Topic: Proxies and Comment Boxes

I am a huge fan of deck design and love to playtest new deck designs I have added to my profile.  I usually will go out and buy the cheap cards, but when I design a deck with expensive cards I like to test with proxies before I dump loads of cash on a deck(been burned too many times on expensive cards that i eventually removed).  Usually will just go out to magiccards.info and start adding cards to my proxy print queue and away I go but its tedious.

Would be really nice if we could get a printable page of proxies based on our decks.  It would be nice to have it setup like a View (similar to the current "Spoiler" view of a deck) but the Proxy view would only list cards in the deck that are not currently in my inventory.  That way i can add cards that I have bought or are being shipped and can print the remaining ones.

On an easier note: Would love to have the default comment box to be slightly taller, in FF its only about 3 lines tall and can be hard to use, i know there are other ways to change that (i use chrome), but a slightly taller comment box as the default would be much easier to use.

Re: Proxies and Comment Boxes

Surely you could just copy paste a card image into word and print it?

Or maybe do what I do... stick a land in a sleeve with a post-it note stuck to it with the details of the intended card on it?

There are a dozen ways to do it, sometimes its as easy as a piece of paper and a pen, or like you said, copy and pasting an image to a word doc/pdf and then printing out.  I usually just go to a site, grab the images I want, print and slip into a sleeve with a land or common.

I was merely making a feature suggestion that others might find useful.

deckbox already has all the images, and already provides a "spoiler" view of your deck, from a development standpoint creating an alternative view that is already "printable" isn't too difficult and would make the process a heck of alot easier for those that use proxies.

If you are in dire need of multiple proxies and you don't want to write them out, go to http://magiccards.info/

There is a link on each card's page for 1, 2, 3, or 4 proxies. Wouldn't hurt to have this as a site feature here.

However, for the purposes of testing versus competitive decks, here is what I used to do: Get a 12 pack of colored pencils or markers that don't smudge, and a pack of 3x5 index cards. Print up your decklists for the decks you want to run against, and split the 3x5 cards so that they be come 3x2.5. Then, simply write the card names on the index cards, one per card, one color per cardlist, until you are done. Lastly, sleeve them with a backwards land or something, and then you have a pile of 60 cards that represents anywhere from 3 to 8 decks for solo playtesting.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/ehndgaim/th_SigLogo.jpg
When you are here, you are one of the family.
Connect with the family on Facebook comming soon!

I have been using proxies for a long time now, and currently I usually open up a 2nd window on http://magiccards.info.  Anything listed in my deck that i don't have or don't already have on order, I use the proxy feature on magiccards.info.

Having this same feature on deckbox would make it easier for users, but why not just have a single link (or button) that adds all the missing cards in a specific deck to a proxy printout page on deckbox?

Looking at magiccards.info, it appears that adding cards to the proxy page is just a simple URL parameter, so integrating with magiccards.info wouldn't be too difficult to have a link that just adds cards from deckbox to magiccards.info. Additionally, ooks like it stores the proxy info via a cookie named "proxy" with all the cards you currently have added, but is set to expire on session.

Last edited by zenatic (2010-10-20 13:26:44)

I was just thinking....Magiccards.info is great for magic users, but deckbox isn't just for Magic.  Integrating with other game specific sites for proxies would probably be less efficient than creating the process from scratch within deckbox, that way it could be used for all currently supported games and future added games.