Topic: Next best box to get

My inventory is pretty substantial now (at least I think so) and mostly with standard and some modern cards. I've bought a box of DA and Innistrad and looking to buy my next box.

What edition do I go for? I'd like to shoot for M12 since the next rollover is going to be coming up or I can go into the Mirrodin block. Mostly everything I've gotten so far that I've wanted came from trades. So there are a couple of options:

a) I go for as old of a box as I can get to attempt higher valued cards for trading since they are most likely in there.
b) Stick with M12 as a good versatile selection for different card and deck ideas. Mirrodin if I'm feeling Infect-y or Artifact-y.
c) Stay current and hit another Innistrad... not sure I want to hit another DA. I pretty much got everything I wanted unless I score another Sorin or Huntmaster. Edit: For Trade only.
d) zany option four.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hellnikko (2012-03-30 18:26:43)

Re: Next best box to get

a) well this is only true if you go legacy, anything in between and its pretty slim pickings unless you go a set with lots of dual lands.
(Legacy/vintage would be incredibly expensive)
b) I am not a fan of the core sets, I personally don't think this is a wise choice.
c) Could be viable if you are going for luck trade value.
d) Could hunt down some tradables as singles...

Really depends what you want to shoot for, as per filling out your collection (variety in sets) or just straight value.

I'm not looking to fill a collection, I mostly want to  trade for value. Right now, I don't have any big cards to trade for the multiple cards I want to make my decks more consistent. If core and current isn't the way to go, maybe I should try mirrodin or something before?

If you are hellbent on buying a box, why not wait a few weeks and pick up one of the new set that is coming out?

Otherwise, honestly, I don't think you should buy a box at all.  If you are looking to spend money on a bunch of cards at once to fill out decks then sites like StarCityGames and ChannelFireball are usually your best bet.  They should have most of what you need and will only ding you once for shipping. 

If you are looking to acquire most of your cards through trading it's still very possible but might take some extra effort.  A common tactic is to trade several low-end cards for a single mid-range card that you don't necessarily want but that has good trade value.  Do this a couple of times and you can turn $15 worth of $0.50 cards into three $5 cards.  Then look for trades that contain the more expensive card you are really after and you'll eventually get it.  It will take significantly longer but will cost a LOT less money and it's kind of fun!

I would not buy a box of anything from the Scars of Mirrodin block simply for trade bait since it's about to rotate in 6 months and you will likely lose money on that deal.  I agree with Vyr1s that I normally stay away from core sets but M12 is somewhat of an exception with Phantasmal Images and the Titans.  I probably still wouldn't do it, though.  You're not all that likely to even get a titan in a box and then it would have to be one of the pricier ones to even matter.  Most of the other M12 rares are junk that most people don't want making it a risky investment.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited by Tawnos (2012-03-31 18:28:06)

Good point. Perhaps I'm just antsy and feel I've exhausted my trade value for the things I've wanted so far. I suppose I'm just hoping to be lucky with titans or other $30 cards so that I can get the stuff I want.

And when you say to trade all my low end cards, it's easy if they were in high demand. I have a bunch of new stuff and I feel they are saturated already. Nobody wants 4 sanctuary cats or burden of guilts, for instance. I'll be hard pressed to find someone to unload those and more like it for one of their cards.

I used to love buying boxes, but I've found it's generally much cheaper to just buy singles of the cards you want. Seriously.

Also, SCG and CFB have terrible, terrible prices. SCG especially, with prices for valuable cards often five or ten dollars above tcgplayer's lows.

Borgin wrote:

Also, SCG and CFB have terrible, terrible prices. SCG especially, with prices for valuable cards often five or ten dollars above tcgplayer's lows.

My understanding is that buying from TCG is like buying from amazon.  Every card may come from a different vendor.  if that's true then you will pay tons of money in shipping fees when attempting to acquire many cards at once.  This probably makes SCG and CFB better in that instance but it really depends on what you're buying.

The only way to know for sure is to do the math and see what's cheaper in the end.

