Topic: [Modern] [Feedback] Infect & Zombie Tribal builds

While I have, to a certain degree, been playing Magic for a few years, I've never really tried to get onto the competitive scene. I have two main decks that I'd like to put forward- one I've been working on for months, and the other I put together a few weeks ago.

My mono-black zombie deck was an idea I began toying with this summer. I've always loved tribal designs, and so I've been experimenting with this one with a fair amount of interest. However, it still seems to have a few flaws, and lacks a total structure. You can find it here: http://deckbox.org/sets/462184

This infect deck was actually inspired by my first 'good' deck (well, I thought it was good). However, looking back on it, I have, in attempting to remake it, not used any of the cards originally in it, so I believe we may as well call it a new idea. In any case, I don't know whether or not the balance is right here, and am looking for suggestions on how to improve it. You can find it here: http://deckbox.org/sets/551074

Both of these are intended to be modern decks, and while they don't need to be tier 1, FNM winning, I'd like to be able to go to an FNM and return home with a couple of victories under my belt. However, I'm not loaded, so an economy build (to a certain degree) would be a plus.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Last edited by Darksteel (2014-01-01 22:20:55)

Re: [Modern] [Feedback] Infect & Zombie Tribal builds

Please inform me if bumping is unacceptable in this forum, and I will delete my post immediately. However, I would really appreciate some feedback, no matter how simple, as I am loathe to take the next step of actually putting together the decks until I have some idea as to what I am getting into.

Thank you!

Not a problem about the bump if it doesn't get a response in a while.

I would offer feedback, but to be honest, I just don't play modern so I couldn't tell you what would be good or not.

But my suggestion would be to either proxy them up OR build them on untap.in or some other playtest site and fiddle with them for a while so you can see how they play before you go dropping any cash on them.

From my VERY limited modern experience, I can say that infect is a major hit or miss strategy... you can build it on the super cheap and win some games as early as t2 or t3, BUT, any opponent who knows what you're up to will adjust and can easily mess you up.

Fair enough; as to the Infect, I just want a cheap, semi-competitive deck that isn't completely within my tribal norms. Thank you for your response! smile

To that end, you can do alright with mono-green infect for like $5.  Check Reddit's mtg forum for cheap Modern builds and you will likely find it.

May I propose including Lure in your enchantments.  Attach it to a creature with regenerate and hit them with all your other creatures with infect.

Last edited by Talus21 (2014-01-19 03:01:33)

I'm going to assume you mean in the Infect build.

That could work, though if I did work it in as a main strategy, I'd probably be well advised to switch out two of the Flensermites for two more Blight Mambas.

Mutagenic Growth for the infect deck. 

Going G/R instead of G/B for the infect deck gives you access to Assault Strobe

T1: Copperline Gorge or Stomping Ground, Glistener Elf
T2: Forest, Assault Strobe on Glistener Elf, Attack, Mutagenic Growth x 2 or x 1 and Giant Growth deal 10-12 infect damage, win.

Inkmoth Nexus can do something similar but a turn slower and requires x 2 Mutagenic Growth for T3 win. 

Avoid Fate or in the case agains Blue Guttural Response can help save your combo, at the cost of slowing it down a little. 

Chancellor of the Tangle might help you as well letting you play Glistener Elf and Rancor on your first turn.  Or Blight Mamba

Like TyWoo pointed out, infect strategy can be pretty dodgy, and usually requires aggressive mulligans, however it may also force your opponent to aggressively mulligan if he doesn't draw a showstopper that can shut you down. 

Grafted Exoskeleton combined with Hellspark ElementalStrangleroot Geist, Arc Runner, Chandra's Phoenix, or Hell's Thunder can give your mid-game strategy some steam with some hasted surprise infect damage. 

If you're willing to go 3-color and keep black you'd also have access to Tainted Strike to really surprise someone with hasted infect damage.

Flesh // Blood, especially the Blood half, could help you seal the deal in a lot of games where your opponent has stood up any efficient blockers to stop your infect creatures from pushing through damage. 

Just some ideas.

Last edited by drock007 (2014-01-20 20:40:46)

Wow - that's a lot of cool synergy. I think I'll experiment with both a red-green black-green, though the tricolour is certainly to be considered as well. Thank you for the input smile

Does anyone have anything to say in regards to the Zombie tribal?

I'd suggest cutting your decks down to just 60 cards. 
That should help out.  smile

I've made a series of edits to the deck, with multiple experimentations. The deck I am most is this: http://deckbox.org/sets/588354

Its design feature 16 small infectious creatures, but a sideboard that can swap out all but the Glistener Elves and a Plague Stinger for 11 hasty creatures and 4 tainted strikes to give them infect. However, the main plan features red only in its playset of Assault Strobe, and so I'm wondering if a) there are other red cards that would benefit me more and b) whether my current mana plan is overcompensating.

In addition to this, I'd still really love some feedback on the Zombies... wink

Last edited by Darksteel (2014-01-27 01:26:34)