Topic: Suggestion: Auto-Select Edition

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, didn't find it in a forum search...

If a card was only printed once, when added to the inventory or wishlist, automatically select its edition. 

Example: Kozilek Butcher of Truth was only printed in RoE.  Edition shouldn't be "unknown" or grayed out, it should be RoE if I add it to my inventory.

Thanks!!

Re: Suggestion: Auto-Select Edition

When you import cards into your inventory you can set default values.  I think you can do this on your wish list as well, but I prefer not to specify a set on my wish list unless I only want one printing of a card.  This way it will match those who did not input a set on their trade list.  If you set the default to any new set, it should auto fill the most recent printing for koz when you add him.

http://deckbox.org/forum/misc.php?item=242&download=0

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-12-02 14:44:58)

Post's attachments

Screen Shot koz.jpg 56.27 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

How did I not know about this.... >_<

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

Wait, what? How does modifying the default set to Theros for a card-import affect any card that wasn't printed in Theros, such as Kozilek, Butcher of Truth?

If you choose not to set a default then it doesn't enter a set at all, but if you set it to Theros it will input the most recent printing of that card.  If you set it to an older set then you can specify a specific set when entering cards, but setting it to the newest just seems to prompt it to pick the newest printing.   Try it. 

edit adding screenshot:
http://deckbox.org/forum/misc.php?item=243&amp;download=0

edit2:
Basically the site is smart enough to know that Kozilek was not in Theros so it picks the most recent printing that it can because you've elected to input a default set.  Note that cards in the commander sets will have to be specified as commander, it doesn't put them chronologically like it does the normal sets. I like to look at people's trade lists by sorting them by edition from oldest to newest, and the special products always come before Alpha, so Deckbox has a weird way of ordering sets, but maybe this shows that I spend too much time here.   lol

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-12-02 18:43:34)

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 1.32.42 PM.png 56.55 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Well gumgodMTG I must spend too much time here too, because I do the same thing and I noticed the same thing.  I wish the special editions were in order of date of release like the rest of them instead of thrown in at the end, but I am still pretty happy with it all.

I have been using the default setting for a couple of weeks now and I am absolutely thrilled with it! It cut down on the time frame for adding things to my wishlist tremendously! Love it!

Yeah... the behavior of the default edition setting is not clear enough, I kind of agree... Any ideas on how we could make it clearer? Maybe just clarify the note text under the defaults?

sebi wrote:

Yeah... the behavior of the default edition setting is not clear enough, I kind of agree... Any ideas on how we could make it clearer? Maybe just clarify the note text under the defaults?

I had no problems learning to use it, and have been using it for a while, but I can see others did not know about it.  Maybe there could be a sticky somewhere of Deckbox tips and tricks?

Also completely unrelated, but I'd really like the ability to use spoiler tags in the forum.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-12-03 14:02:45)

Thanks for the replies and this makes sense to me.  I found the behavior while adding individual cards I recently opened by finding them in the card database.  I'll play with the import more since I know I can just type up the cards there.

This doesn't work for the "Add From Card List" feature.  There doesn't seem to be any way to auto-select edition for all of my cards.  Trying to import 10,000 cards from a card list (homegrown DB) and there's no way I'm entering edition for each one.

Any tips?