Topic: Need a cheap (~$2-3) way to mail cards with tracking.

Apparently USPS doesn't accept small bubble mailers unless we're willing to spend 6-7 to get tracking anymore.  I'm unaware of how their policies changed since I last mailed out cards around 6 months ago but I guess my old way is out of the question.  No wonder USPS is failing hard.

Last edited by cornely06 (2012-12-10 21:07:15)

Re: Need a cheap (~$2-3) way to mail cards with tracking.

I go to www.paypal.com/shipnow and it only costs me $1.64 to mail a #000 bubble mailer with delivery confirmation. You need a way to weigh the envelope and contents though. Usually it's not more than 1 oz and sometimes it's 2 oz. If it is more than 2 oz the cost is like $1.80 but that is still under $2 so it's not bad.

I hope this helps.

GarrukWildspeaker wrote:

I go to www.paypal.com/shipnow and it only costs me $1.64 to mail a #000 bubble mailer with delivery confirmation. You need a way to weigh the envelope and contents though. Usually it's not more than 1 oz and sometimes it's 2 oz. If it is more than 2 oz the cost is like $1.80 but that is still under $2 so it's not bad.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.  I'm probably just going to start mailing without tracking though but I'll keep this in mind if I need dc.  Not getting scammed by USPS again that's for damn sure.

Are you mailing the cards directly from the post office? I also use the PayPal shipping method GarrukWildspeaker posted and $1.64 usually covers me for shipping most of my trades within the U.S. Plus, it does give you a delivery confirmation number. I simply drop my padded envelopes right in a mailbox. Done and done.

brightmatrix wrote:

Are you mailing the cards directly from the post office? I also use the PayPal shipping method GarrukWildspeaker posted and $1.64 usually covers me for shipping most of my trades within the U.S. Plus, it does give you a delivery confirmation number. I simply drop my padded envelopes right in a mailbox. Done and done.

Ya I used to walk into the post office and mail these exact bubble mailers about 6 months ago for much, much cheaper.  Now it's over twice as much.  Guy already slapped the stickers on the packages before he blindsided me with this change.

I'll probably just stick with no dc as I'd rather risk it than give paypal or USPS anymore money than I have to.

I use paypal to print out labels almost exclusively now because my local Post Office gives me a hard time about tracking small bubble mailers too.  The best way to get around their requirements is to make the bubble mailer thicker than 3/4" which is pretty easy to do if you tape a couple extra pieces of cardboard around the cards.  I've been accused of "overpackaging" before, but I'd rather not be hassled at the post office.  I've also found that the post office employees are generally happy to accept pre-paid packages, even if they do not meet the minimum dimensional requirements for tracking. 

Another huge benefit of pre-paid shipping labels aside from the tracking is that I can walk right up to the counter at the Post Office, put my packages in the designated pre-paid postage section, and walk right out.  I don't wait in line at the post office anymore.

Pro tip on Bubble Mailers.  Get the ones where the inside pouch is about twice as long as what you need, then fold it over / tape the ends together after sealing it up.  Makes the envelope over 3/4" so USPS can't complain, and should still give you enough room for the paypal tracking label.

Saw this tip on a similar post about 6 mos ago on here.  Thanks, person that told us then.

I like the post office by my house as it has an APC (Automated Postage Center). I can get DC from there with no human interaction.

GarrukWildspeaker wrote:

I hope this helps.

The Paypal shipping method actually covers up to 3oz w/ DC for $1.64.  Or at least it did for me this morning.