Topic: Box vs Fat Packs?

I want to get a Avacyn Restored fat pack next week when I get paid but was wondering if getting a box of booster packs is better then getting a few fat packs? So far I've gotten two Dark Ascension and one Innistrad fat pack along with two event decks and I think six intro decks. I'm at the point now where I think I'm ready to start playing in some weekly tournaments with my friends so I want to get all the new cards and get as many good cars as I can. If I'm wasting my time with the fat packs I'd like to know before I go and get another one in a few days lol.

Thanks for the help smile

- Keny -

Re: Box vs Fat Packs?

Box. You get 9 packs in a fatpack and 36 in a box

I knew that, I was wondering more on the cost of each. Would it be better to by a few fat packs and just a box of 36?

- Keny -

If you do the math it's really no contest.  Roughly $100 for a box, that's 36 packs with 36 rares, 72-108 uncommons (you're likely to get at least value for the box in rares).  The fat-packs, at roughly $30-35 are only 9 packs (no guarantees you don't end up with about $15 in rares for a $30 purchase). 

Sure you get all the promo stuff in a fat pack.  But kass is dead on, unless you value all that other whatnot, the card value is a no brainer.  You would need to buy four fat-packs to pull the same number of packs, so you'd be out an additional $20 for the same number of cards (unless you're in dire need of lands...).

And that's a lot of books and land to carry. No Bueno.

It does come with a sweet spoiler book, but im sure they sell them on ebay.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

If you do the math it's really no contest.  Roughly $100 for a box, that's 36 packs with 36 rares, 72-108 uncommons (you're likely to get at least value for the box in rares).  The fat-packs, at roughly $30-35 are only 9 packs (no guarantees you don't end up with about $15 in rares for a $30 purchase).

Where do you buy a box of MTG cards for $100? The shop I go to its $40 for a fat pack and I think $144 for a box. If there is a website I can get them cheaper at then I'll stop buying at the shop and get them online.

- Keny -

xdarkkenyx wrote:
TyWooOneTime wrote:

Where do you buy a box of MTG cards for $100? The shop I go to its $40 for a fat pack and I think $144 for a box. If there is a website I can get them cheaper at then I'll stop buying at the shop and get them online.

Your store is ripping you off! Where do you live? My LGS did 120 for fatpack and box...

I live in Portland, OR but I go to Nexus Games in Gresham, OR for my cards. If they are ripping me off then I'll have to look for another place to get cards at. Only reason I started getting cards from there is because they have the biggest groups of people on Friday and Saturday that play MTG and it is where my brothers go to play. hmm

- Keny -

xdarkkenyx wrote:

I live in Portland, OR but I go to Nexus Games in Gresham, OR for my cards. If they are ripping me off then I'll have to look for another place to get cards at. Only reason I started getting cards from there is because they have the biggest groups of people on Friday and Saturday that play MTG and it is where my brothers go to play. hmm

Here ya go dude. Check with the other LGS's first, they may have them for 100, most do within the first week, that way you can get it sooner. And if not here is a ton of websites for 100 even. http://store.tcgplayer.com/product.aspx?id=58058

One is bound to have free shipping

I'm going to call the LGS I go to tomorrow and make sure those are the prices they have. I know the fat packs were $40 each and when I asked my brother he said a box of booster packs was $140. If that is what they are selling them for then I'll be going somewhere else from now on.

- Keny -

xdarkkenyx wrote:

I'm going to call the LGS I go to tomorrow and make sure those are the prices they have. I know the fat packs were $40 each and when I asked my brother he said a box of booster packs was $140. If that is what they are selling them for then I'll be going somewhere else from now on.

Hey I sent you an email, there are people on ebay selling them for 100 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Avacyn-Rest … 500wt_1054

Awesome! I'll save the link and check them out when I get paid in 2 days. Thanks for the help big_smile

- Keny -

Turns out they were charging a lot more for the box of boosters then other places around here. $130 for a box there and another place I called today is selling them for $100.

I'm happy I found out about them over charging before giving them more of my money smile

- Keny -

If you're ever worried about the cost of something, just check around online.  It's nice to support your local shops, but not if they're marking things up that much.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

If you're ever worried about the cost of something, just check around online.  It's nice to support your local shops, but not if they're marking things up that much.

This is true. A box of boosters online was around $100 but mostly plus shipping. I found a good shop selling them for $100 and it was only a 5min longer drive to get there then the other shop I was going to so I went there today. I think I'll be going to this new place from now on smile

- Keny -

Generally your local shop is gonna cost you a few bucks more than going online, depending on how busy the store is the price seems to vary a little. If you have a small local shop and they charge $140/box. I say go ahead and spend the extra few bucks and pay it though. It's nice to have a place to go for FNM and to find other locals to play.

Last edited by Lucid (2012-05-10 07:33:14)

Go for the box. I have gotten fat packs and boxes also and I just started collecting again. I have never really gotten anything good from a fat pack, which is just my bad luck I guess, but the box is also pretty cool. You only need so many fat pack boxes also. In my opinion it is definitely worth getting a box instead of a few fat backs, cause in a box you get a total of 6(?) mythic's in a fat pack you're only guaranteed to get 9 rares, and they could just be bulk rares. Thats just my 2 cents.

Lucid wrote:

Generally your local shop is gonna cost you a few bucks more than going online, depending on how busy the store is the price seems to vary a little. If you have a small local shop and they charge $140/box. I say go ahead and spend the extra few bucks and pay it though. It's nice to have a place to go for FNM and to find other locals to play.

$140 for a box?!?! you can get a box on Channelfireball for like $108 plus something like 12 dollars for USPS shipping. I think $140 for a box is WAY too much. My local store sells boxes for $109 which is super nice.

My opinion is that a fat pack is worth it to buy once per set -- you get the neat d20 and the cool box (I do like the boxes -- they're sturdier than I expected them to be and the artwork is nice). And if you plan on collecting, the book is a nifty addition to your binder. But beyond that, if you're looking at the amount of cards you get for your dollar, you're better off buying boosters. Look at this price breakdown from one of my favorite sites to buy from (Troll and Toad):

Avacyn Restored Fat Pack ($44.99) - 9 Boosters
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p335405.html

Avacyn Restored 1/2 Booster Box ($49.99) - 18 Boosters
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p344707.html

So for almost the same price, you get twice as many boosters.