Topic: A Few New Ideas

So I partook in my first booster draft in 15 years the other day and actually managed to win the thing (go figure) using the following deck:

http://deckbox.org/sets/179111

I used the winnings to pick up the Venser vs. Koth Duel Decks which has spurred on a few new ideas to try.  I would love any feedback anyone can provide. 

The first is a constructed transformation of my draft deck.  The engine that really makes this deck work is Mad Prophet who will let me cycle through cards much more quickly than normally.  Reforge the Soul also helps if I've spent down to only one or two cards.  Otherwise the idea is just to burn through the deck quickly, play out lots of critters and even if they die, you recycle the graveyard with Elixir of Immortality and you use Mad Prophet to burn back through it again.  It will likely see primarily casual play, but given that it's actually Standard, FNM isn't out of the question.  I'm definitely open to any input here. 

http://deckbox.org/sets/179397

The second deck takes advantage of the wonderful "flickering" that AVR has introduced to us.  The real idea here is to be able to flicker EVERYTHING and get some benefit out of it - whether it be life gain via Cathedral Sanctifier, unsummony goodness via Aether Adept, spirit creation via Geist-Honored Monk, or just scrying through my deck to ensure I get what I want via Augury Owl.  There are a variety of big plays to make here.  First, I could simply have Venser, the Sojourner drop his emblem and then I exile all my opponents' stuff (simple enough, right?).  Second, I can blow up all their creatures with Gideon's Lawkeeper and a flickering Sunblast Angel.  A third option is to simply overpower the enemy with the Geist-Honored Monk and the spirits getting pumped via Cathar's Crusade, with each flicker of the Monk yielding +3/+3 counters all around.  Lastly, if all else fails or if a creature is really appealing Roil Elemental lets me steal their creatures as I can flicker my lands and trigger landfall numerous times a turn with Venser or Ghostly Flicker.  Even if they try to kill the Roil Elemental, I can flicker him and then just go back to taking their critters again.  As an added bonus,  flickering Mnemonic Wall serves as a blue Charmbreaker Devils but with the luxury of picking what I want to cycle back.  This will also likely see mostly casual play, but any feedback is welcome.

http://deckbox.org/sets/179133

Re: A Few New Ideas

Nobody has any thoughts on either one?...

omg love what you named the flicker deck....

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Nobody has any thoughts on either one?...

I am swamped sad  I'll try to get one in today though.

@naviguessor: I normally try to make a reference to what's going on in the deck or make something fun about the title... thanks for the props

@tawnos: No rush man.  I'm just curious why it looks like you and I are the only ones offering comments for decks... I thought the idea of being part of a community like this is to get ideas you might not have thought up to make the decks more effective/fun/competitive/whatever.

I feel ya, man. I like to hear back on my deck ideas too and it can be disheartening. At first I thought it was me and maybe the deck is just rehashed. Then I think this isn't a high traffic forum like I'm used to.

Without further ado, let me see if I can give some feedback: (I'll be skipping the draft, if you don't mind. Nice win though!)

The first one is pretty solid. I'm more of the type to shove 4 of each thing as much as possible but I do understand you can only play with what you got. You've got a sound plan too when you think you'll be low on cards and can essentially refresh. For me, I like more removal things and would try to put in 2 more Defang. I also like the other enchantments and if you can add more of those, they work so well together that it could be devastating. Of course, some things would have to go also. Because they could work, the bracers wouldn't be necessary. (I still like the spear though.)

When I first saw Moonlight Geist, I thought it was too much for it's ability. Not sure if you still need Seraph of Dawn and Zealous Strike either. Just my opinion and if this deck works like it is, awesome! I wouldn't touch a thing!

Now for the Venser deck, I love this guy. I had to get 4 of him ASAP when I wanted to do the flicker thing before AVR came out. I also capitalized on Stonehorn Dignitary and any ETB cards I could get my hands on to lockdown and control. But, they had to work together and like you, I had a bunch of plans and options. But I knew I couldn't explore all of them so I realized I had to cut mine down. So I'll start with the negatives (my opinions, of course) and end with the things I really like.

