Topic: Important! Card packaging!

Please consider when packaging your trades for shipping the journey they may take along the way... here is one of my recent batches of acquisitions, as I received it:
http://i.imgur.com/UHHU1.jpg
It can often still be only a couple of bucks to send with confirmation and in a padded/bubble envelope. Just something to think about.

Also: Please be sure to double- and then triple-check your trades before sealing them up and sending them off. 2 of my first 5 trades have been missing a card. It's not the end of the world - luckily both have agreed to work it out - but super disappointing.

Just seems that the better experience people have trading within this group, the larger potential pool of cards we all have access to. Thanks! smile

Re: Important! Card packaging!

agreed even if in a regular envelope top loaders work as well.

Return address from Hades?

I always wince when I get cards just chucked into an envelope. I got one today but to be fair it only had two Doom Blades in it.

For reference, I always send my cards in a padded envelope. I use toploaders if it's a few cards. Otherwise, I sleeve each card in a deck sleeve (not the soft clear ones) and wrap it in strong cardboard before insertion into a padded envelope. The cost to ship this envelope with delivery confirmation is $2.80. That's not a lot of money.

Man! The package I sent you must of looked gift wrapped in comparison! sorry for your loss man if lost any of the cards that is. sad

Haha that was me with the doomblades, sorry! That was one of my first times sending cards and I didn't get with the program until receiving a couple. I sent out 2 snapcasters the other day and that package was rock solid and encased in bubble wrap tongue

SuicidalFate0 wrote:

agreed even if in a regular envelope top loaders work as well.

I strongly disagree.  I recently ordered some Koths on ebay and the seller sent them in top loaders, but in a regular envelope.  The envelope wore away and tore during shipping to the point the cards were nearly falling out of it when they arrived.  I was shocked none were missing.

Unless the person you're trading with is okay with you using a regular envelope, use sturdy packaging.  And remember to save bubble mailers because you can reuse them!

Bubble mailers aren't expensive. I've found that to be the best option every time.

If I received cards looking like the picture above it'd be negative feedback, simple as that. Especially if something fell out.

HOWEVER, Here is what you can do at the very least. Tape the top loader to the inside of the envelope. Tape the top loader shut. Tape the toploader in a way so that the cards on the inside cannot get stuck to the tape (reverse the inner sleeve...).

I've completed over 50 trades now (here and off site) and I've never had a problem. I make sure to explain packaging to any members I'm trading with who have never traded before. It's as important a step as asking what condition the cards are in.

ErickC wrote:

Bubble mailers aren't expensive.

True, but my post office charges about $2 minimum to ship them. I use them for trades of >$10 or for a lot of cards, but I started using pretty much the same method you described for cheaper trades. I'd rather buy the cards at my LGS and support them than waste ~50% of a trade's value on shipping.

Just clarify it with the person you're trading with ahead of time.  If you're both okay with using regular envelopes, more power to you.

packaging instructions are now stickied. I spend exactly 2 bucks packaging and getting delivery confirmation with each trade nowadays if the cards are worth over 50 dollars. Otherwise, I've never had problems with a well secured toploader in a white envelope.

I did a writeup the other day on how to package cards, as well as how to save considerable money on packaging and delivery confirmation.

I usually only spend $1.64 on postage, and frequently just reuse padded envelopes that people have sent me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/commen … ng_advice/

marumari wrote:

I did a writeup the other day on how to package cards, as well as how to save considerable money on packaging and delivery confirmation.

I usually only spend $1.64 on postage, and frequently just reuse padded envelopes that people have sent me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/commen … ng_advice/

I linked the sticky to your thread, maru wink You can have all of my upvotes ever.

Yeah, I saw that about two hours later and felt properly derpy.  wink

I picked up a 12 pack of bubble envelopes at staples for ten bucks. Post office was 1.5 each so plan ahead with bulk and u are saving big.

Nice!  I did post -- in the stickied thread -- about how you can get them off of eBay for about 30¢/envelope, although you obviously have to wait for them to get shipped to you first.

Last edited by marumari (2012-03-01 18:08:22)

mbknight wrote:

I picked up a 12 pack of bubble envelopes at staples for ten bucks. Post office was 1.5 each so plan ahead with bulk and u are saving big.

Heck, if you don't want to keep 500 envelopes, you can always just sell the ones that you aren't using at lower quantities for higher prices tongue I have a feeling I'll be using all 1000 of the bubble mailers that I bought though.