Topic: Use prices of available cards to calculate trade value

When calculating the value of trades, the site seems to use the values of the cards the recipient is looking for. It should use the values of the cards the sender has. For instance, I put Savannah (unspecified edition) on my wishlist. A user has a CE Savannah and no other cards I want. Deckbox should calculate the value of the cards he can send me as $2.28, not $79.99.

Re: Use prices of available cards to calculate trade value

This is a known issue.

Where do you see this issue?

On other users' pages, where it shows possible trades, and on trading opportunities, where it sorts by value of trades.

To be more precise, on trading opportunities it shows the value of cards you can give based on what you have, but on the user's profile it shows the value based on their wishlist. In both places, it shows the value of cards you can receive based on your wishlist.

Also, as a major cause of these price discrepancies, foils should probably not match non-foils when strict matching is on. Perhaps there could be a "foil or non-foil" status for cards on wishlists?

NMS127 wrote:

To be more precise, on trading opportunities it shows the value of cards you can give based on what you have, but on the user's profile it shows the value based on their wishlist. In both places, it shows the value of cards you can receive based on your wishlist.

This is now fixed, thanks for reporting.

Also, as a major cause of these price discrepancies, foils should probably not match non-foils when strict matching is on. Perhaps there could be a "foil or non-foil" status for cards on wishlists?

Actually they do not match. Or do you mean when I do not specify that i want a foil, i should not see foils as matched? I'm not sure that always makes sense... sometimes I might just want a Lightning Bolt, I don't care if it's foil or not. Or is that not the case?

In any case, the issue is just that you see some foil options there in the listing, that you might not care about, right?

I believe he is talking about having a non-foil on the wishlist and seeing a foil as a match from someone's tradelist.

This issue is definitely a double-edged sword. On the one hand, if someone has a $1 regular Brainstorm on their wishlist, they probably doesn't want to see a $200 foil Mercadian Masques Brainstorm as a trade opportunity. But on the other hand, many times people don't care whether the card is foil or not. In the case of FTV, Duel Deck, Premium Deck Series and other printings, those foils are sometimes worth about the same as the set printing, but even if they are worth more there are many people are happy to trade for them.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have a strictly "non-foil" option when adding a card to a wishlist.

That would be good, too.

Also, I noticed another bug with adding up the total value of trades. If you have one copy of a card on your wishlist and another user has multiple different types of that card, all of their values are added to the value of cards you want from them. It should only add the cheapest n, where n is how many you want.

sebi wrote:

sometimes I might just want a Lightning Bolt, I don't care if it's foil or not. Or is that not the case?

Sometimes, I might not be interested in paying premium prices for a foil card when all I want is a functional Lightning Bolt for my deck. I think that this probably the case most of the time; if someone doesn't specifically indicate that they want foils, they're probably not interested in trading for them at foil prices. If I've got a single regular Lightning Bolt in my wishlist and all you've got is a foil one, it shouldn't match us for $10 worth of trades.

NMS127 wrote:

Also, I noticed another bug with adding up the total value of trades. If you have one copy of a card on your wishlist and another user has multiple different types of that card, all of their values are added to the value of cards you want from them. It should only add the cheapest n, where n is how many you want.

I posted this as a new thread sometime last week. Hopefully Sebi sees one of these two.

IronMagus wrote:
sebi wrote:

sometimes I might just want a Lightning Bolt, I don't care if it's foil or not. Or is that not the case?

Sometimes, I might not be interested in paying premium prices for a foil card when all I want is a functional Lightning Bolt for my deck. I think that this probably the case most of the time; if someone doesn't specifically indicate that they want foils, they're probably not interested in trading for them at foil prices. If I've got a single regular Lightning Bolt in my wishlist and all you've got is a foil one, it shouldn't match us for $10 worth of trades.

This seems like it would cause a problem matching promos as some users mark them foil and some do not since generally there's not a non-foil option for said promos.  When I'm looking for a promo I don't care, since they're all foil...  Also sometime I see a foil and decide I'd trade for that, even though I didn't put foil in my wish list.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-08-24 18:29:43)

As I said in one of my previous posts, perhaps there should be an option to specify non-foil for cards on your wishlist. I still think the default should be a "don't care" though.

gumgodMTG wrote:

This seems like it would cause a problem matching promos as some users mark them foil and some do not since generally there's not a non-foil option for said promos.  When I'm looking for a promo I don't care, since they're all foil...

There are ways around that. One way might just be to have foils and non-foils as separate editions in the database, instead of using a flag. The promo cards would only have one edition, foil or non-foil as the case may be. Then for example, something like Ancient Hellkite would have "M11," M11 (foil)" and "MtG Launch Parties (foil)" as options.

Or maybe instead of that, the individual promos could be hard-coded to either force, or ignore, the "foil" flag on a case-by-case basis.

At the very least, a simple "Is Foil: [yes / no / don't care] option in the wishlist would allow users (like me) to specifically exclude foils if they do actually care.

Also sometime I see a foil and decide I'd trade for that, even though I didn't put foil in my wish list.

Worst case, it still shows up in pink background unless you have "exact matching" turned on.