to mtggoldfish for their superbrew feature which does what i was looking for and also address the issues you brought up about selecting formats.

i very much hope Deckbox introduces a feature like this, its a much more user friendly website by far and seems much more populated