Topic: What to do with 4 deathrite shamans?

Maybe someone with a little bit more experience then me can help me out here. I'm not quite sure what to do with my 4 deathrite shamans. I know they are a good staple and i'd like to maybe go to a friday night magic and not get my butt stomped.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Re: What to do with 4 deathrite shamans?

Oddly, Deathrite is more of a staple in Modern and Legacy than standard these days... much of the graveyard hate has been shifted toward Scavenging Ooze given that it doesn't require tapping, doesn't require a second color, and can create an on-board threat as it grows as the game progresses.

Now, that being said, I think it will be possible to sneak in some G/B build that doesn't rely on the yard all that much but that can make solid use of Vraska the Unseen and Deathrite Shaman.  Golgari control has seen some good results, but I would suggest trying to figure out something different that will survive rotation a little better.  I mean you would have access to Desecration Demon AND Elvish Mystic - T3 Demons are rather nasty wink.

Anyone feel like attempting to build me a deck by checking out my inventory? Or giving me some ideas. I'm not sure why i'm so un-inspired.  I also have about 10 thousand commons/uncommons i've yet to list.

Maybe it might be fun for someone.

came up with this but i don't think i'm to big a fan.
http://deckbox.org/sets/475170

Last edited by morph66 (2013-09-10 23:33:06)

What're you aiming for?  Casual play?  FNMs?  Any format preference?

Simply stating "I have four Deathrite Shamans, someone build me a deck" isn't likely to generate a lot of input - especially when you offer little to no guidance regarding what you want to play.  Even the decklist you provide isn't able to be critiqued unless we have a sense of what you're aiming for.

I guess the goal would be to muster up some courage and go to a friday night magic. Right now I just use my cards to play casual with a buddy.

The problem is i don't even know what format FNM is, or any of the rulings. I've basically just been collecting cards... The point is i need some kind of inspiration.

Last edited by morph66 (2013-09-11 02:03:02)

morph66 wrote:

I guess the goal would be to muster up some courage and go to a friday night magic. Right now I just use my cards to play casual with a buddy.

The problem is i don't even know what format FNM is, or any of the rulings. I've basically just been collecting cards... The point is i need some kind of inspiration.

That is not an FNM legal deck. FNM is standard play only.

ok cool, do i have alot of stuff in there that isn't standard?  is there a place where i can get lists of what is acceptable for each type of game?  thanks

morph66 wrote:

ok cool, do i have alot of stuff in there that isn't standard?  is there a place where i can get lists of what is acceptable for each type of game?  thanks

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a … frstandard

morph66 wrote:

Given this, I would suggest you and your buddy just go down to your LGS to watch an FNM.  They typically will vary in format by store and often from week to week.  This would dictate whether to try to aim for standard or modern format (since you're a newer player, I would suggest standard as the format to shoot for as it will end up being easier to collect cards to play). 

Ask questions, watch games, converse with people.  FNMs are meant to be a casual, welcoming environment where everyone from pros to beginners can come play.  That being said, some FNMs are more competitive than others, so hopefully you have more than one LGS to choose from.  But ultimately, talk to people, find out what they're playing and why they're playing it.  Take a deck or two to play casually - or otherwise to see if people want to help you out.  Obviously they're not just going to build decks for you, but it's worth talking to them to see how competitive the environment is and that sort of stuff.

Having said all of that... after you've gone and seen some play, talked to people, and really figured things out a bit more THEN it would be good to figure out deck ideas on here.  This isn't to suggest that I and the rest of the Deckbox community are unwilling to help, you had best believe we are, but rather to give you more of a feel for the game before you go leaping into competitive play (because it is a very different animal than the kitchen table).  Lastly, remember to have fun!

joecat wrote:
morph66 wrote:

That is not an FNM legal deck. FNM is standard play only.

This is incorrect - FNM varies by location and over-time.  I used to go to a store that would cycle between standard, modern, and sealed play for FNMs.  Even having just relocated, I can say that both the stores I've scouted out also vary between drafts, standard constructed, and other formats.

joecat wrote:
morph66 wrote:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a … frstandard

This is a good resource.  But to simplify things, standard (as rotation will hit in about 2 weeks) includes all cards printed in M14 and the Return to Ravnica block (RTR, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze) for the moment (technically M13 and the Innistrad block are still legal, but don't worry about them).  Theros, once released, will also be standard legal starting September 27th (once it officially releases).

So again, M14, RTR, GTC, and DGM and potentially Theros spoilers are the sets to consider for the moment.

so what goes out in 2 weeks? is that innistrad? or is there more stuff

morph66 wrote:

so what goes out in 2 weeks? is that innistrad? or is there more stuff

Both M13 and the entire Innistrad block (Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored) will rotate on the 27th. 

Keep in mind that any cards from those sets that have been reprinted in M14, RTR, GTC, or DGM will still be legal as they're printed in a current set.  So just because your Doom Blade is from M12 doesn't make it illegal to play, as Doom Blade is currently legal from its printing in M14.

ahh ok cool, so as long as your card is still in the new sets, you can still have the old version

morph66 wrote:

ahh ok cool, so as long as your card is still in the new sets, you can still have the old version

You are correct.

morph66 wrote:

Try this, it's a link to your inventory filtered by format: standard.  Just use the link at the top right that says search & filter if you want to narrow it down further.
http://deckbox.org/sets/365037?f=b31&v=v

One of the neat things deckbox can do.  It doesn't take rotation into account, but it does show you things like domestication which has been reprinted.

Now under the filters you can do edition printed in and filter it that way too.  That's a smaller list that will show you what you have that is standard post rotation.
http://deckbox.org/sets/365037?f=53117.115.113.111!b31

From there, pick some colors and you start to get a list you can look at and build from. (This is only a suggestion pick your own colors)
http://deckbox.org/sets/365037?f=53117. … .3&v=v

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-09-11 11:28:47)

dude gum, thanks

morph66 wrote:

dude gum, thanks

No problem,  I hope that helps a little.  I hate trying to keep up with which cards I own are actually still legal in standard.  So filters like this are extremely helpful to me.  I don't play a lot of standard, but I like to have at least one legal deck built to play against my friends that do follow the format.  I'm actually considering adding all of my commons to deckbox, just so this feature is even more useful.

Also it never hurts to call your local game store if you are unsure of what they are doing.  Find out what format runs on Friday nights, what time you should show up, and how many people they expect to be there.   Some stores will also post a schedule of events on their website (assuming they have one).

One store near me does booster drafts on Friday at 6pm, standard at 9pm (with a $5 entry) and runs standard again as a free to enter event at 6pm on Monday.  When I used to go, I would go on Mondays, because I didn't want to start an event at 9pm, and the free event still had prize support in the form of cheap promos they had left over from other events.  The first time I went, I placed and got two promo cards.   Sometimes showing up out of no where with your own rogue build can catch people by surprise.  wink