Re: Price issues

The Unglued Sheep token card is listed as $500.

camh wrote:

Fixed, also added image for it.

foil lorwyn thoughtseize @10k

Ravages of War is listed at over $4k currently, which is clearly in error.

Fixed Thoughtseize & Ravages of War.

Hello again!

I would like to ask if it is really a good idea that you are trying to build pricing information on your own?

The prices for most of the cards are way off - I'm looking at my more expensive cards,
lets see Tarmogoyf for example:

Tarmogoyf [$165] [$176.67]

There is one person who would trade this (at lest one guy shows up for me), with the Future Sight version
selling for $180, even this is way above your shown value - Not to say that nobody will sell you a Tarmogoyf under
around $200 nowadays.

According to MTGprice, the Future sight version is $199.24, the MM one $207.39 as of september 3rd -

If I would like to check the value of my collection, according to your database I'm off ~4x30$- 120$
only with a playset of Goyfs ...

Any chance to add a few more price resources from outside, just to smooth out these peaks?

Thanks for the great work you are doing, and making possible to track our collection!!!
-otto

Last edited by ZuluKilo (2014-09-03 07:50:37)

ZuluKilo wrote:

There is one person who would trade this (at lest one guy shows up for me), with the Future Sight version
selling for $180, even this is way above your shown value - Not to say that nobody will sell you a Tarmogoyf under
around $200 nowadays.

In the seller listing for this card, here on deckbox, you can click All sellers in the filter, you will see there are 6 people selling Tarmagoyf right now, with prices between 162 and 190$.

My point being, if there are 6 people that want to sell this card at these prices right here & now, why should we trust external price providers that the value of this card is more than that. What is the definition of the card value then, if not what people are willing to sell it for? smile

sebi wrote:
camh wrote:

Fixed, also added image for it.

The other unglued tokens are also missing images. 

Squirrel
Soldier
Zombie
Pegasus
Goblin
Sheep *fixed already but not showing up here when hovered over.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-03 17:21:09)

gumgodMTG wrote:

Fixed. (You might need to Shift-Refresh for the tooltips to work, browser is caching these).

Foiled Storm Crow from 7th edition shows as $ 435 card, I'm happy that I own such expensive card, but I'm afraid it may be just a mistake. wink

knedle wrote:

Foiled Storm Crow from 7th edition shows as $ 435 card, I'm happy that I own such expensive card, but I'm afraid it may be just a mistake. wink

Fixed.

sebi wrote:
gumgodMTG wrote:

Fixed. (You might need to Shift-Refresh for the tooltips to work, browser is caching these).

Thanks for fixing the Unglued Tokens.  Is there any chance of getting other tokens and emblems added to deckbox?  It would make it much easier to find Myr player rewards tokens if I could add them to my wish list... I know I've asked this before, but I just wanted to mention it again as it's been a while.  big_smile 

A good resource for token info is here:
http://magiccards.info/extras.html

Thanks for all your hard work on the site!

knedle wrote:

There are 2 copies on TCG right now for $450 and $500 respectively. Ebay has none available. ABU has none available. SCG has none available. Note that SCG doesn't update their prices when they are out of stock. Looks like $400+ is the going rate.

Kammikaze wrote:

There are 2 copies on TCG right now for $450 and $500 respectively. Ebay has none available. ABU has none available. SCG has none available. Note that SCG doesn't update their prices when they are out of stock. Looks like $400+ is the going rate.

Pardon my ignorance, I've been playing and collecting MTG cards when there was almost no internet, and I'm just back and haven't yet grasped all usefull sites. What TCG stands for?

Also today I've noticed that Spatula of the Ages is labeled as common, althought it should be uncommon (according to silver egg on the card), and there is only one version of Storm Shaman from Deckmasters, while there should be two of them (21a and 21b).

Last edited by knedle (2014-09-05 14:46:49)

knedle wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, I've been playing and collecting MTG cards when there was almost no internet, and I'm just back and haven't yet grasped all usefull sites. What TCG stands for?

Oh it's not a problem. TCG = TCGPlayer.com. SCG=Star City Games. ABU=ABUGames.

Kammikaze wrote:
knedle wrote:

I don't believe that $400 is accurate, but $1.50 is not accurate any longer either.  Dan Bock was asking about them back in June, and they were available for around $5 then.

https://deckbox.org/forum/misc.php?item=331&download=0

I'm pretty someone bought out ABU.  I'm not sure where the price on these has settled, but 8th and 9th edition ones are now in the $4-10 range on e-bay.  It's valuable due to the "storm crow" joke aka the reputation of the storm crow.  You'll note that ABU games has none in stock, but they were selling for around $3.79 the last time they had them.  7th edition foils also tend to be more valuable than other core sets for various reasons.

A short time after he sold a couple on e-bay and got around $10 each.

https://deckbox.org/forum/misc.php?item=332&download=0

This is the only one from 7th edition showing up in sold items on e-bay.  So if you have one you should contact Dan Bock, he seems to be the go to storm crow guy.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-21 23:14:18)

Post's attachments

stormcrowBock.JPG 18.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

gumgodMTG wrote:

I don't believe that $400 is accurate, but $1.50 is not accurate any longer either.

