Topic: Deckbox etiquette question

Hi all,

So this is a throw away account in order to protect the trader I will be talking about.

Anyway, I recently made a large (>$100) trade with a new user, 2 cards for 2 cards.  I asked him to ship first, he agreed and we exchanged addresses.  I expected that he would send his cards early next week and left it at that.

I check in today and find that he sent me a message claiming that he sold the main card I wanted by accident.  I haven't replied because I'm really not sure what to ask of this user.  I have been looking to complete my playset of the card he had for about 4 months and his was the last one I needed, so I'm pretty upset.  I also always honor my obligations here and would expect others to do the same. 

So - my question to you all is whether I should pursue this at all and, if so, what is a reasonable remedy.  He is a new user and could walk away with no real consequence (unless I wanted to pursue a lawsuit), but I'd really like to get the trade I made.  I am happy to disclose the nature of the parties via private message, but I didn't want to "out" him until I hear from some of you.

Anyway, I welcome all your thoughts.  Hopefully we can arrive at an equitable solution for both parties.

Re: Deckbox etiquette question

The real question here is whether you sent your cards or not. 

If you didn't send yours yet, then technically you're not out anything other than some time and the headache of the person reneging on the deal.  Sadly this means there isn't really much recourse for you, but thankfully you're not out the cash.  Personally, I would cancel the trade and definitely leave a negative feedback, but given that cancelled trades don't affect your trade rating (at least to my knowledge) that really wouldn't do much.  You're welcome to ask Sebi to potentially flag the person as an unreliable trader or something. 

If you DID send your cards, my understanding from the other discussions regarding bad traders is that you need to have a Delivery Confirmation number to be able to pursue any sort of mail fraud or anything like that.

An alternative option would be to ask the other trader to either purchase another card and ship it to you, as that was the agreed upon exchange.  But I'm hesitant to believe the person would be willing to go that route.

It really is unfortunate that this sort of stuff happens but there isn't all that much that can be done about it.  The key is whether you sent or not.  If not, count your lucky stars and go from there.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I didn't send my cards (since he actually didn't give me his address yet).  Im going to see if he can get the card back and complete the trade or get a replacement and move forward (although it doesn't seem likely), and we'll go from there.

I asked him to ship first, he agreed and we exchanged addresses.

I didn't send my cards (since he actually didn't give me his address yet).

Well, which is it? I assume the second one. If addresses were not exchanged, the trade is not considered completed.