Topic: v3.2: Card quick search and dialogs, chat on orders, selling policies

I will start by presenting the coolest little feature of this release right away: Press Ctrl-i now, type a card name and hit Enter. When you're done, just hit Esc to close the dialog.

Pretty nifty, right? You can now bring up the Quick Find dialog on all pages of the website and forum. We hope this will improve workflows of checking card information and pricing as well as quickly finding sellers, deck ideas, or even adding things to your wishlist very fast.

You can just click on this Mutavault for example, check out how many you have in your inventory, add one to your wishlist and then press Esc, and go right back to reading this announcement. (Which you should! tongue).

Status of Market Prices

Last week we added missing promo sets to our database, and fixed many price issues. Market price data is considerably more stable now. We have also manually entered reference points for many of the missing prices for rarer cards and fixed issues with foils.

Thank you for your patience with us through the last 2 weeks. We believe the effort was definitely worth it. We are now in a better position that ever before with regards to card database and price information. We do not depend on external sources anymore, and have complete control over fixing pricing innaccuracies (which were a recurring problem over which we had no control back when we were using tcgplayer prices).

As promised, we will also be including this price data in the upcoming API, free for anyone to use, both with current prices and historical daily data points.

Buying & Selling improvements

A big feedback topic for the Market was that selling & buying should be more social when one wants it to be. To this end, we have added a Discuss with Seller button on shopping carts. After clicking it, the seller will also see the order as you (the buyer) are changing it, and you both get a chat box to discuss conditions of cards, shipping availability, minimum order values, possible discounts and whatever other topics you wish.

Speaking of discounts, there have been requests for some form of price negotiation, and while we do not wish to encourage haggling, there was indeed a need to allow sellers to discount order values in some cases. So we have now added a way for sellers to add a discount to an order that is being discussed, before the buyer confirms & pays (this is only true for orders for which the buyer has enabled the 'Discuss with Seller' button).

Another thing we added was an Add to Inventory button for buyers, that will add the cards they bought to their inventory and remove them from their wishlist.

Seller Account Policy Changes

An issue we need to address are sales advertised on the forum that do not go through our Market System. We have at the beginning thought it would be no problem to accept these to go on, but that was sadly wrong. Looking now at the Buying and Selling Cards forum, it is pretty obvious why this will not work: half of the posts there refer to users selling cards through paypal gifts - over which we cannot provide guarantees to buyers. A few of them even advertise external ebay listings!

To any potential buyer, this situation is confusing to say the least. It's not clear who's selling what, how, and what guarantees they can hope for, or how to go about buying said cards in a quick and easy way.

Our selling system was built for exactly the purpose of offering a solid Marketplace. Allowing unofficial, ad-hoc sales to go on on the forums is just moving us away from that goal, so starting from today we will not allow them anymore.

We know this might upset some of the sellers, and we sincerely hope they can find other methods and communities to sell cards without paying fees. But ultimately, we strongly believe this move is better for all the other 50.000 users and potential buyers, and for the deckbox community in general.

More infromation: http://deckbox.org/help/market_faq#other_sales

Upcoming Features: Inventory Improvements

There is a feature that we've been meaning to implement for years(!) now, and its time has finally come - tagging cards in inventories. Head over to the Site Feedback thread to find out our initial plans, and let us know what you'd like to see. In addition, we plan on adding the ability to upload card images and make notes on cards in inventories / tradelists / wishlists.

We've also started to work on getting all card collector numbers correct, and providing listings of printings per edition, allowing card addition by collector number, and better handling of cards that have multiple printings.

We also have some cool plans for the Market, involving buylists yikes, but we're not yet ready to announce anything. Stay tuned!

Hope you like the improvements, looking forward to your feedback, as always. Happy Trading!

Last edited by sebi (2014-05-04 16:38:57)

Re: v3.2: Card quick search and dialogs, chat on orders, selling policies

The update has broken all "Click to edit" functionality. I can't update the number of cards in my inventories or decks. It appears that the event that fires on defocus never fires, so the numbers aren't updated. Clicking another number to edit simply moves the input box to that row, but doesn't update the previously edited number. There's no errors on the console.

Edit: Confirmed in the latest Chrome and IE11, both with cleared cookies and forced refreshes.

