Topic: H: Jace AOT W: FOW

also trading some other standard stuff, look at my tradelist and offer a trade.

If you have more rep than me, I will ship first

Re: H: Jace AOT W: FOW

Good luck with that, even if the Jace is foil...

never know

Please don't fill the forum with trades that are never going to happen...

Some dude just traded a bunch of tokens for a mind funeral, so yep, pretty much anything can happen.

They aren't that far off in value, add 1 card of mine and they are equal.....

Sure, they are close in value right NOW, but in 6 months, what's that Jace then worth?  I can pretty much guarantee that the FoW will be at the same value or higher.

Spiky standard value != legacy staple value.

I think the prevailing understanding is that Jace AOT is a standard card which has bloated in value due to a couple of decks using him, which has driven the price up.  Force of Will is a card that is always tradable and should continue to hold its value, if not appreciate.

Jace AOT at current doesn't have any usage outside the current standard environment and as such will dramatically drop in value once RtR rotates out of standard or is no longer used as much... IE See Bonfire of the Damned.  A Foil Bonfire would have traded straight up for a Taiga at its height, but now no one is playing them as much (And isn't seeing much play in the eternal formats) and now it's come down to a much more reasonable price.

TL;DR - If a card doesn't have an application outside of standard, you shouldn't expect it to trade straight up for a card that's been proven in a eternal format.

Last edited by Zuul36 (2012-10-22 18:21:52)

mvalliere wrote:

They aren't that far off in value, add 1 card of mine and they are equal.....

True but the big thing is FoW is a card that has steady increased value over time and is big staple in Legacy. Jace AoT wont ever retain that type of value and eventually will become a 15-20 card. JTMS is really the only planeswalker that a 1:1 trade is more in the realm of possibility. If you were to find a person willing to make that trade, your probably going to have to over trade by a decent amount because trading for a Jace AoT is alot easier to trade for right now than a FoW. Im by no means trying to tell you off from trying to make that trade but Jace AoT will drop in price sooner than you find a willing trade partner.

I would suggest selling it on eBay to get the most value right away as well as some other cards and just buy a FoW. You'll have what your looking for alot sooner and you wont hear people berate you about trying to make unrealistic trades roll

Agreed, sadly the value for value thing just doesn't work in some cases.

What I've done very successfully in the past is traded to get a playset of something standard that's of high value, sold it on eBay, and then used the proceeds to purchase whatever legacy thing that I wanted that wouldn't go in trade.

It's a pain, but it's a nice option.