Topic: Exporting DeckBox to Magic Assistant

Hi everyone, new user here and new to MTG generally.

Having bought a bunch of commons from ebay just to get me started, I was immediately faced with the problem I assume every collector faces:
How the hell do I organise it all?

That is when I found DeckBox and I am very glad!

Having put about half my cards into my DeckBox inventory, I realised that it might sometimes be useful to be able to have the same inventory offline, in the free software Magic Assistant. However, there was no way I was going to manually input all the same cards a second time.

I noticed DeckBox has an export to csv feature and to cut a long story short I have written a script that converts this .csv output into the xml format used by a collection in Magic Assistant. Unfortunately, because the exported csv doesn't include each card's unique id number I had to use (and heavily edit) a website scraper that gets this information directly from Gatherer.

However, after working on it for most of the day (I'm learning to program at the same time) it finally seems to work, and I'm happy with myself!

Only really posting on here to say that this exists and if anybody would like a copy of my script then please let me know in this thread or message me with your contact details.

NB. the script is written in python and is a bit rough around the edges, but it works if you put the files in the right place.

Cheers!
Hamish

Re: Exporting DeckBox to Magic Assistant

Hamish wrote:

Hi everyone, new user here and new to MTG generally.

Having bought a bunch of commons from ebay just to get me started, I was immediately faced with the problem I assume every collector faces:
How the hell do I organise it all?

That is when I found DeckBox and I am very glad!

Having put about half my cards into my DeckBox inventory, I realised that it might sometimes be useful to be able to have the same inventory offline, in the free software Magic Assistant. However, there was no way I was going to manually input all the same cards a second time.

I noticed DeckBox has an export to csv feature and to cut a long story short I have written a script that converts this .csv output into the xml format used by a collection in Magic Assistant. Unfortunately, because the exported csv doesn't include each card's unique id number I had to use (and heavily edit) a website scraper that gets this information directly from Gatherer.

However, after working on it for most of the day (I'm learning to program at the same time) it finally seems to work, and I'm happy with myself!

Only really posting on here to say that this exists and if anybody would like a copy of my script then please let me know in this thread or message me with your contact details.

NB. the script is written in python and is a bit rough around the edges, but it works if you put the files in the right place.

Cheers!
Hamish

Nice!
I don't use Magic Assistant myself.  Will have to look into it.
Sounds like you've put some work into it.  You might think of posting the python code up to pastebin or another such site and then link to it here and maybe over at www.reddit.com/r/magictcg
I think plenty of folks would be grinny to have its use!

/goatJig