Topic: Modern Event Deck cards -- fake?

Anyone who has experience handling cards from the Modern Event Decks...do they "feel" different than regular cards to you?  I just received several of these in a trade, and they all feel "off" to me.  First thing I noticed was they're super slick, and the finish reflects light differently (just slightly) compared to other cards, although I suppose those could both just be due to how new they are (trader said they were never used, went straight from the pack to the sleeve to the trade box, and then to me.)  They look alright, and they do pass the "light" test (semi-transparent to a bright light such as on a smartphone, with a weird pattern showing through) which is probably a good sign, but they just felt strange enough in my hand that I thought I should post here and see if anyone else has noticed the same issue.  So, do they all feel like that, or should I rip one in half and look for the blue line?

Re: Modern Event Deck cards -- fake?

I've personally pulled tons of cards from packs and other sealed product that seem to have a different finish like you describe, even within the same set. I couldn't tell you what causes the difference (different printer maybe), but they're likely real.

Kammikaze wrote:

I've personally pulled tons of cards from packs and other sealed product that seem to have a different finish like you describe, even within the same set.

Same here. One in particular that I remember was the M14 Deckbuilder's Toolkit, most of the green cards were noticeably darker (the green part) and had a slightly different finish.

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

Ah that's good to hear, thanks smile

They should be legit. Like he/she stated above, every print tends to be a bit different

what I've heard is the event decks and other similar supplemental products are printed slightly differently... i have the sorin vs tibalt duel decks and they feel slightly "waxier" than other cards... i think this is to be expected...

they're certainly not "fake" though... as in counterfeit.