Topic: Need help with a Biovisionary deck.

For some reason Biovisionary has really caught my interest so I thought I'd try and build a deck around it.  I could use some help.  I am thinking
Biovisonary
Stolen Identity
Parallel Lives
Clone
Fog (for defense)
Fog Bank (for defense)

I don't know what all else.  I'm thinking counterspells of one sort or another.  Also some search my library spells.  Maybe some unblockables to cipher the Stolen Identity on.

Suggestions?

Re: Need help with a Biovisionary deck.

Cackling Counterpart is always a good option, Clinging Mists can buy you time, if you're willing to add black Evil Twin can serve as extra Clones, Infinite Reflection is also a possibility

Here is my build.

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Biovisionary
4 Thragtusk
1 Restoration Angel
2 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

4 Cackling Counterpart
4 Farseek
2 Seance
2 Rootborn Defenses/Growing Ranks
4 Druid's Deliverance
1 Infinite Reflection

1 Garruk Relentless

4 Temple Garden
4 Breeding Pool
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Sunpetal Grove
3 Glacial Fortress
3 Hinterland Harbor
1 Alchemist's Refuge
1 Grove of the Guardian
1 Forest

Last edited by Sillvva (2013-02-01 13:46:41)

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

I would suggest some means of giving hexproof to the Visionary (whether it be Elgaud Shieldmate, Mask of Avacyn, or something more temporary), as a hexproof biovisionary enchanted with Infinite Reflection is essentially an immediate victory.  I'm not aware of any instant speed board wipes that would kill it once it's hexproof.

I could also see Rootborn Defenses being more consistently useful than Growing Ranks as it will allow you to setup your biovisionaries and and protect against removal.  I'd also say Nevermore is a MUST for the sideboard as Sever the Bloodline pretty much ruins you.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

I would suggest some means of giving hexproof to the Visionary (whether it be Elgaud Shieldmate, Mask of Avacyn, or something more temporary), as a hexproof biovisionary enchanted with Infinite Reflection is essentially an immediate victory.  I'm not aware of any instant speed board wipes that would kill it once it's hexproof.

I could also see Rootborn Defenses being more consistently useful than Growing Ranks as it will allow you to setup your biovisionaries and and protect against removal.  I'd also say Nevermore is a MUST for the sideboard as Sever the Bloodline pretty much ruins you.

I like the Rootborn Defenses idea. On the idea of hexproof, other than to deal with Sever the Bloodline, I don't think its really needed. Seance covers non-exile boardwipe and spot removal. Then populate and counterpart allows me to copy the tokens. It just seems like an awful lot to use slots on support for one card. As you can see I also have backup in Thragtusk and Restoration Angel.

I think another good support card would be Garruk. Making 3/3 tokens and drawing cards is relevant.

Last edited by Sillvva (2013-02-01 13:43:22)

I'm surprised no one has thought to make a reanimator deck w/ counterspells against boardwipes and using Avacyn to make everything indesctructible. Might be hard to do, but it may be worth a shot.

drpunkerz wrote:

I'm surprised no one has thought to make a reanimator deck w/ counterspells against boardwipes and using Avacyn to make everything indesctructible. Might be hard to do, but it may be worth a shot.

Kind of irrelevant to this topic...

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm heading over to my FLGS today and I'll try and pick up a few of these cards.  I'll keep you all posted!!

Actually the reanimator idea is not irrelevant to this as a white blue shell that plays all control, mills most of it's library into the yard, and then comobs out with angel of glory's rise to put all the biovisionaries out at once, and counters to protect them........

Okay folks.  Here's my first stab at it.  I need to cut 7.  I'm leaning towards cutting at least some of the Stolen Identity due to mana cost and I won't really be using the cipher but I like the token copies. 

Help is appreciated!

http://deckbox.org/sets/324679

I would drop the Parallel Lives for some Dissipates.  You're more likely going to want some added countering than the lives.  Sure they help you double the token copies, in the same respect, you're sitting on 14 some odd ways to generate/populate those tokens.  Having a Dissipate to deal with Sever the Bloodline could be huge.

I would drop 2x Stolen Identity for the reasons you identified.  I would slide in two Rootborn Defenses for the countless board-wipe control builds out there (and they offer you two more populate options).

