Topic: Card Quality

I read the BTR's pretty regularly, and I've noticed latley it seems issues are switching from scammers, missing cards to card quality issues. I know this is a tough tough area to deal with, but just thinking that this is probably an area where the trade system has room for improvement. The only thing that the trade rules really refer to card condition that I found is:

2.3 Card conditions can not be subject of dispute unless they were specifically mentioned in the trade negotiation (marked as such in the trade itself, or discussed in the trade chat or deckbox emails).

So basically your cards should be NM if marked as NM. But what standard are we going with? Perhaps deckbox should choose a standard, one used by another site, or one of our own that is probably similar to another site, and link it in the trade acceptance? Something that concretely says "this is NM, this is LP, etc.

Lastly, maybe all cards should default to SP. let the owner take the initiative of marking a card as NM if he or she really feels that it is a high quality card. TBH I think it is easy to argue that most cards that weren't straight pack to sleeve aren't NM. Heck even sleeving a card sometimes you can nick or wear an edge and get a little whiting, and that isn't NM.

One last suggestion, maybe make a way for a user to flag themselves as "condition important, condition neutral, condition lax" or something like that, so if I'm trading with someone who I know really cares about card condition I'll double check each card.  That is basically what I do, if they have something on their blurb about NM CARDS MUST BE NM or something I'll double check each card. If not I admit I might send something that one could argue NM/SP.  I've never had a person complain about condition but sometimes when you know someone cares you'll explain any little flaw, and that avoids a BTR later right?

Re: Card Quality

This would be a huge improvement.

As far as card grading, please pick one grading scale and stick with it.  Don't mix conditions from different grading scales.  It should be one of:

M > NM > EX > VG > G > P

<or>

M > NM > EX > VF > F > P

<or>

M > NM > SP > LP > HP

For now, to work around the problem of mixed grading scale and not knowing what to use, I try to enter all of my cards with no grading.  This means that if condition is important that it will be brought up in the trade.

Re: Card Quality

psrex wrote:

This would be a huge improvement.

As far as card grading, please pick one grading scale and stick with it.  Don't mix conditions from different grading scales.  It should be one of:

M > NM > EX > VG > G > P

<or>

M > NM > EX > VF > F > P

<or>

M > NM > SP > LP > HP

For now, to work around the problem of mixed grading scale and not knowing what to use, I try to enter all of my cards with no grading.  This means that if condition is important that it will be brought up in the trade.

People also need to learn how to grade their own cards. For less than a $10 investment they can buy a collection of 3 jewler's loupe at different magnification to check corners, sides and surface and an OmniGrid to measure centering.

I send out trades in order of Best to Worst so if I have 2 of the same card for sale the one with the highest grading goes out first.

My two cents.

http://pwp.wizards.com/5101681338/Scorecards/Landscape.png