Topic: White Cat Deck

Hello,

i am busy making a mono white cats deck.
https://deckbox.org/sets/693680
I wanted to combine a playable deck which contains some bigger creatures.
Deathrender is a way to get the expensiv cats easier into play.
Shuko and Lightning Greaves have 0 equipmentcosts which allows me to swap them with Leonin Shikari. This allows me to give all my creatures shroud or put them on Kemba, Kha Regent just before my upkeap. Furtheron they are cheap to play.
Heartseeker is used as combination of equipment and for example Path to exile.
Stonehewer Giant is the only exception to get my artifacts faster into play.

I have been thinking about adding some more non basic lands, but I don't want to have to many lands that enter the battlefield tapped.
It's more a multiplayer than a 1on1 deck.

I would like to hear some comments/advices.

Greetings
Marc

Re: White Cat Deck

I'm assuming this deck is meant for purely casual play?

What can you tell us about your competition?  What types of decks do you see?  Are you looking for a specific format?  What is your budget to improve the deck?

There are quite a few suggestions that I can make but I always tell people, the more info you can give us, the better the responses we can give you.

For the meantime, you can reference my mono-white cat EDH deck (https://deckbox.org/sets/355176) - Kemba is typically the commander, but sometimes I'll feel like something a bit different and switch it to Raksha.

It's mainly for casual play. I'm quite aware that it's to slow like this for a tournament. When we play, I encounter all kinds of decks. Aggro, mill, control, ... I want to build a good basic which I can test against the other decks and see where i face problems. By now I've only been playing either decks of others or my Simic Mutology Theme deck (just started with magic some months ago).
Concerning the financial part. I'm willing to put some money into this deck. Saving a bit of money and still being no threat to the rest ... than I could beter have bought no cards at all smile
For cards like Brimaz I'll wait till they roll out of the standard format, but if there are other cards like him, that might improve the deck and perchance will become cheaper when they roll out of standard, please let me know.

I tried mono white cats a little bit in EDH.  I really like lightning greaves in the deck, but not Shuko.  If you have enough legendary creatures consider Konda's Banner.  It has gotten a bit more pricey since I made that old deck of mine but it's good on any of the legendary cats, particularly Kemba.  Leonin Abunas is also really good.  If you have enough artifacts to support metal craft (can even be worked into your land base) then Puresteel Paladin is great with Leonin Shikari.  Since you're running stone hewer I would say you could run 1 Argentum Armor to deal with opposing things.  Oblivion Ring, Oblation and Council's Judgment are all good mono-white answers also.

Many of your cats are also soldiers or knights, so Auriok Steelshaper is also worth looking at.

This is my old list.  I imported it so you could have a look.  It was never optimized (there are a lot of just odd or bad cards in there) but was fun to play and often stronger than people expected. 

https://deckbox.org/sets/799057

After a while though, I took it apart to make Sisay EDH which was actually much stronger due to all the tutors.

Also while it doesn't add to the playability of the deck, I did go out of my way to run Ancient Den and plains featuring tall razor grass because this is where the leonin live.  tongue

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-10-04 15:43:17)

Mmhh... there are quite some nice cards in both your decks.
Adding Puresteel Paladin will, like Stonehewer Giant make it less a cat deck, but I think this will make the deck much more dangerous. Puresteel Paladin, Leonin Shikari and Heartseeker will allow to destroy almost every creature on the board just before my upkeep.
I'll have to think a bit about it.