Topic: Serious Issue with deck Price Calculation

Basic lands need to be valued at $0.00

Something odd has happened in the last couple days, and prices of decks are reporting huge discrepancies.

Both Plains, and Swamp have $70+ values each for (mid-cost) and $100,000 for the high cost. I used to be just ok with the $1~ amount for lands, but it's about time we just zero'ed out the Basic Land values.

http://deckbox.org/mtg/Swamp
http://deckbox.org/mtg/Plains

Thanks again for all your hard work and 'free' time you put into the site. It's very much appreciated!

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 12.12.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 12.12.04 PM.png 96.11 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Serious Issue with deck Price Calculation

SWEET!  I've got a bunch of mint swamps and plains to sell you big_smile

Last edited by Zooligan (2012-12-20 20:07:37)

This has to do with the API that deckbox currently draws from and is a known issue (some of you might remember a similar blip in prices not that long ago).  I know that Sebi is exploring options to address this problem for the next release of the site.  For the time being the best, and simplest, way to deal with this is to set your price preference to the TCG low prices in your profile settings - this isn't a bad idea to do anyway as then you're trading/viewing the prices that you could just go buy the cards for.

I think the median price is more often an accurate price of retail cost. Low tends to be 'too' low in my experience.

low can get messed up, especially for smaller cards, because some people on TCGplayer make up for it with high shipping costs. I like using the mid-price, if the mid-price wasn't so wrong smile

We could get into a rather lengthy debate about the virtues of each price setting; however, as the original post was regarding a problem for the pricing of basic land and what that would do to the estimated cost of a deck, I stand by my recommendation.  The low price would result in the lands being valued at roughly 1-2 cents each, which I would imagine is likely quite fair.

For the other points that were raised:

Wismac wrote:

I think the median price is more often an accurate price of retail cost. Low tends to be 'too' low in my experience.

This would be great if TCG offered a median price, as it would be more resistant to outliers skewing the price distribution.  However, as they only offer an average (which uses the arithmetic mean), you don't really have that option to run with.  Further, it's possible to dig around a bit on TCG and find all those cards at, or near, their low prices.  If you're buying a fair number of cards this way, it definitely can outweigh any added shipping cost.  This is why I, personally, use the low value as it doesn't make any sense to me to pay $0.15 for a common or uncommon that I could easily go buy for $0.01.  Heck, you could probably make money by buying up a ton of them and then trading them at the $0.15 value if others will let you (pending that someone actually wants them...).

rfioren wrote:

low can get messed up, especially for smaller cards, because some people on TCGplayer make up for it with high shipping costs. I like using the mid-price, if the mid-price wasn't so wrong

Two things.  First, the low price would not be affected by the shipping costs of any of the retailers, given that shipping is not included in the prices provided for any of the cards.  To that end, if you dig around enough, you can find pretty decent shipping costs.  A lot of the smaller retailers actually run standard mail shipping for only $0.99.  Because of that I've managed to sit and shave $20 - $30 off of card orders by just digging around and looking through them.  Sure, you might end up paying a touch more than the lowest possible price, but in many instances you're still not even  approaching the mean value for the card.

Second, you illustrate my reasoning for using the low price for me with the last statement.  Until the pricing can be sorted out, I'd suggest going with the low.  Otherwise be sure to look and ensure that the value of each card in the trade isn't skewed - and sadly, a bunch of them are.  Go take a look at the non-planeswalker Nicol Bolas.  He's sitting at roughly $6, but in no way, shape, or form should you go by that price.

Obviously this is a preference issue, and you're welcome to go with the price setting you prefer (and that you and any trade partners agree upon), but for the purposes of addressing Wismac's land-pricing issue, the "low" price option is likely going to be your best bet.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Second, you illustrate my reasoning for using the low price for me with the last statement.  Until the pricing can be sorted out, I'd suggest going with the low.  Otherwise be sure to look and ensure that the value of each card in the trade isn't skewed - and sadly, a bunch of them are.  Go take a look at the non-planeswalker Nicol Bolas.  He's sitting at roughly $6, but in no way, shape, or form should you go by that price.

It is worth noting that 50% of the types of Nicol Bolas are worth more the FTV printing goes for easilly 50$ so thats going to skew the price quite a bit