Tawnos wrote:
Borgin wrote:

My understanding is that buying from TCG is like buying from amazon.  Every card may come from a different vendor.  if that's true then you will pay tons of money in shipping fees when attempting to acquire many cards at once.  This probably makes SCG and CFB better in that instance but it really depends on what you're buying.

The only way to know for sure is to do the math and see what's cheaper in the end.

You do realize that tcgplayer now offers a "calculator" that automatically determines the cheapest way to order all the cards you've put into your cart? Like I said, SCG is almost always at least 30% above market- often higher in low-price scenarios- and since tcgplayer will do the legwork for you, why not just type the cards you need and see what the cheapest it'll cost you will be? I've gotten my cart from 140 down to 80 before, and that's a huge savings just by switching vendors.

I'll second Borgin's point.  The new "calculator" (that's not what it's called but I'm not remembering its actual name off the top of my head) tool TGC has is REALLY useful.  When it comes down to acquiring those last 10-12 cards for a deck or two, I've found TGC to be quite good.  Some vendors offer $0.99 shipping and almost all of them you can find near mints or slightly played cards well below the TGC average.  So then you save some serious time by not having to work out 10 more trades while minimizing shipping.

Oh, and through tcgplayer, lots of vendors offer free shipping if you spend fifty dollars or more. This might be a bit too expensive for your blood, but as I make a large number of purchases on a regular basis, it's saved me quite a bit of money.

The only reasons I want a box more than just buying directly what I want:

• I can get lucky with some high priced cards. This can benefit me in either trades or new deck ideas to utilize.

• I can come across some cards I didn't think of a use until it hits me right then.

• I can get extras of cards to get either more family or friends interested and build a deck for them to try.

• With those cards I find with value, i can also make trades and look at their tradelist for things not originally on my wishlist. I did this once on here and picked some really awesome cards for ideas for decks.

• I could also score the exact card I wanted along.

As for the pros and cons for buying directly, I'll get exactly what I want and at a cheaper rate, but I'll be stuck with it unless I get bored and want to trade it for something else. I could try to put those cards in certain deck ideas, but I'd be limited.

Am I forgetting something? I hope I'm not just convincing myself I want a box, but I've really thought about buying directly too. Then again if I did, I wouldn't have the interaction I've had with some of the people on here.

As for waiting on the new edition coming in May, I can get one now and get that one later... big_smile

Heres what I see about buying a box.  You might luck out pulling three high dollar cards to make the box worth it and get the bonus of all the little stuff sitting on shelves in boxes so your girlfriend or wife can complain you have to many cards sitting around or you can use that money to try and get lucky on a really high dollar card on ebay or just buy what you want and then when you want to build a new deck trade the high dollar cards for the high dollar cards of the new deck and buy all the little crap. You can also do what I do I find the cheapest vendor that sells playsets of common and uncommons from the newer sets and then buy or trade for what I need to make a deck. They usually sell for under $30 with shipping. I found the last set for $24 shipping included on ebay so I have all the little pieces from scars to DA so I just trade whatever rares i get at FNM and give most of the rest of the pack to kids starting out.

Oh and she still says I have to many cards laying around

Last edited by Peck614 (2012-04-05 19:36:49)

lol

Excellent insight. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Okay, okay...

I'm a moron. I said it. I don't regret a thing and I need people to tell me "I told you so."

That way I can learn my lesson. lol

Thinking retrospect....

Glad I didn't get M12, should have went with New Phyrexia and not hooked on Zendikar. Some reason, I thought that had a lot of good cards I wanted. Surprisingly, not so much.

Or, just should have bought the cards I wanted directly but I still need time to figure out what I want.

Curious if you got a rough estimate of rare value contained in the box?

Told you so. tongue

As one who is very concerned with getting "value", here's my strategy whenever a new set comes out.

-Evaluate all rares in the set. Are there enough "chase cards" (things like Huntmaster of the Fells, or Snapcaster Mage) to warrant buying a box (usually, more than ten for a large set or 7/8 for a small set)?
-Are there any commons or uncommons that might make a box worth buying (cards like Gitaxian Probe, Lingering Souls, Gut Shot, Dismember)?
-Is it a small set (very relevant; smaller sets are often underdrafted and thus worth automatically more money)?
-Are the mechanics of the set "broken" (often, set-centric mechanics are awful, but occasionally some are very busted like Dredge, Persist, and Undying)?