Nephalia Smuggler's ability is just way too expensive for what you have in this deck that can do the same thing; Venser's +2, cloudshift, ghostly flicker, and deadeye Navigator. In my opinion, even for a blocker, he's useless. The second thing that probably won't work like you want it are the lawkeepers and Sunblast Angel. You're hoping for 2 of the 3 cards to make it through your deck and it will hardly happen like you want it. I also thought about putting a ton of Sunblast in my venser deck, but there is so much to do around turn 6 for it to make a difference. (Like Geist-honored Monk for 5 multiple times)

I'm neutral on Stolen Goods. Not sure of it's presence in here unless you could consistently snapcaster or Mnemonic Wall it. I'd honestly like to try it to see how it pans out, but I wouldn't reserve it to stay. Journey to Nowhere is also a weird one. Not sure of it's intent unless it's for opponent removal. Sanctifier is a good idea and option, but another one I'd want to question. Augury owl and Aether Adept are more blockers and I never really got to use their ETB flicker abilities, but they are still good cards! But again, I've played Venser without Cloudshift and Ghostly Flicker, so that might change.

Now for the things I never thought of and need to change: I really like your Kor Cartographer and Roil Elemental you've got going. (I even had to snag some Elementals after looking at this) Geist-honored Monk and Cathars' Crusade also hella awesome. That's an incredible ramp up that I could not foresee coming until you explained it. And then you mentioned the R/W deck above and thoughts of Champion of the Parish with Thatcher Revolt and Fling danced in my head! I actually have "Pure Imgaination" playing in my head with the possibilities right at this moment.

Anyway, good job on the decks and thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to add some of my deck ideas on here too as I get them along hoping for some feedback as well.

P.S. Also like the flicker deck name. Awesome. :-)

And then I think maybe I said too much or I'm perceived as not knowing as much and giving bad advice.... Now I'm worried again. :-(

@Hellnikko - there's no need to worry, any advice is good advice.  Putting a few heads together is always better than just one.  That aside, I'm with you in thinking that both decks will need some extensive playtesting.

For the Psychic Hotline, I definitely hear ya on the 4x of the good stuff, as that's how I used to play.  I've started learning that you need a LOT more versatility in today's game or you end up finding decks that will just outright DESTROY you.  For instance, it used to be that if you put together a crazy creature ramping green deck, you just had to consider flyers.  Now you also have to consider the wealth of mass removal/board clearing effects out there (I remember when Wrath of God and Nevinyrral's Disk were all you had to worry about).  That aside, I'm mostly just going off what I found to be successful in the draft games (admittedly not representative of constructed, but still).  I too thought Moonlight Geist's ability was far too expensive, but if you think about it, it's a three-cost 2/1 flyer that can neutralize the enemy's strongest creature for four (who cares if it has trample either!).  I'm also sold on  Seraph of Dawn because it becomes a GREAT blocker when bonded with the Hanweir Lancer, 2/4 flying, lifelink, first strike?  Yes please.  Lastly, Zealous Strike is one of those simple little cards that nobody thinks about, at least not until they go attacking or blocking with that smug look on their face just waiting to get it wiped off wink.  If you (or anyone else) have suggestions for things that would be more effective I welcome the input.  I can see where this deck will be pesky, but by no means unbeatable and can imagine plenty of scenarios where I will get killed in constructed play.  I think this deck has some good things, but I'm not entirely sure about the long game win condition and such.  It has, however, opened my eyes to the beauty that is Elixir of Immortality as you can stop caring whether you dropped a card you like, because you'll just cycle through to get it later.

