Topic: [Opinion] Zombie Deck Duel

I was trying to build a zombie deck, found I had so many good/decent zombie cards I couldn't just make one. So now I have two zombie decks and too many cards in each of them. Any suggestions I can get on refining--or should I be combining?--the two of these I would appreciate.

ZomBomb - This deck has some fliers and seeks to power up the zombies on the battlefield and then settle the fracas with Grave Titan or Army of the Damned. Also, there are a few non-zombies in there because of Nim Deathmantle. I'm not sold on my selection of non-zombies to be converted into zombies, however.

Arisen - Instead of focusing on powering up and converting normal creatures into zombies, this deck focuses on returning creatures from the graveyard to hopefully overwhelm the opponent. Rise of the Dark Realms and (the only card these two decks share in common) Army of the Damned should finish off an opponent if we can get that far into the game.

I have no sideboard for either deck, so suggestions there are welcome as well. I will point out that I do embrace synergy, so the closer I can keep to the zombie theme the happier I'll be with any suggestions. Pilfered Plans and Psychic Strike don't really fit, but I felt like ZomBomb 1 needed them so I put them in anyway.

As you can probably tell, I am new to this game. I want to be a better deckbuilder. I suppose the only way I can do that is by asking for advice, so thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by xMatch (2014-05-10 19:44:15)

Re: [Opinion] Zombie Deck Duel

First off, I'm assuming these are only for casual play?

Second, what types of decks do you normally run up against?

Third, do you have any budget or format restrictions you would like suggestions to follow?

TyWooOneTime wrote:

First off, I'm assuming these are only for casual play?

Second, what types of decks do you normally run up against?

Third, do you have any budget or format restrictions you would like suggestions to follow?

1. Yes, casual play.
2. Mostly whatever my friends throw together. Mostly standard creature-heavy aggro type decks.
3. Not really. I don't want to get too expensive but would like to improve the situation as much as I can so any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by xMatch (2014-05-11 13:24:47)

I am going to point out that ZomBomb is tricolor and contains some cards with difficult casting costs (a couple with triple black AND a tricolor, which cannot easily be cast with the same lands).
My advice would be to cut the red entirely, and maybe a few liturgy of blood as well.

In Arisen, you should cut the zombie goliath. It is not a very good card. My compliments, however on the Ghoulcaller's Chant. You should also cut the Fated Return. It does not have  sufficient ROI in this deck.

Last edited by Chaim (2014-05-12 08:19:53)

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

Not at all rude, I like when things are to the point and I know I'm newbish so it's easy to take constructive criticism. Thanks for the compliment and the advice. I hate to cut Fated Return, even though I know I should. I like the card but you're absolutely right so it's out. Zombie Goliath is toast. Liturgy of Blood I can shave, but the tri-color problem…that deck was build beginning with Nekusar, the Mindrazer. Really the only reason I have any red at all in it is for his benefit. Should I cut him or find a land that will allow me to cast him?

I would cut red, mill, and Xathrid Necromancer. I would then add 4 Endless Ranks of the Dead.

Last edited by Chaim (2014-05-14 07:49:44)

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

Chaim wrote:

I would cut red, mill, and Xathrid Necromancer. I would then add 4 Endless Ranks of the Dead.

I'm lovin Endless Ranks. It was a great suggestion. Thank you.

Hey Also if you have too many cards in the deck but you love them and want them find a way put them in your graveyard with goulcaller's bell or something similar and then resurrect them.