Topic: Help grade the condition on this card please

I am in a transaction (not saying if I am receiving or sending to have some neutrality). The link is to the picture of the card. using this sites guidelines and black border's guideline what condition is the card in. Note the dispute is over where the edge wear and black marks on it at. would make it SP, P, or HP

verything, especially on foils

Blackborder: http://www.blackborder.com/cgi-bin/cust … dition.cgi

Deckbox card condtions: http://deckbox.org/help/card_conditions

Card in question: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNsmW … sp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNsmW … sp=sharing

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Last edited by fairportmagic (2014-09-19 21:49:09)

Post's attachments

10435699_10152675838078186_493238635155460608_n.jpg 98.55 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Help grade the condition on this card please

Definitely not HP. SP or P

I would go with played, but I'm pretty hard on grades and grade my stuff the same way, my sp condition is usually another persons nm

It's Lightly-Played. It has two LP-level dings, but nothing so egregious as to push it down to MP.

according to blackborder would it automatically be HP due to the black marks (possibly sharpie) or not? Deckbox doesn't do a great job at classifying such marks. If it were a cheaper card it wouldn't be much of a concern but resale value is a serious factor for both parties. If it weren't for the black marks I would think it would be clearly SP

HP ratings: "This card has seen a lot of heavy use. It may have a large amount of edge wear, permanent black marks and a lot of scratches, or it may be an otherwise mint, near mint or lightly played card with one or two major defects such as water damage, a slight tear, or a noticeable crease."

Last edited by fairportmagic (2014-09-19 19:40:54)

I would grade it as SP from that picture. The overall physical condition of the card itself would be no worse than that.  I do not think that in that condition with the marks it would drastically affect value by more than a couple dollars. However thats my opinion based on personal preference.

well if it was exchanged as NM and received like that, what would people deem reasonable compensation?

Last edited by fairportmagic (2014-09-19 15:42:11)

Helios52 wrote:

I would grade it as SP from that picture. The overall physical condition of the card itself would be no worse than that.  I do not think that in that condition with the marks it would drastically affect value by more than a couple dollars. However thats my opinion based on personal preference.

In my opinion anything with sharpie marks is damaged.  I also want to add in shuffle play even without the lines that correspond to being shuffled down the middle. A card will be in played condition for me if I can feel such weakness and erosion (being flimsy) in the center of the card.  I recently returned a SP Windswept Heath I bought on ebay because the card had erosion in the top center due to shuffle play despite the card its physical appearance being SP.  The erosion put it at best MP.

On the same token I never acquire altered cards, they too are damaged to me (being a collector).  I wouldn't pay the same price for a work of Picasso if someone else painted over the original work.  Autographed cards are much the same though they I price at about what the regular card is priced at.  Autographs are just so easily attainable nowadays.  As I can't access Googledrive I can't give my opinion on the cards' condition.

I just attached the picture in addition to the link in the 1st post for anyone having trouble with the picture link

there are actually 3 pretty visible scratches, not just 2. As far as foil anything not NM I fell the vale is hurt more than a non-foil that's NM. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNsmW … sp=sharing

Last edited by fairportmagic (2014-09-19 19:42:15)

I would say played according to black border: "This card has obviously been played with in an unprotected state. It will have more minor defects than a lightly played card, but no major defects. There may be quite a lot of wear on the edges and/or many scratch marks."  I wouldn't say HP as it is in good condition besides edges and couple of small scratches from what I can see.  With deckbox I'd say LP-P.

Last edited by pumpkinsword (2014-09-19 18:38:53)

so how much off would you think is reasonable. It was exchanged at $75 for a NM, what price would be reasonable to exchange it to ($75 is the price for a slightly played jace on other sites but based upon agreeing $75 for a NM jace ). What amount should it be discounted. It seems like the consensus is it is played to very low end SP. according to blackborder the value of a played card is 80% at most making the new price $60.

Last edited by fairportmagic (2014-09-19 19:00:13)

fairportmagic wrote:

so how much off would you think is reasonable. It was exchanged at $75 for a NM, what price would be reasonable to exchange it to ($75 is the price for a slightly played jace on other sites but based upon agreeing $75 for a NM jace ). What amount should it be discounted. It seems like the consensus is it is play-very low end SP. according to blackborder the value of a played card is 80% at most making the new price $60.

I would say it is played and $60 seems to be a fair evaluation.

I would agree 65-60 would be a reasonable number.