Topic: My First 60-Card Deck.

Hey everyone.

Before I start, I just wanted to say how amazing this site is. It's so great to have a place where I can store my every card, deck, and meet new players and grow as a player. So thanks for having me. :)

I am a relatively new player... I've only played a few casual games every now and again with friends. Just started about a month or two ago.  Finally gave in.. haha....

But I've always had the problem of making my decks more than the amount suggested.  I've always seemed to end with about 70 to 80 cards in my first few decks I ever made.

But thanks to this great site, and after spending about a week getting all my cards lined up and organized on this site, deck-building has NEVER been easier!  And now, I can safely say that I've created my very first 60-card deck, all thanks to this tool.

I would love to hear what you all think.

http://deckbox.org/sets/396752?s=t&o=a&v=v

It's my first Detain-themed deck, and I have got to say, I'm not too upset with it. I've always been more of a Battalion guy since I started, and I'm still working on finally branching out and exploring new areas of strategy and potential combos.
So, take a look.  Feel free to give suggestions on any good cards I might need to know about that would be a great fit, or if any card counts should be altered, or any thing at all that comes to mind when reviewing this deck.

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your time!
I look forward to meeting you all.
-JetFalco

Re: My First 60-Card Deck.

Welcome!

It looks pretty solid. There are only a few things I would suggest.

For one, have a close look at the mana costs of your cards (you can use the Statistics page to see what is called your decks "mana curve": Tools > Statistics). Most of your spells are in the 3 or higher range. This isn't a bad thing, but you may want more than 20 land for that "high" a curve. You may run into situations where you aren't going to draw enough, or the right type, of land.

Another thing you may want to think about is theming your deck around pulling cards back to your hand. Many of the Azorius creatures have great come into play effects, Detain being the most prominent example. You already have cards which do this in Aether Adept and Mist Raven, but another option would be Deputy of Acquittals. As a 2 drop, it gives you more bodies early in the game as well as giving you more power with your Detain creatures. It also has flash, so it more or less acts as a Dramatic Rescue if needed, being playable on your opponents turns. For instance, on your turn you play Azorius Arrester. Before your next turn, you play Deputy of Acquittals to save a creature, or bring Arrester back to your hand to Detain again (maybe even both if Arrester was blocking that turn)!

That was a bit of a tl;dr, but I hope it helped.

I think it's pretty good although I do agree that you might want to up your mana.

On another note in keeping with your detain theme, I just wanted to mention that you could also include Lyev Decree, Isperia's Skywatch, or New Prahv Guildmage.

Echo the mana, you probably want 24 at least in a deck with so many high costed creatures.

Detain is a good ability, but remember it only stalls out their board and doesn't remove anything from it.  Detain has a cost though, a lot of the creatures that possess it cost more than the average creature for the same P/T and so, you're board will be a bit weaker most of the time. There will probably be a time in your matches when you're out of detain cards and they've managed to cast quite a few creatures. 

To counters this I think you're on the right track with the evasive creatures.  There are some good flying/unblockable creatures in the white/blue colors. This will allow you to "go over the top" of their board while you cast detain and lock their creatures down.

Also, in addition to detain, you'll need cards that punish them for doing things. 

Azourious Charm - a multipurpose card that punishes your opponent for attacking/blocking.  Great tempo card. Also can be used to draw a card. Better than just bouncing a card back to the hand.
Think Twice - Common and powerful draw utility card.  The power of blue is card advantage.  You should never be out of options in a blue deck and your opponent should always be worried about what you have in your hand.