Topic: Getting in Gear for Modern

I was wondering if anyone has any insight for my new B/U/G deck.

http://deckbox.org/sets/620594

Re: Getting in Gear for Modern

It looks very similar to a Jund type deck. The only Issue I see is that you both lack any form of healing, and have included a higher mana curve in general. Perhaps you'd be better off with dropping 2-4 of the Cryptic Command for something else?

An interesting deck, but  based on what I'm seeing you have 13 creatures with which to win the game.

If you are trying to out-tempo your opponent (cards like Remand and Delver suggest that you are) you need to be able to lay a threat and ride it to victory while answering relevant threats/answers that your opponent presents. This indicates a model that needs to win in the early to mid game which, to me at least, means you need to be able to consistently represent a clock.

In short, I think you need more threats.

You have 10 counterspells and 12 removal spells (if you consider Thoughsieze to be removal), these are supposed to support your creature base, maybe drop a couple and add something like Bitterblossom or Tarmo (if you have) to the list to give it a higher threat density.

Tarmogoyf would be really nice here, but seeing that he is absent, maybe they aren't available.  Putrid Leech is a decent cheap creature that can be had for five or ten cents.  In the early game, he can actually kill Goyfs.  I think that Think Twice is a pretty slow card for Modern, so that could be the swap.  I also like Mana Leak a lot more than Remand in non-combo decks.  You're not digging for a combo piece, and it really sucks to Remand a 1 or 2 drop just to see it cast again that same turn.  Fill up Mana Leaks, cut Remands, include 2 Vapor Snag/2 Serum Visions depending on what you have/what you like.  Deck certainly looks cool though big_smile