Re: Upcoming Feature: Inventory Improvements - Tags (or Labels)

sebi wrote:

I've thought a lot about tagging lately (and deck tags), and about the new flags that are needed (artist proof, misprint, altered, signed). We also need notes (public and private) and images (for scans).

The more I think about this, the more I feel adding everything will make things confusing in the interface. Filters for tags, saved searches, flags, notes etc.

One way I thought we could simplify everything would be:
  - have one field of public notes and one for private notes
  - only have 2 flags: foil and modifed. Where modified means any of signed, altered, misprint, etc etc.
  - otherwise all tagging and flagging can be done via hashtags in the notes field. E.g. "#misprint - miscut" or "#signed by artist at Worlds 2013"

Then users can flexibly tag and untag things without a complicated interface. I feel it would also be understandable, since everybody uses hashtags on social networks nowadays.

Private notes can also be used to tag things freely, like "#borrowed to mike. Otherwise belongs in #blue_box_basement".

What do you think?

I like the idea of replacing the flags with tags. Also replacing the tags with the # is good too. At the end of the day it's the same idea. If you look at one of my previous posts you could simply replace the {}'s with a # and bam same thing.

moxy wrote:

So combining these things together you might get something that looks like:
2 Thallid,  Fallen Empires, Played, English, {Deck:G FE Thallids} {Box 3} {Pic A}
1 Thallid,  Fallen Empires Played, English, {Deck:G FE Thallids} {Box 3} {Pic B}
1 Thallid,  Fallen Empires, Played, English, {Artist-Proof} {Binder Proofs}

I am assuming you will convert the existing flags into tags before removing them though. I wouldn't be to happy losing that information.

Putting the tags in a notes field via a # marker isn't a bad idea. I've not ever used this # system but it seems intuitive enough to figure out quickly.

As far as the search goes. Can there be a way to search across private and public notes for your cards at the same time? Maybe "Search in Public Comments", "Search in Private Comments", "Search in Public and Private Comments"

I'm taking the idea of additional inventories is right out? That still would be a great use at least to me.

For the deck tagging if the deck tagging is done by adding #deck_### what's stopping me from adding this tag to another card later through the notes interface in lieu of the deck building interface? What would happen in this case? Does that card get marked as being in that the deck? What if that card isn't in that deck list? Does removing that tag from a card remove it from the deck, what about the deck list? What if I manually add two different deck tags to a card is it now magically in two decks at once? What if I manually add a deck tag with a number that isn't in my list of decks?

Un-built deck lists are simply lists of cards and none of your cards in your collection have that tag?
Partially built are deck lists where some but not all the cards have a deck tag?
Does sideboard have to marked in use? I often use the sideboard as a list of potential cards to consider when building a deck. I often leave it when I'm done for the future if I want to modify the deck. I wouldn't want to consider those as being in the deck.

I think if you're going to do the deck tagging like this and put it in a user view-able / editable field you might want to make it friendlier. I am guessing the deck names have to be unique right now. Why not use the deck name instead of deck number? "#deck that blue deck some dude posted" is more understandable then "#deck_329285".

sebi wrote:

Also a point worth discussing is if you can tag a card as being in 2 decks at the same time... because in my mind that would not make sense. One of the decks has it actually in it, the other one does not... although it is listed in the decklist, the actual specific card is not there, so it should not be tagged I think.

I agree 100% with this. I feel a card can only be added to one deck at a time. Thus the questions of manually messing with the deck tags if they're in a user accessible field. I know others that will disagree with this though because they move cards between decks when they play but I really thing that wouldn't be the right thing to allow in an inventory management system.

sebi wrote:

In built decks we'd have some sort of smart way for each card to pick something from your inventory that can be used for it.
for ex, you have "2 Mountain" in your deck. You click somewhere and you see a list of all the exact mountains that you own in the inventory, and you can check which 2 of them are actually in this deck.

This will HAVE to be super slick. Right now it takes a decent amount of time for me to add new basic lands to my inventory. Enough that I've considered not tracking them in deckbox. I'm not blaming the program it could be my computer but it's an issue I deal with. I have so many of them it just takes a bit of time for it to load. I haven't even gotten around to splitting out the different pictures and as of right now I won't be doing that because of the time it takes for them to load. I cringe at the thought of being given a screen and waiting for all my mountain entries to load just to add that one extra land I want to add to the deck. Maybe load the first X newest or latest edition owned entries not in a deck and if you want more offer a search? This would probably give you the cards you want to add 99% of the time. Would probably also return all the cards you owned 99% of the time. But in the case of the land cards I always add the newer lands to the deck first and work back toward the older ones.

I just want to tag the version of a card so that the price of the deck will be accurate.  Tagging to know where a card is in my inventory could be useful, but at the end of the day I don't really need this feature. 

I do overlap cards I'm using for various decks because I like to brew lists, and I like to save old lists for decks I've taken apart, but might rebuild some day.  I only own 1 mana crypt for example, but I use the same one when I build an EDH list as in a vintage list, though I may not always have the vintage list sleeved up.   

Hashtags would be fine provided people use them correctly and that they are searchable.  When you allow user entered data (instead of a drop down selection) you run into typos and people listing as #artistsigned #artist_signed #artist-signed #signed or whatever, when all of these mean the same thing.  I imagine this type of fragmentation would probably make it harder to actually use these new tags when searching for people who have them them for trade.  To me, half the reason for the tag is to be able to search for them.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-10-22 15:38:36)

sebi wrote:

I'll post my older idea for implementation for this, but this is still in flux. I'd like to ask you guys how you would like to use such a tool to organize your cards, and what features you'd like from it.

