Topic: Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx in Atlanta - 18 May

Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx in Atlanta

Format: Block
Location: Cobb Galleria Centre  Two Galleria Parkway  Atlanta, Georgia 30339,United States
Deckbox Event Url: http://deckbox.org/communities/mtg_comp … vents/1979

Description

Official Event Information

Pro Tour Journey into Nyx is a three-day invitation-only Theros Block Constructed and Theros Block Booster Draft format event with a Block Constructed Top 8.

Re: Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx in Atlanta - 18 May

Congrats to Patrick Chapin on winning PT Atlanta! Winning deck was a Junk Midrange. Also in the top BUG Control and RG Elspeth. Check out the event page for more details.

Second? First non Admin? lol

Found this PT to be a little less interesting than others. Although I loved the concept of Theros block constructed, like the best decks out of all the cards we currently draft!
However after watching all the coverage, it just wound up being Prognostic Sphinx control versus Elpseth + decks.
I think Chapin deserved to win (also my favorite pro player), as they kept commenting on how he was one of the few if not only Junk players to run Fleecemane Lion.
He simply picked the strongest cards in each casting cost, and made a deck to counter what he expected to see after extensive testing on MTGO.

A lot of familiar archetypes from block draft, some new. I felt as though it was a vanilla preview of deck types to come post rotation.
Some clear all stars in my mind were;

Prognostic Sphinx
Courser of Kruphix
Silence the Believers
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Fleecemane Lion
Sylvan Caryatid

There were probably many more, these however appeared in most decks or performed extremely well.

Personally I will be buying as many Prognostic Sphinx as I can find at $0.50, It's already starting to rise and I feel it will be a backbone in post rotation control decks.
And then there was Elspeth. I already knew she was going to be a bomb, and knew she was going to go up post rotation.. but being splashed in off-color decks I did not expect!

Super excited for Pro Tour M15 Portland. Standard format with RTR Block, THS Block, M14 & M15. Gonna be awesome.

Block constructed is generally a boring format. The card pool is to small for diversity, so usually it is 1-3 best decks that are almost identical.