For the Power Bill, I hear you that Nephalia Smuggler is expensive, but it gives me a cheaper, more reliable way to ensure some flickering will take place.  I'm open to working him out if there were another means of flickering outside of Cloudshift and Ghostly Flicker.  Perhaps I'll work those toward another Mnemonic Wall or something to that effect.  For the Kor Cartographer and Roil Elemental, I'm glad you like the combo, but to be honest, I was thinking of the Cartographer just to get enough mana to make everything work.  The real strength of the Roil Elemental is if you Ghostly Flicker two of your lands, as it can target any permanent you control.  The result is that, if you play a land that turn as well, you end up triggering landfall three times in one turn and taking three of their critters (which is a win in my books wink ).  I'm definitely becoming a fan of Venser and hope to see him drop in price so I can pick up a few more to make sure I would draw him.  The idea of taking their stuff and then making them unblockable sounds just maddening to me, I cannot imagine being on the receiving end of that. 

The idea behind Journey to Nowhere is just to add another creature removal.  The beauty being that it's an enchantment, so you can flicker it too and choose a new target.  That and it's a TON cheaper than Oblivion Ring or Path to Exile.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.  I'll definitely consider yanking the Sunblast and Enforcers.  I could put another Roil in there to ensure that hilarity will ensue.

I'll also be happy to help out with your decks when you get them up.

Cheers!

For your Power Bill Deck have you considered Wall of Denial? It's kind of anti the entire theme of your deck but it's able to hold back most of what your opponents throw at you, it's like an insurance card for me personally but again it kinda contradicts the entire flicker theme

I can see where Wall of Denial could prove useful, but one of the beautiful things of flickering is that you can declare a blocker, have them block, and then flicker the creature before damage is dealt, making it unnecessary to put such a solid blocker out there.  I might sideboard it though, as I can definitely see where it could save your ass from time to time.  Thanks!

That's very true, again I only use it as insurance, i.e. you're nearly tapped out or don't have cards in hand that you need, but for the most part unnecessary in a good flicker deck

I also forgot to mention Conjurer's Closet, it's not nearly as cool as other cards because it's limited to creatures, but it can be useful especially since it's free every turn

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-06-03 03:42:49)

After seeing your flicker I decided to try my own, I took alot of the base design of yours (sorry for stealing it) but changed what the goal was, mine's made to pop out tokens and exile opponent's creatures permanently (there's also a mean shape anew into blightsteel combo in the sideboard but I usually play too casually to use it),  it's also a standard deck which changes a few things, I'd love to hear your ideas

http://deckbox.org/sets/182259

There's no need to apologize.  If you like a deck idea, you're welcome to run with it.

I'd considered Conjurer's Closet for my flicker deck, but at a cost of five and only being able to target creatures, there are just better options to flicker things.  Further, with the Deadeye Navigator or even Nephalia Smuggler you can flicker something more than once.  So while I can see the appeal of the Closet, I don't know that it works for the deck I'm putting together.  Then again, playtesting might reveal you're spot on.

Since your goal is to permanently exile enemy creatures, you need to include Sundial of the Infinite.  I was unaware that you could use it to clear out things that are already on the stack to be resolved, but apparently you can.  Meaning that if you have an Oblivion Ring targeting a creature, you can exile Oblivion Ring and then end the turn with Sundial and it prevents their creature from ever coming back (although I think it would cost you the Ring because their creature would come back before the Ring would return to play), but if put together with Temporal Adept that returns the permanent to your hand, I can see where it would work.

Personally, since I'm typically playing casually, I'm not that worried about standard vs non-standard format.  Then if you're going non-standard, I REALLY have to advocate for the Roil Elemental.  You can either rock a land locator like Primeval Titan/Kor Cartographer to bring more land out to trigger the landfall ability, or just flicker lands via Venser or Ghostly Flicker.

I dig all the Golem token generation, but I'm also a fan of Geist-Honored Monk because each flicker makes two flyers.  Also, if you're on the flickering train, you should definitely consider Cathars' Crusade.

