Topic: W: Bonfire H: Foil Deathrite

I have a friend of mine looking to trade his foil Deathrite for 2 Bonfires straight up.  Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by gookies5 (2013-01-23 04:40:08)

Re: W: Bonfire H: Foil Deathrite

offer sent

I have a foil angel if you are interested.

David98900 wrote:

I have a foil angel if you are interested.

I value foils at regular card price.  Not a foil chaser, but will trade for the $13-$15 it's worth

bump

I have angel of serenity

bump

Offer sent

Quote #1

gookies5 wrote:

I value the deathrite at $65 trade currently.

Quote #2

gookies5 wrote:

I value foils at regular card price.  Not a foil chaser, but will trade for the $13-$15 it's worth

So based on your two statements if it's YOUR foil, you value it as a foil, but everyone else can get bent if it's their foil.  Am I right?

cbwebber wrote:

Quote #1

gookies5 wrote:

Quote #2

gookies5 wrote:

So based on your two statements if it's YOUR foil, you value it as a foil, but everyone else can get bent if it's their foil.  Am I right?

I think he (or she) is allowed to do that. Something like foil is entirely dependent upon the person trading for it. If he doesnt think foils are better, why should he trade more for them? I have no problem trading at foil cards for more, but if someone doesnt care, they can value them at whatever theyd like.

I do the same things with foils.

I don't personally want them (minus a few very specific exceptions), and actually DISLIKE playing with them since they feel different (to me).

So I don't trade for them, if someone only has a foil I won't trade the added value. They don't have to accept the trade tongue

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

Velocizachtor wrote:
cbwebber wrote:

Quote #1

gookies5 wrote:

Quote #2

gookies5 wrote:

I think he (or she) is allowed to do that. Something like foil is entirely dependent upon the person trading for it. If he doesnt think foils are better, why should he trade more for them? I have no problem trading at foil cards for more, but if someone doesnt care, they can value them at whatever theyd like.

Just as someone is able to value cards at whatever they want, people are also able to refuse whatever they want.
People often take offense to being lowballed, so I would not suggest offering regular card prices for their foil counterpart, regardless of your view on foils.
If a foil is the only version of a card you're able to obtain, you should probably get over the fact that it'll likely cost you more in trades, or move on to someone else who has a regular version of the card you're looking for.

Profile | Tradelist | Wishlist
I'll sometimes trade things in my Inventory. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Yes, I don't care about foils, but I want what they're worth when I'm the one trading them.  Nothing wrong with that method of thinking.

gookies5 wrote:

Yes, I don't care about foils, but I want what they're worth when I'm the one trading them.  Nothing wrong with that method of thinking.

Actually, there's kind of a lot wrong with that. Unlike what others are saying about the value being what people are willing to pay, you're freely acknowledging "what they're worth" and not willing to give that to someone else while expecting to get your due. You can't have your cake and eat it too, it's either worth the foil price for everyone involved or it's not for anyone. If you REALLY don't care about foils, then you'd be trading them away as regular cards just as you're expecting to receive them; it's quite clear that profit is the real issue.

If you don't want foils, then you shouldn't be trading for them instead of screwing that guy out of the value you freely acknowledge is there. If you're not willing to maintain a consistent value on foils, that's fine, but if you're doing that and still trading in them, then just admit you're looking to trade up and flip them for added value; I'd have far more respect for that admission (though still never trade with you).

Again, everyone has the right to say no, which is why I'd never trade with you. Trade how you want to trade, I have no stake in this, but I feel compelled to call out hypocrites who try to rationalize their shady deals. Do what you want, but don't pretend you're being fair about it.

BaronVonVaderham wrote:
gookies5 wrote:

If you don't want foils, then you shouldn't be trading for them instead of screwing that guy out of the value you freely acknowledge is there.

I'm not freely trading for foils... I opened them and don't want them.  Why would I trade for $50 less when that's not what the card is worth

Just as someone is able to value cards at whatever they want, people are also able to refuse whatever they want.
People often take offense to being lowballed, so I would not suggest offering regular card prices for their foil counterpart, regardless of your view on foils.
If a foil is the only version of a card you're able to obtain, you should probably get over the fact that it'll likely cost you more in trades, or move on to someone else who has a regular version of the card you're looking for.

+1

What really bugs me about this is valuing it at $65 when SCG has them at $60 and you can pick one up on Ebay for $40-50. Trade Value is less than retail, not more. It's one thing to not have it on your tradelist and get inquiries on it that you say "I really don't want to get rid of this card, but I will if you offer me more in trade than SCG prices. Otherwise, I want to keep it" to, but actively looking to trade it at a value more than even SCG has it at irks me.

reignofkindo wrote:

+1

What really bugs me about this is valuing it at $65 when SCG has them at $60 and you can pick one up on Ebay for $40-50. Trade Value is less than retail, not more. It's one thing to not have it on your tradelist and get inquiries on it that you say "I really don't want to get rid of this card, but I will if you offer me more in trade than SCG prices. Otherwise, I want to keep it" to, but actively looking to trade it at a value more than even SCG has it at irks me.

