Topic: Deckbox to OCTGN

Hey all, I created a little app to export decks from Deckbox so that you can use them in OCTGN.
The download is about 11kb.

http://www.gilligames.com/downloads/Deckbox2OCTGN.zip

This is from the included ReadMe.txt, just in case you want to know more about it before downloading:

Deckbox to OCTGN is a little application I made so that I wouldn't have to keep creating Magic decks in both places.

I like using deckbox.org to manage my Magic card collection, and I like the deck builder that is built in because it allows me to see what cards I own and what cards I still need for a deck I'm building.

I like using OCTGN to play test decks with my friend over the internet.

Now I can build the deck in one place - deckbox.org - and quickly export it to OCTGN using this app.

---------------------------------------------------------
Instructions

1. Sign up for an account at www.deckbox.org (it's free).
2. Get OCTGN at www.octgn.net (it's free).
3. Install the Magic game in OCTGN. This creates a bunch of card sets without images.
4. Run this app.
5. Specify the root OCTGN folder (use the Browse button to make it easier).
6. Enter your deckbox.org user name (no password is needed since this app only reads data that is publicly available).
7. Select a deck from the decklist - the cards will be listed on the right.
8. Click Export, navigate to where you save your OCTGN decks, and save it.

If you are actively tweaking a deck during playtesting, you may leave deckbox.org, this app, and OCTGN running at the same time.
1. Make deck changes in deckbox.org.
2. Click "Refresh Cards" on the selected deck (assuming the deck is already selected that you just updated in deckbox).
3. Export again.
4. Re-load deck in OCTGN.

NOTE: When exporting a deck, often there will be cards that are part of several different Magic sets. It will prefer to use cards that have an image available in OCTGN. If you have no images available for a particular card, it will use whatever one it happens to find first in all the sets, and OCTGN will automatically generate a proxy card image for it. If you see proxy card images that means you don't have the real image for the card.

This is the initial release of this app, and I expect that it may break when deckbox.org makes changes to their web site. Please contact me if you have issues.

toddg@gilligames.com

Todd

Re: Deckbox to OCTGN

Note to deckbox devs... this app currently just parses the HTML from your site. It would be much nicer to have an API to request deck data as JSON. Changing your site's HTML will probably break this app.

v1.02 has been released to fix an issue with seeing the proper card images, due to OCTGN changing the path where images are stored.

Hey there.

Just searched for an exporter to octgn and found your post, but the link is down.

Does the app still work?

Sorry about that. The link has been fixed. Yes, the app still works. I use it all the time myself.

This is so much better than copy pasting from the printed list.

Thank you!

Version 1.07 has been released to fix problems associated with Deckbox changes.

Thanks for posting this!

SInce 2 weeks the apps give me the users wasn't have deck in deckbox is normal??

Thanks

This is not normal, I have been getting it as well.

I haven't used octgn in a while so I haven't noticed. Deckbox often changes its data formatting so the app breaks often. If deckbox ever offered a reliable API this wouldn't keep happening. sad

That's true. I'm sure it has something to do with the changes they have been recently going though. If you end up fixing it, reply back here to let us know. Thanks again for posting this. Soooo helpful.

I finally got around to updating the exporter to 1.08 to work with the current data format from deckbox.