Topic: Advice on a Niv-Mizzet Firemind EDH deck

So I need some advice on my EDH deck. This is in no uncertain terms a Depths of Power premade deck that I did some fixing on. I added concepts like transmute and overload to give the deck some variety.

I wanted this deck to be reasonably high skill to operate because I get bored playing low-concept aggro decks. I wanted this deck to be about knowing where the important cards are and having ways to get them. This isn't really intended to win so much as give much more refined (and expensive) decks a bad day for as long as possible.

Problem is this deck is VERY slow on the deploy. I know that most EDH decks have a 4-5 turn launch period, but this deck's card synergy takes four or five additional turns to really go anywhere. By turn 10 it's usually fully deployed, but that's a long time twiddling my thumbs to defend myself.

Advice would be appreciated. http://deckbox.org/sets/482399?s=n&o=a

Re: Advice on a Niv-Mizzet Firemind EDH deck

If you wanted to be "that guy," you might include a Curiosity for the infinite combo with Niv-Mizzet.

Nin, the Pain Artist and Arcanis the Omnipotent are both good in this deck as well.  The Enclave Cryptologist and the Archivist might be too slow.  Also a Quietus Spike on your general is pretty broken.

sk00gle wrote:

If you wanted to be "that guy," you might include a Curiosity for the infinite combo with Niv-Mizzet.

Ophidian Eye = Curiosity #2.  Hey someone has to win.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-09-21 19:06:12)

Hmm. I'm pretty sure a Quietus Spike and a Basilisk Collar will work just dandy. After some thought, though, I don't think Curiosity or Ophidian Eye are that good, at least not in EDH.

The problem is how many cards I'd have to draw. On a 1v1 Magic game, you only need to draw a third of your library to eliminate an opponent, but with EDH you have multiple opponents with 40 life. It'll take half the deck to take a player out. If you've got three opponents or the combo doesn't come together almost instantly I won't have enough cards in my library and I'd just overextend my deck casting it.

It's a good sideboard idea for 1v1, but probably not a mainboard. And EDH doesn't have sideboards.

Egann wrote:

Hmm. I'm pretty sure a Quietus Spike and a Basilisk Collar will work just dandy. After some thought, though, I don't think Curiosity or Ophidian Eye are that good, at least not in EDH.

The problem is how many cards I'd have to draw. On a 1v1 Magic game, you only need to draw a third of your library to eliminate an opponent, but with EDH you have multiple opponents with 40 life. It'll take half the deck to take a player out. If you've got three opponents or the combo doesn't come together almost instantly I won't have enough cards in my library and I'd just overextend my deck casting it.

It's a good sideboard idea for 1v1, but probably not a mainboard. And EDH doesn't have sideboards.

If you're looking to take out multiple opponents this way you just need a way to to discard an Eldrazi that shuffles your graveyard in response to one of the triggers (Frantic Search will do it). Mind Over Matter will also auto win with your general.  Unfortunately the Eldrazi are not very budget friendly when they only serve the purpose of reshuffling.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-09-24 14:36:20)

i once ran a niv deck that completely pissed EVERYBODY off! lol  Venser's journal is amazing here as would Charisma, Freed from the Real, and Mind Unbound

gumgodMTG wrote:
Egann wrote:

If you're looking to take out multiple opponents this way you just need a way to to discard an Eldrazi that shuffles your graveyard in response to one of the triggers (Frantic Search will do it). Mind Over Matter will also auto win with your general.  Unfortunately the Eldrazi are not very budget friendly when they only serve the purpose of reshuffling.

That's why the Elixir of Immortality and Feldon's Cane are in there. I'm pretty sure I'll throw in a psychic spiral, too.  Never use an expensive card when a cheap one will do the same thing. The problem is putting cars IN the graveyard. When the only options are a seven card hand and ALL TEH CARDS, it can actually be kinda hard getting them in there.

VampireArmy wrote:

i once ran a niv deck that completely pissed EVERYBODY off! lol  Venser's journal is amazing here as would Charisma, Freed from the Real, and Mind Unbound

I confess, I made this deck because I wanted to see two things: that Hypersonic Dragon pulling all sorts of insta-sorcery shenanigans, and Tamiyo, the Moon Sage giving me her emblem.

Which of the Niv's would you recommend?

oh i'd definitely stick with the firemind.  His shenanigans are way too priceless to overlook. add in a jace the memory adept too.  his -10 with a tamyio emblem is more like "draw ten cards" which also lets you ping 10 things, which could also kill them or put them under your control with proper enchantments/artifacts.  im in favor of a more voltron build with the firemind.  sounds like amazing fun. i might have to rebuild that deck of mine haha