Topic: Need some explaination on Dark Confidant

Im getting into modern. can someone explain the all the advantages of dark confidant? I just dont understand why losing the life to gain the card advantage is so good. SERIOUS REPLYS!

Re: Need some explaination on Dark Confidant

I'm not sure about modern, I play standard, but card advantage is key to winning in a lot of decks.

For most midrange/control decks the only life total that matters is "0".  Life is a cushion to be used to stall the game and most decks that make use of cards like dark confidant, dusk mantle seer, underworld connections, blood scrivener as part of a plan to get to the things they need to end the game. 

Life loss isn't always dangerous especially if they can regain it with other cards.

Re: Need some explaination on Dark Confidant

Dakkon4444 wrote:

Im getting into modern. can someone explain the all the advantages of dark confidant? I just dont understand why losing the life to gain the card advantage is so good. SERIOUS REPLYS!

Think about this, how many cards do you know of that only let you draw an extra card a turn without you having to pay mana for? You start every game with 20 life and 0 mana. You obviously need mana to win games and if a card allows you to use one resource (life) to build up another (mana) thats why hes good. No he doesnt "ramp" but he makes sure you can dig alittle deep each turn to find more resources you wouldnt be able to reach sooner rather than later.

The main advantage is the fact that its also 2/1 body that also "draws" you a card that you dont have to invest mana into and allows you to still attack or block with. Life is really arbitrary in most decks that run Bob and often have a really low curve so most of the time you only losing a 2 life at most to draw an extra card a turn.