Topic: At what point is negative feedback warranted?

In the next day or so, I'm going to make a post on the Reddit MTG Trades forum titled, "If you don't have time to ship, then don't trade!"

I currently have a trade going that was finalized last Wednesday (6/18). I shipped my cards out on Thursday (6/19) and, because the guy is only one state away, they were delivered on Saturday (6/21). I have a tracking number showing this. When we both agreed to the trade, this is what he put in the text box, "I'll ship the cards sometime within the next day or so, I'll let you know when I do."

It's now a full week later and he still hasn't shipped the cards. Here is some additional text.

6/19 - I'll be shipping today after work most likely
6/21 - Received your cards today. Sorry, I got swamped this weekend with work, so I'll have to send out your cards on monday.
6/24 - I'm sorry dude, I just started a new job last week and I've had to stay late almost every day. I'm really sorry dude, I'll get them out to you

So, when is it acceptable to leave someone negative feedback? There was no up front indication of any work issues or perceived problems with shipping in a timely manner. He gave every indication that things were going to go ahead as planned, then I get nothing but excuses of why he hasn't/can't ship. My feeling is... if you're going to actively trade with people, then be prepared to carry it all the way through the process.

Re: At what point is negative feedback warranted?

Per the rules:
- For domestic trades 2 weeks should be allowed. This seems high to me, but not everyone is on here everyday like I am. This is probably a reasonable amount of time for most people.
- Negative Feedback can only be left after the approval of an admin and almost always after a BTR. Thank goodness for this. Otherwise people would probably throw out negative feedback just because they decided they didn't like someone or because they took a little longer than expected.

I understand your frustration; I've been in a similar situation numerous times myself. (yes I used a semicolon) Just give the trade a little bit of time. Poke the other trader every other day or so to make sure they can't forget about the trade. It looks like the person you are trading with is new so they probably just aren't very good at it yet. In this situation I would have asked them to ship first. Give them tips on how to get better. Tell them about paypal.com/shipnow. Encourage constructive conversation. If the trade still isn't completed after 2 weeks and it doesn't sound like the other guy is even trying to complete it then start up a BTR. A good percentage of the time (probably over 50%) that is enough to get the trader to send the cards.

Always remember, the most important thing in trading is COMMUNICATION.

Kammikaze wrote:

Between those comments of his was me asking what's going on. So, yea, I am definitely communicating with the guy and I can't really help him in the situation of him being unable to find the time to make it to the post office.

For domestic trades 2 weeks should be allowed

I'm going to assume that 2 weeks duration was meant to include package travel time for long distances (Alaska to Florida?), not two weeks to drop the package off at the post office from the time both parties accepted the trade. I think it's a bit absurd to give someone one state away a full two weeks to get off their ass and get to the post office. Like I said before, I just think that if you're not able to ship in a timely manner then you shouldn't be trading in the first place.

outofstep wrote:
Kammikaze wrote:

Between those comments of his was me asking what's going on. So, yea, I am definitely communicating with the guy and I can't really help him in the situation of him being unable to find the time to make it to the post office.

I wasn't trying to say that you weren't communicating as it looks like you are. I just like to stress the importance of communication in general.

outofstep wrote:

For domestic trades 2 weeks should be allowed

I'm going to assume that 2 weeks duration was meant to include package travel time for long distances (Alaska to Florida?), not two weeks to drop the package off at the post office from the time both parties accepted the trade. I think it's a bit absurd to give someone one state away a full two weeks to get off their ass and get to the post office. Like I said before, I just think that if you're not able to ship in a timely manner then you shouldn't be trading in the first place.

Yes, 2 weeks from the date the trade is accepted to the day it should have arrived at your door. Like I said before, I feel your pain with the pace of this trade as I've dealt with it many times myself. Has your trade partner dropped the ball in getting this trade out? Absolutely. Has he broken any rules? Not yet. As of today he hasn't done anything to warrant negative feedback according to the Deckbox rules.

I completely agree with you when you say that people who don't have enough time to make a run to the post office (or even print a shipping label off of paypal) probably shouldn't be trading.

One other question, did you need the cards from this trade for an event or something?

Kammikaze wrote:

One other question, did you need the cards from this trade for an event or something?

No, they're only a small piece of a Bloom Titan deck I'm making and I haven't even bothered to order the rest of the cards from tcgplayer yet.

So you can maybe guess what I'm going to say next then: Patience is a virtue. Your trade partner is new and is communicating with you and you don't need the cards immediately. If two weeks goes by and he still hasn't sent the cards then start up a BTR.