Re: Online Trading for Dummies - Proper Trade Etiquette

Actinide wrote:

Is it possible to reassign community admins if none are active?

Probably but that's something that can only be done by the Deckbox Team. Mods have only been granted thread controls (Move, Delete, Copy, Close, Stick) and do NOT have the same access as Community Admins.

AsymptomaticPyrexia wrote:
Actinide wrote:

Is it possible to reassign community admins if none are active?

Probably but that's something that can only be done by the Deckbox Team. Mods have only been granted thread controls (Move, Delete, Copy, Close, Stick) and do NOT have the same access as Community Admins.

Fair enough.  Thanks for the info, feel free to delete any of these posts since they don't have relevance to the topic.  Just can't PM on this forum. smile

Would it be possible to add in a section for international trading?  There seems to be a growing trend of people not knowing how to ship trades cross border in ways to minimize shipping costs.  Having a section with tips and tricks to minimize or prevent a postal headache would be great for traders looking to trade from their respective country to another country.

Kei_Asaki wrote:

Would it be possible to add in a section for international trading?  There seems to be a growing trend of people not knowing how to ship trades cross border in ways to minimize shipping costs.  Having a section with tips and tricks to minimize or prevent a postal headache would be great for traders looking to trade from their respective country to another country.

I would think that would need it's own thread. It seems kind of out of the realm of etiquette to me.

Well done man, well done.

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

How long do you give someone to respond if you see they've been online?  I just started out on here, I have 4 trades in the mail, but have proposed 10+ others.  Every trade I send out with a hello and all the cards are from our matching trade lists and wish lists.  A few people haven't replied at all, but are shown as active.  Do people typically just ignore a trade they don't want?  I don't want to spam/be annoying but I've got to assume they've seen it, since I sent it with a message and I get an email when someone proposes a trade to me, so I'm assuming they're receiving one when I do it as well.  I just don't want to be proposing a bunch of trades with overlapping cards, so I'm tempted to cancel the proposals so I can throw new ones out to other people x.x

ofmidnightskies wrote:

How long do you give someone to respond if you see they've been online?  I just started out on here, I have 4 trades in the mail, but have proposed 10+ others.  Every trade I send out with a hello and all the cards are from our matching trade lists and wish lists.  A few people haven't replied at all, but are shown as active.  Do people typically just ignore a trade they don't want?  I don't want to spam/be annoying but I've got to assume they've seen it, since I sent it with a message and I get an email when someone proposes a trade to me, so I'm assuming they're receiving one when I do it as well.  I just don't want to be proposing a bunch of trades with overlapping cards, so I'm tempted to cancel the proposals so I can throw new ones out to other people x.x

The short answer is as long as you want, especially when stalking them.  As is stated here, there are many reasons to use deckbox and people aren't here to serve you.  They may be busy, considering the trade, just signed on to check a card/deck, didn't like something you did, don't like the trade, seeing how impatient you are to gauge if you're a scammer, etc.  Stalking doesn't help this in any way.  If you're in a rush, just cancel the trade.  Otherwise you have to wait for whatever reason they aren't responding.

I've found that, after a few days, changing something in the trade and then change it back is usually a good idea to give people time.  This kicks the trade down so it has to be re-proposed to be accepted and it doesn't tie anything up in a commitment for people who take a while with trades.  If it's in an editing stage, there really isn't a need to cancel and it gives people all the time they want.

Last edited by Japoco (2016-06-28 10:33:02)

Japoco wrote:

The short answer is as long as you want, especially when stalking them.  As is stated here, there are many reasons to use deckbox and people aren't here to serve you.  They may be busy, considering the trade, just signed on to check a card/deck, didn't like something you did, don't like the trade, seeing how impatient you are to gauge if you're a scammer, etc.  Stalking doesn't help this in any way.  If you're in a rush, just cancel the trade.  Otherwise you have to wait for whatever reason they aren't responding.

I've found that, after a few days, changing something in the trade and then change it back is usually a good idea to give people time.  This kicks the trade down so it has to be re-proposed to be accepted and it doesn't tie anything up in a commitment for people who take a while with trades.  If it's in an editing stage, there really isn't a need to cancel and it gives people all the time they want.

Oh it was less stalking them and more rechecking trades after I had added more to my tradelist and wishlist.  It's just the only forum trading I've ever done was wayyy back on d2jsp and then on the PoE forums.  Both were pretty quick so I just wanted an idea of the atmosphere here.

I tended to wait a few days. If the trade wasn't responded to, I'd cancel it and leave some message encouraging trade in the future.

My deciding factor was when I might get two cards proposed at the same time.

Above though, is also accurate. I use deckbox almost daily, but do zero trading currently. Don't forget to post on reddit's subsection, and don't get discouraged.

ofmidnightskies wrote:

Oh it was less stalking them and more rechecking trades after I had added more to my tradelist and wishlist.  It's just the only forum trading I've ever done was wayyy back on d2jsp and then on the PoE forums.  Both were pretty quick so I just wanted an idea of the atmosphere here.

It's pretty hard to group it up.  Newer traders are usually expecting/giving quick responses while people with more trades have a tendency to go slower, they seem to check up on people more, are just not as in a rush to get what they want, and have already spent too much time running around for cards and/or are tired of getting bad offers so they just wait and see.  Other people only trade on certain days and just read the messages as they pop up.

I typically end up checking a trade on my phone, then when I get home I'll check up on them (cancelled/accepted/proposed trades, how many trades currently open, inventory v. tradelist v. wantlist, what they're offering v. wanting v. their TL, etc.)  Unless it's something I absolutely need I'll usually wait until I have free time (usually a couple days) and then look through TL and see if it's something I'm interested in.  If someone proposes something stupid I'll either ignore it or if I'm bored, I'll drag it out so they think I'm stupid enough to do the trade before I cancel.  If someone gets pushy or are in a rush, I usually take it as a sign they're trying to do something shady with the trade (price increases/reprints/etc) and am more than happy to let them cancel.

Like I said, if it's something you need and aren't in all that much of a rush, just kick the trade down into the editing stage and it can sit there forever with no consequences, in case they are just someone who's slow to respond.  They'd still have to re-propose the trade before it can be accepted.

Japoco wrote:

Like I said, if it's something you need and aren't in all that much of a rush, just kick the trade down into the editing stage and it can sit there forever with no consequences, in case they are just someone who's slow to respond.  They'd still have to re-propose the trade before it can be accepted.

This. Just be polite in the chat box and people (in my experience) on here have been more than willing to work with ya smile

Fwiw, keep an eye out when I bump my trading thread. I'll happily trade with ya once I am active again.