Topic: Haven't played in a long time.....need advice

I have recently decided to start collecting again after a 10 year lay off.  i have a couple of premade decks in "endless dead" and "deathfed".  i saw a set called the deck builders kit for 24.99 with 100 land 125 cards and 4 random boosters.  any thoughts for or against this kit?

Re: Haven't played in a long time.....need advice

It really depends what you want to do and what you have access to.

I started playing MTG again about half a year ago and I didn't have any of my old cards and didn't have any friends who played MTG. Luckily, my local game store held weekly limited tournaments (where you don't need your own cards to play) so I participated there and slowly built myself a collection with the cards I've gotten through said tournaments and from trading, to the point where I can now build myself a nice constructed deck despite never having bought any cards (OK, except for one fat pack per set. I love fat packs)

They're not too bad - but you might also want to consider a Fat Pack.  In both cases the booster packs will be the only source of rares/mythics, so the Toolkit will get you more cards, whereas the Fat Pack will get you fewer cards overall, but more rare/mythics.

Both should contain enough land to satisfy your needs...

Just something to think about.  smile

thanks for the different points of view guys.  i have a couple of decent rares out of some boosters so far so hopefully that keeps coming.  i wanna have a few decks to play with so both options seem decent.  i have a couple of friends who drug out their old collections of 2k plus cards so i need a few options.  thanks again

If you can find a shop that runs Friday Night Magic (FNM) its a good way to see/get cards and free promos.
Drafts are good, as rather than getting ~45 cards (three boosters) randomly, you get 45~ of the colours and types you want.

Fat packs are great for a dice, boosters, and a box.
As stated before the deck builders are very good if you need the lands.

Vans wrote:

thanks for the different points of view guys.  i have a couple of decent rares out of some boosters so far so hopefully that keeps coming.  i wanna have a few decks to play with so both options seem decent.  i have a couple of friends who drug out their old collections of 2k plus cards so i need a few options.  thanks again

I would go with the Deck builders Tool kit. When I got back into it, thats what I got, and it was enough to build around 4 decks, enough for friends to play. Of course it was nothing good enough to bring to FNM, but is an amazing starting point to get the hang of the game. Also, instead of the fat pack I would get a booster box. Fat packs (~40) come with 9 boosters, while the boxes come with 36 (~100). You get more for your money.

Another thing, there are alot of great drafting apps for smart phones, i reccomend getting them and practicing on it. Drafting is a great way to compete without spending lots of money. And its fun smile.

My girlfriend and I purchassed tool boxes and then my freinds and I did a closed toolbox build and are now going to do some trading within those boxes.
We are keeping the boxes away from our collection to learn to make use of the cards we have rather than buying 4 of each card needed for deck building and its been fun

When I got back in around 6 months ago I had some older cards to trade for standard rares and I just buy playsets of the common and uncommons that come out I think in the long run it is cheaper to buy or trade for what you need but nothing beats the thrill of pullling a $40 card.

I just got back into magic again myself, I started collecting when I was little and then stopped for about 7 years. Sadly all my cards were thrown out or given away cause my mom thought I would never have any use for them again. But once you play magic, you never go back. So when I started I just decided to go to my local shop and see if they were doing Friday Night Magic (FNM) to my surprise the shop not only did that they also did a few other days of Magic play. I decided to go to the draft and try my hand in that. It turns out that draft format is by far my favorite right now (though I have mainly only played draft). The first Draft I went too was around a month ago and I now go back every week, and starting to go on FNM and on thrusdays for the EDH tournament.

If I were you I would get a box ($100) and then go to your local store for either FNM or Draft. it is incredibly fun. And you will be guaranteed more bang for your buck with a box (a minimum of 6 Mythic rares per box vs. fat pack that only guarantees 9 rares).

Have fun! hope this helped.

ElfenLied wrote:

And you will be guaranteed more bang for your buck with a box (a minimum of 6 Mythic rares per box vs. fat pack that only guarantees 9 rares).

The mythic count per box swings wildly; I have seen as few as 3 and as many as 11.  I don't mean to be Correcty McCorrectorson but I don't want someone to shell out $100 based on the 6+ mythics per box statement solely.  You're still correct, though, boxes are the right choice if you have the money.