Of course cards (and anything else, really) are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Since there are only 2 copies of the card (that I can find) available it seems reasonable that the going rate is somewhere close to the price of those 2 copies. I agree that $400 is probably high, but we don't have anything else to compare it to at the moment.

Kammikaze wrote:
gumgodMTG wrote:

I don't believe that $400 is accurate, but $1.50 is not accurate any longer either.

Of course cards (and anything else, really) are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Since there are only 2 copies of the card (that I can find) available it seems reasonable that the going rate is somewhere close to the price of those 2 copies. I agree that $400 is probably high, but we don't have anything else to compare it to at the moment.

But my point is they should be at least $10 because there were people willing to pay that just a short time ago, and there seem to be very few on the market, but I suspect that's because someone hoarded all of the ones that were available and people have not started listing them yet because it's a freaking common joke card and they don't realize it has that much value.

Also I think I ninja edited while you were replying. big_smile

Then I edited again because I wanted to add the second screenshot.  smile 

I'm pretty sure that there are people willing to undercut that $400 price tag... but the $1.50 *fixed* price that Sebi put on it is also wrong unless he has some he wants to sell for that price.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-05 15:48:21)

Post's attachments

stormcrowsold.jpg 35.89 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

gumgodMTG wrote:

I don't disagree with you on any point, I just don't think we can put a reasonably confident value on the card with so little up-to-date information. I personally have a foil 7th Storm Crow that I would absolutely be willing to sell for less than $400 tongue

Kammikaze wrote:
gumgodMTG wrote:

I don't disagree with you on any point, I just don't think we can put a reasonably confident value on the card with so little up-to-date information. I personally have a foil 7th Storm Crow that I would absolutely be willing to sell for less than $400 tongue

I just think this one is waiting on the market to reset.  If people start listing them again, and undercutting each other it won't take long to find out where they start selling.  I do think it's wrong to edit the price manually down to $1.50 though because I think a lot of people don't realize that it has went up to at least $10.  If you leave the price high, then they can go do their own research and put their own price on it.  But at $1.50 you leave it open for people that trust deckbox to end up in a bad trade.

You could also list yours for sale on deckbox and put your own price on it.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-05 15:56:04)

I propose we set it at $20 or $30 or something in the mean time. It's clearly worth at least $10 as it was selling for that 2 months ago. The 7th foil print run was significantly lower than subsequent sets and it was the first set with foils so it's reasonable that the value is at least a few times that of 8th and 9th edition. What do you think?

Kammikaze wrote:

I propose we set it at $20 or $30 or something in the mean time. It's clearly worth at least $10 as it was selling for that 2 months ago. The 7th foil print run was significantly lower than subsequent sets and it was the first set with foils so it's reasonable that the value is at least a few times that of 8th and 9th edition. What do you think?

That sounds reasonable to me.  I'll buy at $1.50 though if you have any for sale at that price XD

Also while on the topic, Storm Crow from Portal actually should have two versions.  There were six cards in one of the intro packs (demo game) that had reminder text.  These are rarer than the booster version which does not have reminder text.  The Storm Crow with reminder text in NM condition is about $7.50. 

The following six cards should have two versions available.
1 Armored Pegasus   
2 Bull Hippo   
3 Cloud Pirates   
4 Feral Shadow   
5 Snapping Drake
6 Storm Crow

gumgodMTG wrote:

(...)  I do think it's wrong to edit the price manually down to $1.50 though because I think a lot of people don't realize that it has went up to at least $10.  If you leave the price high, then they can go do their own research and put their own price on it.  But at $1.50 you leave it open for people that trust deckbox to end up in a bad trade. (...)

I think the issue isn't about manually editing (btw I didn't realize it was worth so much right now, and if I remember correctly, I have tons of it from Alliances, Sixth and Portal sitting in one of my common boxes), the issue is that the algo used for setting up the prices should be tweaked to take things like that into consideration.

For example the algo should take into consideration people's trade and wish lists (so supply and demand), if amount of cards of one type on all trade lists is more than what is on wish lists then there is more supply than demand, and price should be lowered by let's say 10%, if it's other way, price should be increased.
The other way would be to make an average price of all sucesfull trades and another average price from all sell orders, and then make one average price from them, but calculate it with differen weights: ( average_transaction_price * 5 + average_asking_price ) / 6. That would give transaction price 5 times more weight, than asking price.

knedle wrote:

I think the issue isn't about manually editing (btw I didn't realize it was worth so much right now, and if I remember correctly, I have tons of it from Alliances, Sixth and Portal sitting in one of my common boxes), the issue is that the algo used for setting up the prices should be tweaked to take things like that into consideration.

For example the algo should take into consideration people's trade and wish lists (so supply and demand), if amount of cards of one type on all trade lists is more than what is on wish lists then there is more supply than demand, and price should be lowered by let's say 10%, if it's other way, price should be increased.
The other way would be to make an average price of all sucesfull trades and another average price from all sell orders, and then make one average price from them, but calculate it with differen weights: ( average_transaction_price * 5 + average_asking_price ) / 6. That would give transaction price 5 times more weight, than asking price.

Our discussion was about the Foil 7th edition Storm Crow only. Non-foil printings are as cheap as they've always been. The problem here is that none of that specific printing (foil 7th) have been sold on DB since the spike so the algorithm didn't automatically update the value.