Topic: Promo Pack Reprints

Hello! I opened a PW-stamped Guardian Project from a Midnight Hunt Promo Pack, which I believe is indistinguishable from the Ikoria Promo Pack version.

I'm a big fan of cards being grouped together when they cannot be distinguished from other versions (I'm looking at you, "Magic Game Day" Suture Priest!), so I'm wondering if we should have a general Promo Pack grouping (like The List) instead of individual Promo Packs groupings for each set?

How do folks feel about this? Are there other solutions you'd prefer?

Re: Promo Pack Reprints

Solseek wrote:

Hello! I opened a PW-stamped Guardian Project from a Midnight Hunt Promo Pack, which I believe is indistinguishable from the Ikoria Promo Pack version.

I'm a big fan of cards being grouped together when they cannot be distinguished from other versions (I'm looking at you, "Magic Game Day" Suture Priest!), so I'm wondering if we should have a general Promo Pack grouping (like The List) instead of individual Promo Packs groupings for each set?

How do folks feel about this? Are there other solutions you'd prefer?

I fully support this. It's also indistinguishable from the THB, M21, ZNR, and AFR promo pack versions.... Just look at how other sites are categorizing Guardian Project:

• TCGPlayer lists it under THB, the first promo pack to include it, and no subsequent ones

• Scryfall lists it under RNA promos, based on the symbol that actually appears on the card

• CardKingdom lists it under a generic "Promo Pack" edition, as Solseek is suggesting

While none of them agree on the exact categorization that should be implemented, what they do agree on is that each planeswalker-stamped card can only be listed in ONE edition.

Of the three systems, I like the generic edition the best, followed second by placing it in a promo edition based on the set symbol on the card. I do not like TCGPlayer's method, nor Deckbox's current method.

I would also like a single edition, I hate the uncetainty on each import, about which printing came out in which promo pack first etc. The only fear is that this would grow to thousands of printings, making the edition page considerably larger than all other editions, unusable, and I will need to paginate it or something...

Just to add, my other fear is that they will begin to print cards in promo packs that break this rule of a single printing per card, and then we will have to distinguish the printing via a note or something... "Ikoria version" versus "THB version".