Topic: [Opinions] U/W Human Token deck: Improvements.

Need some opinions.
Thought I had a solid deck Idea, but after a few play-tests this deck's bombing bad.

The Main concept of the deck, get out as many tokens possible, ramp Parish, ect.. ect..

http://deckbox.org/sets/225529
4 Glacial Fortress
7 Island
9 Plains
3 Champion of the Parish
4 Elite Vanguard
2 Flight
2 Ponder
2 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Grand Abolisher
2 Honor of the Pure
3 Mana Leak
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Captain of the Mists
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Sword of Feast and Famine
4 Thraben Doomsayer
2 Riders of Gavony
2 Cathars' Crusade
1 Gideon Jura
1 Sun Titan

Re: [Opinions] U/W Human Token deck: Improvements.

Are you planning on keeping this deck in standard?

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

You've built a deck which sits an interesting fence, tokens are an aggro strategy, yet you've splashed blue for control, my advice: drop blue, go mono-white, also you need to decide if you want to go white weenie or white humans, white weenie would say drop the CoPs and pick up more token cards, Intangible Virtue, Lingering Souls, Timely Reinforcements, stuff along those lines, if you want to go humans then you should add some Silverblades and Nearheath Pilgrims along with probably dropping the elite vanguard\s, they're not as good as they seem, if you want to splash a color you've got tons of  options, you could keep the blue but not use any of the cards you're currently using, adding control to aggro does not work, you could however add Wingcrafter, vapor snag/unsummon and if you're going tokens and add a bunch of token creating spells I'd add delvers. if you add green Rancor is an option for humans, not really for tokens though, and Champion of Lambholt is a pretty good option either way. For red there's not much Hero of Oxid Ridge is a decent choice even if it is rotating, Reckless Waif is decent, but doesn't really fit the deck I'd rather use Somberwald Vigilante than Elite Vanguard anyday, don't bother with black if you're staying in humans, if you go for tokens then it's like a requirement, if nothing else just so you can flashback lingering souls

Hope some of that helps

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-09-14 16:55:45)

I should of added that I built this deck around the idea of using Captain of the mist, Thraben Doomsayer, and Champion of the Parish.

playing Parish out first, Thraben & Captain combo for tokens, ramp Parish.
at least that's the idea I entered into this deck with.

That is an interesting idea. However I would probably try moving towards GW Token Humans

Reasons
- Champion of Lambholt is amazing with tokens

- Access to Rancor (synergy with Champion of Lambholt, Wayfaring Temple (RtR), and Wild Beastmaster (RtR))

- Champion of Lambholt is not restricted to human creatures, unlike Champion of the Parish. This means you have access to more than just Gather the Townsfolk, Thraben Doomsayer and Increasing Devotion for token production

- Access to Mayor of Avabruck, Gavony Township, and Parallel Lives (sure to see more play since GW tokens will be more common)

- I'm sure that even more support will be announced for RtR soon

If you really want to play UW Humans, you have less token production by focusing on human tokens. The upside is that most of your tokens will have flying by not focusing on human tokens: Midnight Haunting, Moorland Haunt, Doomed Traveler, Geist of Saint Traft

EDIT: Here is a rough draft I put together in about 30 minutes. I didn't really test it, but it seems solid enough. And like I said, more support is sure to be released.

2    Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
3    Champion of Lambholt
3    Wayfaring Temple
2    Blood Artist
2    Avacyn's Pilgrim

3    Rancor
2    Parallel Lives
3    Intangible Virtue

4    Gather the Townsfolk
4    Lingering Souls

3    Rootborn Defenses
3    Midnight Haunting
3    Abrupt Decay

4    Temple Garden
4    Overgrown Tomb
4    Sunpetal Grove
2    Gavony Township
4    Isolated Chapel
2    Swamp
1    Plains
2    Forest

Last edited by Sillvva (2012-09-15 03:53:36)

Thanks!
I will test that out smile

Abrupt Decay is looking to be a little spendy (about $15 each), so from my current list I would recommend -3 Abrupt Decay and +2 Blood Artist, +1 Midnight Haunting for people with tighter budgets.

From what I have seen, Blood Artist is amazing. It makes your opponent think twice about casting things with Wrath effects, which is pretty good for token decks. Because of an increase in token support, I expect we'll see more Wrath effects once Boros returns.

Another thing to consider would be Sublime Archangel

Last edited by Sillvva (2012-09-15 04:23:30)

Sillvva wrote:

That is an interesting idea. However I would probably try moving towards GW Token Humans

Reasons
- Champion of Lambholt is amazing with tokens

- Access to Rancor (synergy with Champion of Lambholt, Wayfaring Temple (RtR), and Wild Beastmaster (RtR))

- Champion of Lambholt is not restricted to human creatures, unlike Champion of the Parish. This means you have access to more than just Gather the Townsfolk, Thraben Doomsayer and Increasing Devotion for token production

- Access to Mayor of Avabruck, Gavony Township, and Parallel Lives (sure to see more play since GW tokens will be more common)

- I'm sure that even more support will be announced for RtR soon

If you really want to play UW Humans, you have less token production by focusing on human tokens. The upside is that most of your tokens will have flying by not focusing on human tokens: Midnight Haunting, Moorland Haunt, Doomed Traveler, Geist of Saint Traft

EDIT: Here is a rough draft I put together in about 30 minutes. I didn't really test it, but it seems solid enough. And like I said, more support is sure to be released.

2    Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
3    Champion of Lambholt
3    Wayfaring Temple
2    Blood Artist
2    Avacyn's Pilgrim

3    Rancor
2    Parallel Lives
3    Intangible Virtue

4    Gather the Townsfolk
4    Lingering Souls

3    Rootborn Defenses
3    Midnight Haunting
3    Abrupt Decay

4    Temple Garden
4    Overgrown Tomb
4    Sunpetal Grove
2    Gavony Township
4    Isolated Chapel
2    Swamp
1    Plains
2    Forest

This seems like a cool deck, but it's nothing like the original and I'm thinking that the original had some good pieces, I think that something you could try is stick with the original UW and make it into control, maybe go with the flicker effects (Resto angel + Cloudshift + Ghostly Flicker) along with the new Detain mechanic so you have the time to set up whatever you need to, you'd also want to include counterspells, unsummon-type effects, and Mass Appeal, I think that would let you not have to go search for ALL brand new cards, good luck!

I led him toward GW because he said in his original post that the goal of the original deck was to put out as many tokens as possible. So I figured having access to more token production and the populate mechanic was the right way to go.

Also, in the new standard, uncounterable spells are going to be somewhat popular. So siding counters would be better than maining them. Especially since the better counters are rotating out (Mental Mistep and Mana Leak). There is still Dissipate though, which could be useful against Zombies since it exiles them. However so is Sever the Bloodline.

If he likes UW, then yes control is a theme you can choose. However, you can still be aggro with cards like:

2 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Drogskol Captain or Snapcaster Mage
3 Delver of Secrets
1 Sublime Archangel
3 Blood Artist

3 Detention Sphere (RtR, better than oblivion ring, still nonland permanent, but all with same name)
3 Intangible Virtue
3 Favorable Winds

4 Lingering Souls
3 Gather the Townsfolk
1 Entreat the Angels

4 Midnight Haunting
2 Rootborn Defenses (RtR)
3 Artful Dodge (this + Sublime or Geist = trollface)

2 Moorland Haunt
1 Vault of the Archangel
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Isolated Chapel
3 Drowned Catacomb
4 Plains
3 Island
2 Swamp

I hope they release a land that populates tongue

Last edited by Sillvva (2012-09-15 15:07:37)