Topic: [Standard] Intentionally bad but fun deck

What do you guys think? http://deckbox.org/sets/399473

Re: [Standard] Intentionally bad but fun deck

I don't think, even with far seek and abundant growth that you'll be able to hit your land drops with 16 lands. 

Even a fun deck still wants to be able to play cards.  I'd go up to 24 lands and maybe a couple chromatic lanterns.

elpablo wrote:

I don't think, even with far seek and abundant growth that you'll be able to hit your land drops with 16 lands. 

Even a fun deck still wants to be able to play cards.  I'd go up to 24 lands and maybe a couple chromatic lanterns.

I think even beyond this, you still need a way to win too.  I mean if you're just wanting to be wonky, there are plenty of more amusing things to do here.  I don't even see a win-con with Melek. 

Why not swap the lands for gates and Maze's Ends, and then refine the spells to give you some added utility (and a way to actually win the game)?  OR Toss in some Augur of Bolas, added ramp spells (Ranger's Path perhaps?), some burn options (Devil's Play, Clan Defiance, or even Aurelia's Fury), perhaps some added card draw (Faithless Looting, Desperate Ravings, Uncovered Clues, Think Twice, etc.) and a few other things here or there.  THEN you'll be able to actually DO things while having fun with Melek and his weirdness.

I've actually thought about including him in builds as of late, but unless you have reliable ways to drop him on the field AND spells that are worth casting from the deck, he won't be as much fun as you expect.

I think its charming...

Here is my version: http://deckbox.org/sets/400487

I mean it's not perfect but at least you'll have a better chance at winning.

jatotek wrote:

I think its charming...

Ba dum cha! smile

MrsNosihctuh, i dont think farseek or ranger's path does anything for you

I made my own cheeper version, with a win con! http://deckbox.org/sets/400765

discoloda wrote:

I was trying to keep most of the same cards as the original.  Personally, I don't like either card, but Farseek is a good card to bring extra mana to the field, and Ranger's Path provides the green mana that Farseek doesn't although I think Ranger's Path is too expensive for just two mana.

im thinking Maze's End could be a nice addition as a alternative win option.

MrsNosihctuh wrote:
discoloda wrote:

I was trying to keep most of the same cards as the original.  Personally, I don't like either card, but Farseek is a good card to bring extra mana to the field, and Ranger's Path provides the green mana that Farseek doesn't although I think Ranger's Path is too expensive for just two mana.

I'm pretty sure he's right, when you changed his mana base to gates they no longer meet the requirements to be useful to those cards. The original lands were listed as both forest and another type so they could be pulled by Farseek and Ranger's Path since they are now Gates the cards literally do nothing for you.

Discoloda, i love Door to Nothingness and Maze's End as Win Cons, i initially saw just the maze's ends and was going to suggest adding some extra, and in looking for things to cut saw the Doors. I'll admit though i've never seen Door used in a single player game, i'd be curious to know if it would even work. Only times i've ever seen it played it was to suicide so he could get out of a long game and go get some food.

I saw someone win with Door to Nothingness once.  He had a handful of keyrunes that helped him out with colors and one artifact that let him untap other artifacts...

Lear wrote:
MrsNosihctuh wrote:
discoloda wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's right, when you changed his mana base to gates they no longer meet the requirements to be useful to those cards. The original lands were listed as both forest and another type so they could be pulled by Farseek and Ranger's Path since they are now Gates the cards literally do nothing for you.

I didn't think about that... Let me make some adjustments...

Let's try this: http://deckbox.org/sets/400487

Why leave out the guild leaders?  I mean if you're shooting for something fun like that... why not?  They would be way more helpful than many of the charms.