Considering a box is usually about a hundred bucks, a set has to be very good to meet my criteria for being "worth buying". Often, I'll buy a box for the first set in the block, and then simply buy a set of common/uncommons for the later sets and buy the "junk rares" from the next sets, which often wind up being quite good (I bought 32 Dungeon Geists and made about 150 bucks off them, for example).

If a box isn't worth buying, just getting 300 "bulk rares" from a new set is almost always worth your time. I'll buy semi-playable cards for 30 cents a piece, trade them at two dollars, and make a huge return. For example, tonight I traded a playset of Markov Blademasters for a Garruk Relentless and two Dungeon Geists, which is about a 500% return on my investment (I paid 75 cents a piece for the Blademasters). This isn't difficult to do at all.

how do I define the rare value? I can kind of some up what I got in rares and above, is that right?

Keep in mind, I'm really new. I have no old collection and I started after Innistrad because my friends got me in (and hooked, damn them.) I don't think Zendikar was necessarily a bad choice, but it didn't offer anything new that I could play around with, if that makes sense. Looking at New Phyrexia's cards, that had the stuff that I could mold to my own. I just didn't look up anything on my phone to see which one I preferred.

Borgin, you'll have to define this better for me. Are you going to a card shop or online buying these junk bulk rares (or just FNM, because maybe I'm missing out)? I have to see if these options are open to me because I'm intrigued.

And I thought I understood Peck614, but maybe I need more detail on that also.

Hellnikko wrote:

Borgin, you'll have to define this better for me. Are you going to a card shop or online buying these junk bulk rares (or just FNM, because maybe I'm missing out)? I have to see if these options are open to me because I'm intrigued.

I almost always buy my "bulk" stuff from tcgplayer.com. Basically, right when a new set gets released, there are a lot of rares that are semi-playable that you can get for a quarter, and "bad" rares (albeit rares people still like building around casually) are like ten cents. A card like Requiem Angel isn't "bad" by any means, it simply isn't the best six-drop available in standard so it's basically worthless. A playset of these sets you back 52 cents. I often trade full playsets of cards like this for a single "playable" card- something like Hellrider, or Dungeon Geists, or Sulfur Falls, and people are usually quite happy about it.

I usually buy enough rares to fill out my trade binder- often about 300- and it costs me about 70 dollars each time I buy this quantity of cards. It works very well because I am offering a service- other players may want a playset of Requiem Angels, which are only worth 13 cents, but don't want to pay the 3 dollar shipping fee associated with that purchase. Players are happy trading for virtually any rare at at least a dollar in value, so this makes "bulk rares" give you a huge return on your investment. For example, I bought zero packs of Dark Ascension but I have 3 Huntmaster of the Fells, 3 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, 18 Lingering Souls, 3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (one of which is foil), 8 Hellriders, and many more of the more valuable cards from the set.

Of course, this can be a lot of work. It's all about trading up, and often you are only making a dollar or two at a time. You also have to be able to find people who want some of these cards- I've found that there are a few specific players in my area who enjoy playing with some of the more overlooked rares in standard, and I've figured out the sorts of cards they enjoy playing. Sometimes you're only able to find one or two people who are looking for what you have. However, if you can get in fifty trades a week, you stand to make a substantial return.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!

SO, you buy 4 or more of certain rares and sell them as playsets for one pretty awesome card, correct?

I'm such a newb, I want to end myself. neutral

Last edited by Hellnikko (2012-04-07 20:51:38)

"Playset" refers to a set of four of the card that will then be used for actual play in the game.  People go out and get copies of cards that they're never actually going to use to maintain their value (as they stay in near mint condition) and then use the playsets for their decks as those can get all bent and chewed up from gameplay.

Unless I'm way off, at which point I would welcome someone to correct me.