Ebay arguments are irrelevant... cash does not equal trade value in cards.

What? Did you read my post? It was about how you're asking for even more in trade than SCG has them at. Me mentioning ebay values was just an aside. The whole post was about.. what you just said. "cash does not equal trade value in cards." Trade Value is always LESS than retail value, not more. Why would someone trade their cards using prices that are MORE than what the cards cost, even from the most expensive of retailers?

reignofkindo wrote:

What? Did you read my post? It was about how you're asking for even more in trade than SCG has them at. Me mentioning ebay values was just an aside. The whole post was about.. what you just said. "cash does not equal trade value in cards." Trade Value is always LESS than retail value, not more. Why would someone trade their cards using prices that are MORE than what the cards cost, even from the most expensive of retailers?

I forgot SCG is the bible of card values...  my fault

EDIT:  Also look at when this was originally posted... prices fluctuate... please get off my ass about this.

Last edited by gookies5 (2013-01-22 18:10:08)

I love all the shit that's occurring because of this; happened to my statement too. No one if forcing anyone to accept a trade so it's all perspective. If someone wants to value the way they do; they'll just have to deal with rejection if the offer is not to other's liking.

Anyway; I'll trade for it at $20.

I know right?  Thanks but I traded it away.  I know a friend of mine has a foil shaman as well.  I'll message you if he intends on trading it.

I didn't mean to start a shit storm, I just found this case to be kind of funny when one card IS valued at foil value, but others aren't, like one foil is more magically delicious than others.  I don't care how people value as long as it's fair.  There are established prices and history for foils, yes they aren't as common as non-foils, but they are there.  It honestly shouldn't be some arbitrary thing, but as it's been said, you can honestly value things at anything you want, but it should be fair.

You want to use TCG Minimum, great, use it on both sides.
You want to value your foil as a foil, let others do as well.

That's all I'm saying, it's about being fair is all.

Last edited by cbwebber (2013-01-22 21:49:30)

cbwebber wrote:

I didn't mean to start a shit storm, I just found this case to be kind of funny when one card IS valued at foil value, but others aren't, like one foil is more magically delicious than others.  I don't care how people value as long as it's fair.

You want to use TCG Minimus, great, use it on both sides.
You want to value your foil as a foil, let others do as well.

That's all I'm saying, it's about being fair is all.

No, you DID intend on starting it.  Why even chime in?  None of this concerned you.  I'm not scamming anyone nor am I intentionally ripping anyone off.  I'm clearly stating what I value cards at, foiled or not.  Foils don't interest me, so I trade them away at their foiled price.  If someone offers me a foil, I tell them I only value it at the regular non-foiled price

Just because I personally value foils like a regular card doesn't mean I can't value the foils I'm trading for their foiled value when I know there's demand and value for them.

reignofkindo wrote:

Trade Value is always LESS than retail value, not more.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I had always assumed that trade value was always higher than cash value (uness "retail value" is something different).  The reasoning was that, if I have cash to buy cards, I would rather go to the cheapest source (either TCG low or ebay) and I'm entitled to do that since I'm using cash to trade for cards.  On the other hand, trading cards for cards usually allows both people to try and come up with a fair value for all the cards involved (usually TCG med or other retail outlet).  Hence, I always expect a discount from the "trade value" when I pay cash since you can then use the cash to do whatever you want whereas trading a card only allows you to keep trading cards.

W2T wrote:
reignofkindo wrote:

Trade Value is always LESS than retail value, not more.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I had always assumed that trade value was always higher than cash value (uness "retail value" is something different).  The reasoning was that, if I have cash to buy cards, I would rather go to the cheapest source (either TCG low or ebay) and I'm entitled to do that since I'm using cash to trade for cards.  On the other hand, trading cards for cards usually allows both people to try and come up with a fair value for all the cards involved (usually TCG med or other retail outlet).  Hence, I always expect a discount from the "trade value" when I pay cash since you can then use the cash to do whatever you want whereas trading a card only allows you to keep trading cards.

Not sure what reignofkindo is thinking but you're right. Trade value is always above retail if you're going logically. Most people just use retail to retail in trades so it doesn't matter.

In MTG; values are set pretty nicely using TCGplayer.
In YuGiOh and Cardfight Vanguard, they haven't developed a sophisticated enough TCGplayer type site so they just use trade value as ~$5 above cash value.