Topic: New to Commander, help me weed out cards please

So far, I've only played in Booster Drafts, and I love them. EDH seems to be another hugely popular option and I figured I would try making a deck. My first thought was that it will be hard to find 100 good cards to make up a deck, lesson learned. I have a ton of cards that might be good in it but now I have way to many. I need help, what do I chop out of this deck?

http://deckbox.org/sets/654736

Re: New to Commander, help me weed out cards please

So first off, we are to assume that Treva, The Renewer is the general?  Is there a particular reason you've chosen this general as opposed to other options in these colors?  Do you have some combo in mind that you're really wanting to emphasize/exploit?

Second, what can you tell us about the playgroup/setting you would be going into?  Do you know whether people typically just play casual multiplayer or are they more competitive playing French rules?  Obviously the more casual setting will lead you to a different set of cards than a more competitive one.

Third, what sort of budget are you looking at spending to improve the deck?  Are you up for spending $20-50 on some good pieces or are you set that the cards you want to use must come from your existing inventory?

EDH is a fantastic format, and Treva, The Renewer is a card I have not yet run into as a general, so props for being original.  A lot of the cards that are in there are great cards for 1 vs 1, but not so great in multiplayer.  I would try to limit the Giant Growth effects, focus a bit more on answers and cards that give more value (think acidic slime which does something just for being played, or Verdant Force which does something on every player's turn).

Also Carnivorous plant is a pretty bad wall, yes the stats are good, but for 1 mana more you could be running Cockatrice and have the option to attack, or for 4 mana you could run Yeva, Nature's Herald and have a 4/4 with a good ability.

When I'm building decks using the online interface I'll move things to the sideboard then if I want to put one back in I have to take out something from the deck that is worse than the card on the sideboard. Maybe try that.  Just move cards to the sideboard till you get down closer to 100 then refine the idea you want to build around.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-04-06 01:11:46)

Thanks for the advise! Ive yet to play Commander and this will help me narrow my scope a bit.