I am currently importing(manually) a decently sized collection. roughly 1500 of these are mine. The other 6000 or so are mine to use, technically on loan indefinitely. The whole purpose for this inventory, for me, is to be able to USE these cards after they are imported, knowing with confidence that, if the actual owner of these cards decides he wants them back, I will have access to a list of 'his' vs. 'mine' and return them. At the same time, the whole point of this loan was that he had all these cards just sitting in a closet and I am an active player. I want to be able to have a physical deck put together with the confidence that I won't have to play "what box does this go into" every time I switch things out. As time goes by, my own collection will be growing because I can't stop buying cards, so the whole process will become more unwieldy over time. This is what I would be using a flag/label system for. As of right now, I am using the mint designation to keep things separate. As I am not a seller or trader at this time, it is working. When I decide it's time to start trading, I have no idea what I'm going to do. So there is my answer for that.

(If anyone has a better solution for my issues here, please let me know. I keep cataloging cards in the hopes that labels or flags are actually on the way, and I know that twisting the mint column is a less than ideal situation. Keeping everything physically separate all the time is simply not a viable option, and I would really like to be able to keep ONE digital inventory instead of two, for geeky reasons)

**Edited to add: I will also have two sons, a son-in-law, and possibly a daughter looking through these things and building temporary decks, as goofy little tournaments have become a thing when the kids come to visit, which adds a whole new layer of "Who does this card belong to" to the whole mess.

On a different topic raised in this thread, I would also like to say that one of the reasons I chose this site to keep my inventory in, is that it is possible to add cards to decks. This way I can log in on my lunch break and brew decks from my phone. That being said, the ability to add a card I only have one physical copy of to several decks is appealing to me, because not all decks I would be putting here will be manual. Some are just in my head.

Last edited by 1230350194 (2014-11-03 17:50:06)

1230350194 wrote:
sebi wrote:

I'll post my older idea for implementation for this, but this is still in flux. I'd like to ask you guys how you would like to use such a tool to organize your cards, and what features you'd like from it.

I am currently importing(manually) a decently sized collection. roughly 1500 of these are mine. The other 6000 or so are mine to use, technically on loan indefinitely. The whole purpose for this inventory, for me, is to be able to USE these cards after they are imported, knowing with confidence that, if the actual owner of these cards decides he wants them back, I will have access to a list of 'his' vs. 'mine' and return them. At the same time, the whole point of this loan was that he had all these cards just sitting in a closet and I am an active player. I want to be able to have a physical deck put together with the confidence that I won't have to play "what box does this go into" every time I switch things out. As time goes by, my own collection will be growing because I can't stop buying cards, so the whole process will become more unwieldy over time. This is what I would be using a flag/label system for. As of right now, I am using the mint designation to keep things separate. As I am not a seller or trader at this time, it is working. When I decide it's time to start trading, I have no idea what I'm going to do. So there is my answer for that.

(If anyone has a better solution for my issues here, please let me know. I keep cataloging cards in the hopes that labels or flags are actually on the way, and I know that twisting the mint column is a less than ideal situation. Keeping everything physically separate all the time is simply not a viable option, and I would really like to be able to keep ONE digital inventory instead of two, for geeky reasons)

**Edited to add: I will also have two sons, a son-in-law, and possibly a daughter looking through these things and building temporary decks, as goofy little tournaments have become a thing when the kids come to visit, which adds a whole new layer of "Who does this card belong to" to the whole mess.

On a different topic raised in this thread, I would also like to say that one of the reasons I chose this site to keep my inventory in, is that it is possible to add cards to decks. This way I can log in on my lunch break and brew decks from my phone. That being said, the ability to add a card I only have one physical copy of to several decks is appealing to me, because not all decks I would be putting here will be manual. Some are just in my head.

It is probably a big deal, but a make your own flag sort of like Outlook would be ideal. We could just have a set of colors and define a flag, then flag cards as Red - Tim's or Purple - My most favorite cards or Blue - Ravinica Holiday Box

A thought just occurred to me and I thought I'd add it here: for privacy purposes, I will only want others to be able to see the deck lists themselves, not the details about each card in the deck. That's another thing to bear in mind, thanks!

As the post noted above, privacy would be a nice factor.

Also, as a buyer of bulk collections, I would like to have a tag for how much I bought the item for, even if I could arbitrarily enter a number, that would suffice. If I could label a card as part of a collection I purchased and know the total value from the purchase (by later sorting/searching) that would be helpful. That way (maybe), I could enter in a collection I bought, enter the price paid for the lot, and have the value of each card divided by the price paid for the lot.

For instance, I would like to label a lot I bought that contained about 400 cards. Each card would be labeled as something like "lot #1." If you clicked on "lot #1" it would display all the cards bought in that collection and how much I paid, in addition to their current value. Also if I looked at each individual card, it would tell me that I paid $35 for the entire lot, so $35 divided by 400 equals the specific amount I paid for that card. So for my Volcanic Island in that lot it would say I paid roughly $.08.

Are these improvements still on the drawing table?  Have any been implemented yet?

jewellee107 wrote:

Are these improvements still on the drawing table?  Have any been implemented yet?

Nope, not yet. I have come back to them a few times but the feature is non trivial and I always got side-tracked with more urgent features or changes... time is limited smile

But it is very much still on my list to do.

Any news on this in 2022? Big make or break for me tbh...