Topic: Deckbox Update

Hey everyone,

Just curious how everyone is finding trading on Deckbox, and if there's any pitfalls or issues you're running into?

I just had a recent trade with someone where I was accused of trying to shark them on value.  I had forgotten, or maybe I never knew, that DB didn't adjust prices based on card condition, so when the trade was accepted, the person was out $10 or so because a Beta Swamp I had was HP.  Honestly never crossed my mind to look up the prices to make sure the trades were even as I assumed that was built into the platform.

Anyways, ultimately, I didn't feel too bad about it because it's not like the information is obfuscated - it's all available and we can see the condition/value in real time, especially sending pictures to confirm it.  I guess I trust people will do their due diligence and protect themselves, but maybe that's asking too much?

Otherwise it's going well on here and seems to be a pretty good community.  There is the rating system which I appreciate, and wish something similar had been incorporated into PucaTrade years ago to help weed out any problem traders.

Re: Deckbox Update

I've been using deckbox for the entire life of puca trade and still do to this day and I love it for inventory and deck management. The trading system is a little "wild west" the prices are 0% accurate as they onyl pull from Deckbox Marketplace, so it's usually good to double check tcgplayer prices when you trade. Some people take deckbox marketplace as Law, but they are in the minority. It does FEEL bad to see making an "unbalanced" trade, but i'd rather double check than get a bad deal and be sad later. Most if not all traders here are very understanding if you just use the chat box in the trade.

just my 2 cents

I had 10 successful trades and switched to deckbox at the beginning of this year.

I still feel that the site is a bit clunky and unstructured but overall I feel like I get the general vibe of the site more and more. Pricing can be an issue but users are usually super nice and open about it.

Overall I feel like it can be an alternative to puca. I am also using CS but at the moment I think I will use deckbox more often in the future.

Shoe wrote:

It does FEEL bad to see making an "unbalanced" trade, but i'd rather double check than get a bad deal and be sad later. Most if not all traders here are very understanding if you just use the chat box in the trade.

This was their exact sentiment when they caught the issue.  I sent them another card to make up the value, but I also know (of) this person from back home and they're not the wide-eyed doe they made themselves out to be when leaving feedback for the trade.

I'm not salty about it, but in the world of cellphones, etc. everyone was always looking up prices and checking to make sure things were as even as possible.  I guess maybe we get a bit lazy with a site like this, myself included.

As for the pricing, yeah, there's been some pretty big disparities between the Deckbox Marketplace price and the aggregated pricing from anywhere else.  For the most part anything of significant value I'll personally double check, but also don't tend to bother doing my trading partner's homework for them.

Maybe I've just become an old curmudgeon.  Haha.

LewtHoar wrote:

As for the pricing, yeah, there's been some pretty big disparities between the Deckbox Marketplace price and the aggregated pricing from anywhere else.  For the most part anything of significant value I'll personally double check, but also don't tend to bother doing my trading partner's homework for them.

I usually plug the cards into TCGplayer's app real quick if anything over $2 deckbox price is involved just to be sure I'm not getting screwed. I tend to like Jank so i almost never under offer. I really wish deckbox would go back to using TCGplayer pricing, but i think TCGPlayer wont let you use thier API if you make money off your site.

My biggest beef so far is the userbase. I'll offer a trade to someone and not hear back for days on end if ever.

These are people who are marked as logged in daily.

Also, I can't imagine how they haven't hooked up the ability to put a checkbox beside any matched cards with a corresponding button to "Add to trade". Having the matching ability is great, but why do I then have to TYPE the cards into the trade? Come on...

Strider wrote:

Also, I can't imagine how they haven't hooked up the ability to put a checkbox beside any matched cards with a corresponding button to "Add to trade". Having the matching ability is great, but why do I then have to TYPE the cards into the trade? Come on...

Yeah, I hear that.  I really like the thoroughness of the database on here, as everything seems to be catalogued quite specifically, and the Admins seem quick to get new things added or correct any errors.

I do agree the trading interface could use a little work.  Not sure if there's better trading features with the Premium membership...?

LewtHoar wrote:

I do agree the trading interface could use a little work.  Not sure if there's better trading features with the Premium membership...?

Not really from what I can tell

Not for trading. The main benififts are no ads, and you can make tons of notes and specific edition choices in the deck builder

As of today I have been active on this website for about 3 months now and so far its been a great site. I have not been upset using the values here on deckbox to make trades and some users have used the tcg values which i do verify as well and have been ok with. I have completed many trades here at a faster rate and have been able to get my decks up and running faster. My only complaint is the inability to properly trade my trades. Sometimes I have had instances where a trade is offered but i can have one card in multiple trades. In puca, this would not happen because the trade itself kinda goes in its own escrow as well besides the points. I kinda wish it was the same here. But I would hope this can be a future fix.

I agree on this here. Like come on a quick "hey im checking" or a "no maybe another day" would be so considerate.

Strider wrote:

My biggest beef so far is the userbase. I'll offer a trade to someone and not hear back for days on end if ever.

These are people who are marked as logged in daily.

I've made a few trades so far. All the comments made so far I agree with. I'm double checking prices on more expensive cards, the method for adding cards to a trade is a little annoying and the pricing not updating for condition is especially an issue. I have tried many trades with individuals but have a 50/50 chance of them ever replying. Its no Puca, trading takes a lot longer, but it does work.

I have had pretty good success making trades here. That said, the userbase (like Puca's) is limited and since you have to trade card-vs-card, it may be harder to find trades that work.

I have several cards that should see demand, but because it is hard to find the right trading partner, it makes it hard to make a deal.

PS: I am experiencing the same issue with non-responses. I have been made aware that if you leave a comment, it triggers the "You have messages" whereas a proposed trade does not. Leaving comments did seem to help me.

Ebur0n wrote:

PS: I am experiencing the same issue with non-responses. I have been made aware that if you leave a comment, it triggers the "You have messages" whereas a proposed trade does not. Leaving comments did seem to help me.

That's a really good piece of advice I got from several users. The trigger that you have a message helps a lot of users

Prices are usually close enough to standard, in my opinion. For expensive cards it's worth checking TCG Player, but for cheaper stuff it's a wash

Definitely second leaving a comment to get the other person's attention. Clicking the "propose trade" button should also trigger a notification, but it depends on their settings

Has anyone got a good template/macro for uploading lists to multiple trading sites, given the different nomenclature?

I was able to snag a reasonable collection in my area and am just finishing an initial list, to upload first to Deckbox or Cardsphere, but I know there's differences between the two in terms of what sets are called (Deckbox goes with Card No. for Extended Art, while Cardsphere gives them a specific set name, for example).

Or any resources you could point me towards?  Maybe this is something I can work on the mean time if there's interest from you all for a tool like this.

The paid version of DelverLens is really good at this, and has a month free trial

Shoe wrote:

The paid version of DelverLens is really good at this, and has a month free trial

Fantastic, thank you.  I'll look into this - maybe there's something I can extract to turn into an Excel macro to make this available for everyone.

DelverLens was pretty intuitive to use and catalogued a whole collection in a couple hours.  Some of the features for specifying languages, condition, etc. need to be made a bit more obvious and easy to use, but otherwise its a pretty neat little app.

However, when it comes to exporting the lists for uploading to different sites, it does say Cardsphere formatting is the same as Deckbox, which it isn't, so a bunch of manual reworking on the .csv file(s) had to be performed.  I think there's still an opportunity here to just build something with Excel macros to have it scrub sheets for uploading to different places.