Anyway, I hope it works for you.  I'm anxious to hear whether it's successful or not.

The only reason that I'm keeping it standard is because the people I know play standard sad Roil is really cool though, I have one myself, Also as far as the closet I use it because of the glimmerpoint stags, this way I can flicker anything that I have OR anything that my opponent has, that allows me even more shenanigans, i've also considered splashing green to pick up either parallel lives/maul splicer (more tokens) or red for warstorm surge because that could get pretty mean

As far as permanent exile the Phyrexian Ingesters and Exclusion Rituals both permanently exile something each time you flicker them without losing your card, so that's why I'm not a big fan of the Sundial, I would only use it with glimmerpoint stag, flicker the stag to flicker their anything then sundial to exile it but to be honest it's too complicated and I just don't want to have to explain it every time I use it since I don't have a consistent playgroup sad

Back to the closet however I am thinking about dropping them into sideboard to add in my extra Deadeye Navigators because they have been a lot more consistent, the ability to flicker things during my opponent's turn has been amazing, for 1U I can counter any spell that targets a permanent of mine so I think you're right about that.

I didn't have good results with the Nephalia Smuggler though, it was too expensive and I don't have an untap engine that makes it worth the extra cost

Right now i'm trying to decide if I need more card advantage, the cards I'm thinking about are Tower Geist and Gryff Vanguard

I am also testing alot of different token generators to see which I like the best, I might end up keeping in a Myr Battlesphere, 4 little myr per flicker and it can swing for TONS of damage after 1-2 flickers although flying tokens do sound sweet, especially on a vigilant body, the main reason I have not tested out the monk is because I don't have any yet (working on it) and my only cathar's crusade is in my Ghave EDH deck and it's too amazing in there to pull it out, once I get another one I'll test it out though

Getting the land that I need has been an issue for me and so I tried (unsuccessfully) to splash green  for the sole purpose of adding in Borderland Rangers but it got too unfocused, everything would be alot easier out of standard

But anyway in doing all of this the one thing I have decided is that Glimmerpoint Stag is now my favorite card for flicker because it's a perfect proxy, you can flicker anything with it and it's super easy to target with any of the flicker engines both of us use so if you've got any I would test it out, it's ridiculous, also I don't see an easy way for you to include it but training grounds could really improve the Smugglers, the Navigator is just fine without but I found the 4 mana very restrictive, which is why I turned to the closet for free flicker, I wish training grounds was standard sad

Flickering without Restoration Angel makes it rain on my insides sad

She has good evasion due to flying, and can therefore block the horde of AVR fliers.  While still cmc 4, it's a soft 4 since you only need one white to get her out.  Slight bit tougher with the Elk if you having an uneven color pull.

Or did I miss somewhere where she was put in earlier in the thread..?

To be honest, part of it has to do with the fact that a playset of any of the other flicker creatures cost less than she does, on top of that she's limited to your creatures and at least with my deck flying isn't really an issue because I usually have flying golems before any of the biggest angels come out. I think that it could be good to start flickering on t4 but I have the glimmerpoint stags for that, by the time I could play one I usually already played a wingcrafter, a cathedral sanctifier and a blade splicer so I have a 3/3 flying first strike golem, then t4 I either flicker the blade with a glimmerpoint or put out a wingcrafter.

IMO Restoration angel is a bit overrated, not worth 7$, but if I had some I would probably include 2 but no more than that.

imsully2 wrote:

As far as permanent exile the Phyrexian Ingesters and Exclusion Rituals both permanently exile something each time you flicker them without losing your card, so that's why I'm not a big fan of the Sundial, I would only use it with glimmerpoint stag, flicker the stag to flicker their anything then sundial to exile it but to be honest it's too complicated and I just don't want to have to explain it every time I use it since I don't have a consistent playgroup sad

Many times THIS. It took awhile before I could even understand the mechanics. I wouldn't want to explain this either. For me, it's a neat factor.