Topic: Does Torpor Orb work on Eater of Days?

Does Torpor Orb work on Eater of Days?

Last edited by Pickled_Fetus (2013-08-31 19:44:42)

Re: Does Torpor Orb work on Eater of Days?

Pickled_Fetus wrote:

sure does, it negates enter the battlefield effects including eater of days

VampireArmy wrote:
Pickled_Fetus wrote:

Thanks. But I just thought of something else. Does it also effect things like when a creature has battle cry?

Last edited by Pickled_Fetus (2013-08-31 23:38:42)

Pickled_Fetus wrote:
VampireArmy wrote:
Pickled_Fetus wrote:

Thanks. But I just thought of something else. Does it also effect things like when a creature has battle cry?

No because. Thas a combat based effect not entering th

e battlefield

VampireArmy wrote:
Pickled_Fetus wrote:
VampireArmy wrote:

No because. Thas a combat based effect not entering th

e battlefield

Ok thanks.

what about emrakul?

BigChipLead wrote:

what about emrakul?

Emrakul is different.  Note that his ability is NOT an enter the battlefield "ETB" one.  Specifically, he reads:

"When you cast Emrakul, take an extra turn after this one."

Now admittedly it says he cannot be countered, but if he were not to resolve onto the battlefield, you would still get the extra turn given that you cast him.  So, he is much like how a Guttersnipe will ping someone if you cast a spell, even if it gets countered.  It doesn't have to resolve for the effect to work.

You are going to hate me for asking yet another question but what about Etched Monstrosity will he still get his minus counters or not?

Last edited by Pickled_Fetus (2013-09-01 20:55:35)

Pickled_Fetus wrote:

You are going to hate me for asking yet another question but what about Etched Monstrosity will he still get his minus counters or not?

Hy no problem. Questions are meant to be asked.  to my knowledge he would enter without them.

Vampire Army is correct.  Again, the important phrasing here is "when he enters the battlefield" which constitutes an ETB effect and, in turn, means Torpor Orb will prevent it.

You need to read LITERALLY.

"Creatures entering in the battlefield don't cause abilities to trigger" = Abilities triggered by a ETB (Entering The Battlefield) don't trigger.

I have a deck with this combo too (and other creatures with similar negative-effects) plus things like Trickbind (Split second and counter triggered ability = if you destroy torpor in response to a creature, i allow entering creature but in response counter negative triggered ability). BTW Allys decks are insta-destroyed with a torpor in game. I have to admit sometimes i have doubts too, last time I played my deck with Guttersnipe vs my deck with torpor and don't remembered Torpor only affects ETB triggers so i winned without apply Guttersnipe effects.

In things like "you cast/play" like Emrakul the best you can do is is read careful:

* "play" means play succesful so you need to play the spell and next the ability triggers if conditions are OK. For example Eater Of Days says "when you play [...] skip two turns" so when the creature enters this trigger go to pile the two-turns-skip-effect (if Eater is countered, this ability don't trigger).

* "cast" means just cast. If one effect trigger when you cast, go to pile (over your spell so resolve before the spell you casted) and this triggered effect don't cancel if the spell(s) are countered. If emrakul is played from your hand, you have a extra turn before this creature ETB or is countered (in this example, can't be countered but is the same).

One example of "abusing" this cast mechanic i like is Livewire Lash he say: "Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has "Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player."

Become target of a spell = become target of a cast.

* Opponent cast Lightning to this creature.
* You in response cast a instant with hexproof to this creature.

The pile look like this:

* Two damage triggered effect
* Hexproof effect
* Two damage triggered effect
* Lightning effect

2 dmg, hexproof, 2 dmg, lightning canceled but the 2dmg provoked by lightning spell don't countered. And the best thing is the damage is done by the creature (not by the equipment) so if the creature have extra abilitys that can trigger: lifelink for extra life, death touch for destroy creatures, wither for -1/-1 counters or infect (in a creature with infect is 100% bullying xD).