Topic: Modern and Splinter Twin - or possibly some other crazy combo deck?

So recently I've been doing quite a bit of playtesting of different Splinter Twin builds on Untap.in (which is an amazing playtesting site, btw).  As a result, I have found myself trying to build a legitimate Splinter Twin deck.  Before I get too invested in it, I had a few questions for you fine folks.

First off, if I am to build Splinter Twin, which build is more competitive?  I mean PTQ competitive.  I've never done an a large scale tournament before, and I'd like to go.  I don't just want to drop a bunch of money on a Jund build or something like that which isn't very fun to play (to me at least), but I at least want to stand a snowballs' chance.  So there are two main builds for this deck:

U/R Twin - http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=6779&d=238957

Patriot Twin - http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=6698&d=238476

There's also a RUG version that I really don't want to play which basically just shoves Goyfs into the UR list.  tongue

Of those two lists, which seems more competitive?  The UR seems to be able to assemble the combo a lot faster, but the Patriot list seems a lot more adaptable.  Mind you, those are just sample lists and my finished product won't be exactly like either.

My last question:  Are there any other similarly awesome/competitive combo decks I should look at before committing to Twin?  I think Twin is really, really fun to play, but that doesn't mean that I'm not open to other options.

Re: Modern and Splinter Twin - or possibly some other crazy combo deck?

My honest advice for you would be is playtest both the decks in proxy first and find out which deck you understand more.  The template of both decks are very good but it all comes down to one thing: Do you know how to pilot the deck?  If you want to win, you have to learn every little piece of a deck and learn to adapt to every situation with it.  Play the deck you have most skill with!

Re: Modern and Splinter Twin - or possibly some other crazy combo deck?

Honestly, I feel I'm a pretty good pilot.  I've read up on the right way to play them, and watched some videos to get my head around them.  I've played 42 games against various decks with the UR version, and won 37 of them.  So far, I've only played 12 games with the Patriot version, and I've won 10 of them. 

So far, they both seem to fare pretty well - and this is against some top tier decks (and some jank, too tongue).  I can't speak for the skills of the other pilots, but most of them seemed competent enough.