Topic: Mystery Booster and others merged into The List

Most sites and stores have given up on listing the Mystery Booster promos separately from The List, and merged them together since it seems most of the time it is impossible to distinguish between them (although it is claimed for some the plainswalker symbol is a slightly different size).

I have also done the same on deckbox now, and moved all of the "components" in "The List":
- Mystery Booster
- Mystery Booster Retail Edition Foils
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose
- Angels: They're Just Like Us but Cooler and with Wings
- From Cute to Brute

The edition listing is split by the edition symbol on the card, with collector numbers corrected now so that they show what is on the card.

Predictably, the page is now very laggy for editing individual lines of it via the checklist buttons on counts, since there are 3400 rows with a lot of dynamic controls on each. I will take a look at optimizing javascript initialization and performance on it if it stays like this. Another option would be to make it more readable and manageable by splitting it into small editions, one for each edition represented "The List - Kaladesh", "The List - Ixalan" etc. I didn't decide yet how to proceed.

Some printings were duplicated, and they were merged now automatically, if you had them in your collection nothing should have changed except the printing will be "The List" instead of "Mystery Booster", or whatever it was before.

I updated the CSV importer code finally to also only look at the "Printing Id" field for identifying printings, so that changes / fixes of edition names, card names or collector numbers in the database cannot break the import of some rows in collections exported to CSV.

Re: Mystery Booster and others merged into The List

Splitting "The List" by the underlying edition is **Chef's Kiss**

My only other use case is, given The List is now curated by set, is seeing that distribution.  However I am able to get that info from other sources so it's not super important to have it here, but wanted to throw it out just in case something came to you.

Amazing work as always.

It seems that at least one card got moved into the void: Puresteel Angel (https://deckbox.org/mtg/Puresteel%20Angel)
I now have a 'Mystery Booster Playtest Card' in my collection instead of the old List one.

Can you see if you can find the missing card(s)?

sebastiansmagiccards wrote:

It seems that at least one card got moved into the void: Puresteel Angel (https://deckbox.org/mtg/Puresteel%20Angel)
I now have a 'Mystery Booster Playtest Card' in my collection instead of the old List one.

Can you see if you can find the missing card(s)?

Hello,

It's actually intentionally there. Are you referring to the fact that the planeswalker symbol is not on the card image?

If so, this is a separate issue, for the 2019 set we have a bunch of cards with the wrong image that does not show the planeswalker symbol
https://deckbox.org/editions/553-myster … test-cards

I will update the images today.

Yes-no-not-sure.
Currently there are only two version of the card in the database but none of them is from 'The List' and that's where I got my card from. Never purchased playtest cards.

Hello,

I don't like the merger of The List and Mystery booster but I can live with it and I understand the reason behind the merge. Great job.

I'm not sure about the split by edition symbol. It screws with the sorting. It sorts by inside the edition symbol instead of all of them. I personally like to put all of those by alphabetical order since there's always new cards added to this list. It's easier to fetch in my real card collection. So you can understand that's its giving me a hard time right now, as I have to search for the edition it's in first then add it to my inventory.

So here's some suggestions
-Can the edition symbol sub section be made optional ? This way I can sort by any order like any other set.
-Can the edition symbol sub section be made sortable alphabetically ? Not my favorite, but still easier to sort by edition symbol sub set then search for my card in the list.

Of course, I could always do a CTRL-F

Thanks for your hard work

Daraniel wrote:

I understand the reason behind the merge

I still don't. Well the initial merge, yes, that makes sense from my point of view. But I don't understand why now all old 'List' cards who belong into the 'Mystery' pile are now 'Mystery' cards instead of 'List' cards with the added set like all the other ones. It isn't the same card or is it?

Last edited by sebastiansmagiccards (2024-03-10 19:08:50)

It was fine, at first, since the Mystery and List cards did initially have different-sized Planeswalker symbols. Later they started printing both with the same-sized Planeswalker symbol, making it impossible to really tell the difference if one was printed in both collections.

Personally, I gave up trying to sort them individually (aside from the play test ones) and just physically sort them with the original set they came from now.

Last edited by MMJuno (2024-03-10 20:03:49)

So the 'Mystery' card is identical to the 'List' card.. or did I get that wrong?
If so, it would make sense not to have both versions in the db (I guess..?).

MMJuno wrote:

It was fine, at first, since the Mystery and List cards did initially have different-sized Planeswalker symbols. Later they started printing both with the same-sized Planeswalker symbol, making it impossible to really tell the difference if one was printed in both collections.

Personally, I gave up trying to sort them individually (aside from the play test ones) and just physically sort them with the original set they came from now.

It was, however, really useful for me in trying to collect one of each Mystery Booster card so I could make a Mystery Booster Cube.  That process was something that Deckbox really did a fantastic job of helping me with.  Now?  Not so much.

I accept that I am a very niche edge case here though.

Uhm.. still looking for an answers hmm

Was the mystery playtest thing an actual booster you could buy or was this only included in another series?
If so, I would understand why there isn't a specific 'List' card for this anymore in the database.
If not, I still don't understand it sad

Was the mystery playtest thing an actual booster you could buy or was this only included in another series?
If so, I would understand why there isn't a specific 'List' card for this anymore in the database.

They are *almost* identical, the difference being the size of the little icon in the corner on them. The difference is so small that some people cannot tell them apart, to the point where people (and stores, and scryfall, and other websites) gave up trying to differentiate (since wizards clearly does want to differentiate them) and now treat them as the same.

sebi wrote:

They are *almost* identical, the difference being the size of the little icon in the corner on them. The difference is so small that some people cannot tell them apart, to the point where people (and stores, and scryfall, and other websites) gave up trying to differentiate (since wizards clearly does want to differentiate them) and now treat them as the same.

I think he was referring to Mystery Booster Playtest Cards (CMB1) and Mystery Booster Playtest Cards 2021 (CMB2). Both list are still there and were untouched by the merge. They were a card inserted in each mystery booster and mystery booster 2021. The difference between those playtest cards was the presence or not of the planeswalker symbol. The symbol was present only in the first series CMB1.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Last edited by Daraniel (2024-03-21 11:57:28)

@sebi: Ok, got it. Fine for me, only have one card.
@Daraniel: Yes, indeed.

Is there a way to sort this now either alphabetically or by color, then alphabetically? Having it divided by set, within the set, is a nightmare with a large collection. Previously I had mystery boosters sorted by color then set, so it is easy to both enter into here and add to my physical collection. The List cards I sort alphabetically. When I enter hundreds or thousands of cards at a time it is difficult to have the database so different from how I actually put the cards away.