I would, to be honest, drop Clinging Mists - you're sitting on enough damage prevention with Fog and Druid's Deliverance that you're probably going to be pretty safe most of the time.  I would even consider dropping the Sleeps as well, as, let's be honest, a well timed Aetherize will be a much heavier blow.  On top of that, you can totally lure them in with the Fog effects.

For the SB, I would toss in another 2x Aetherize and 2x Rootborn Defenses (pending you don't mainboard them).  Aside from that, the SB strikes me as a place to have some Centaur Healers for use against aggro matchups and a LOT more counter-magic to watch your arse against control matchups.

Based on some previous comments I also picked up 2x Nevermore for the sideboard.  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll tweak it and post a new link.

Okay, based on TyWooOneTime's suggestions I modified the deck again and included a sideboard this time.  Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with this deck.  Of course I've yet to test it out.  I'll be heading to my FLGS at my earliest opportunity to test it under fire.

As always, constructive criticism, suggestions and comments are welcome!

http://deckbox.org/sets/324679

Good call on the Nevermores.  I had been meaning to say that one but it slipped my mind.  I would, however, suggest kicking it up to 4x in the SB over some of the Infinite Reflections.  Three reasons for that move.  1) Infinite Reflection isn't really ideal as most of the creatures you're going to make will be token copies of Biovisionary (and as such, won't be affected by it); 2) it really is a win-more card considering how many pieces you already have for making copies of the visionary; 3) without hitting Nevermore reliably, a single Slaughter Games essentially ends the game.

Good luck!

Until I track down a couple Nevermore cards I'm stuck at 2 as that is all I own.  I did swap out a growing ranks for a stolen identity in the MB and put the growing tanks in the SB in the place of an Infinite Reflections.  I realized I had a ton of populates but only Cackling Counterpart to actually make a token out of the Biovisionary.

Wow.  This deck is far exceeding my expectations so far.  I can't believe how good it is doing and how quick it is.  I did manage to get a hold of 2 more Nevermore so I'll be adding those to the sideboard.  I still need to find another low drop way (other than cackling counterpart) to make tokens from the biovisionary to help speed up all the populates.  Thoughts?

I don't think there is a way to copy creatures for less than Cackling Counterpart.  Perhaps some ramping?  I wouldn't overthink it too much.

I was actually asking about token copies cheaper than stolen identity.  I have lots of populates but only 4 cards (cackling counterpart) to make the first token copy of the biovisionary.  Stolen identity (4BB)costs twice cackling counterpart (1BB). and since I don't use the cipher it's just too expensive.  suggestions based on my more accurately stated request? (Note that I thought about splashing some black and adding Evil Twin but if someone hits it with a treasonous act or similar it can wipe me out).

Last edited by USMCDaddy (2013-02-27 01:34:31)

I could see where adding black could give you quite a few options in terms of creating more copies with Evil Twin (which isn't THAT big of a threat to your guys, as they would have to both take your guy AND have black and blue mana left over to use its ability).   The added removal and the potential to use Jarad's Orders to go grab another visionary is a plus.  But keep in mind such a move dilutes your mana-base and you'll lose some consistency there.

If you're worried about things like Sever the Bloodline, that's what Nevermore is for.  Similarly, Mizzium Skin, Ranger's Guile, and Sheltering Word would all help there.

I think with four visionaries, four cackling counterparts, four clones, and two stolen identities will give you a pretty solid number of options for putting out the biovisionaries.  I would worry more about staying alive long enough to get all of them on the field (and protecting them when they get there).

TyWooOneTime wrote:

If you're worried about things like Sever the Bloodline, that's what Nevermore is for.  Similarly, Mizzium Skin, Ranger's Guile, and Sheltering Word would all help there.

Don't forget Simic Charm which can protect from burn, act as removal, and protect from removal

So I got an invite to an invitation only Standard Constructed at my FLGS tonight.  I'm taking this deck.  I'm considering removing a cancel and a rootborn defenses from the sideboard and adding a pair of Simic Charm.  Or maybe throwing them in the MB in place of the Stolen Identities? Good idea?  Bad idea?  Over thinking it again?

Last edited by USMCDaddy (2013-03-04 19:09:13)

and.... That was painful.  0-4 with each game losing 0-2.  0-8 on the night and it was never even close.  Back to the drawing board.

I made this: http://deckbox.org/sets/295469 and played at my LGS, went 2-2, so it didnt do very well, but it was a lot of fun to play!