Last edited by cyclotis04 (2014-05-04 14:43:38)

It was working if you pressed enter though tongue. In any case, fixed the blur event, works now if you just click away too. Thanks for reporting.

That was quick! Lookin' good!

This new search drop down widget is fine if I want to see what I have.

But I am adding huge piles of cards all the time. This new search method makes it so that it takes me twice as long to complete.

When I'm adding cards, at a glance I'd like to see what sets a particular card can be in. The newly implemented drop down makes it so I have to click into the set in order to see what other sets there are.

Also, when I'm done adding a single card, I have to ESC out of the little window and open an entirely new one. This seems like extra work compared to the last search area I had. I could move between one cards page and another without extra clicks or button presses, just type in my new card and move on.

The old adding system auto updated when I added (or removed) my cards so I could see my new totals.

If you guys really want stores to use this, and for them to sell online at the same time, your goal should be ease of use and movement through inventory. Adding, removing, and seeing what we have in stock.

Please go back to the quicker and easier to use old one. It's so much easier to manage my store inventory!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Adding cards in your inventory did not change in any way. How were you adding cards before?

Before I would add them directly from the cards page. It would have all sets on the page, as well as current stock.

I haven't used the mass excel import, as my stock is a little off and I need to redo my inventory anyways.

Here is my step by step of the old method.

mouse over Card Database

click Magic the Gathering

Input my search item into the search box (no longer there). The page opens.

Edit my card stock.

Search the new card in the search bar at the top of the window.

Input, search, input, search...

But the input dialog in your inventory would be much easier I think.

Go to Inventory, click on Import, you get an input for the card name, type beginning of card name, and it adds one automatically when you select the card. Then you can change the edition of the added card if you want, and click apply.

That way you do not need any advanced edit dialogs, and you can also use the Default Edition setting on the right of the import widget if you add many cards from an edition at the same time.

Pherhaps you did not try this option because the button is (maybe confusingly) called Import? If that is the case I will rename it to "Add Cards" pherhaps...

Also, if you are only using the website for trading and all cards are also for trade, you can do the same thing I mentioned above, directly in your tradelist. It will then automatically mark them for trade.

That's not a bad tool, my issue with is being that anytime I type in a card it automatically adds one.

So I have to figure out how many are in my hand, then account for the one added when I searched it.

When I type in a wrong card name, it adds cards I didn't intend to. If i don't catch it, it throws off my stock by one, when I'm trying to maintain an exact count.

An unannounced feature is that you've added a 2nd price to columns in certain views, which has negatively impacted the layout of those views. 

For example, when viewing a deck with the default columns, the casting cost column gets smashed to the point that it's word wrapping, making it completely unreadable.  This means people are going to turn off that column completely, diminishing your sales.

Additionally, when a card isn't for sale anywhere on Deckbox, the details column of inventory views no longer align properly.

Paddock wrote:

An unannounced feature is that you've added a 2nd price to columns in certain views, which has negatively impacted the layout of those views. 

For example, when viewing a deck with the default columns, the casting cost column gets smashed to the point that it's word wrapping, making it completely unreadable.  This means people are going to turn off that column completely, diminishing your sales.

Additionally, when a card isn't for sale anywhere on Deckbox, the details column of inventory views no longer align properly.

Could you give me a link to this deck? My decks look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yix1nwbeysxxf … .41.42.png

The details column never aligned properly actually since prices have varying length (in digits).

There is a thread in the site feedback forum with someone also being upset about the minimum prices, as you seem to be. We will add an option in settings where you can turn off the display of the minimum price should you find it not helpful.

sebi wrote:
Paddock wrote:

Could you give me a link to this deck? My decks look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yix1nwbeysxxf … .41.42.png

The details column never aligned properly actually since prices have varying length (in digits).

There is a thread in the site feedback forum with someone also being upset about the minimum prices, as you seem to be. We will add an option in settings where you can turn off the display of the minimum price should you find it not helpful.

Here's a deck:
http://i.imgur.com/z5OSvzl.png

Here's inventory:
http://i.imgur.com/1hQO2Ks.png

You don't seem to be viewing the power and toughness of your creatures, which is pretty fundamental to deck building.

And it's not that I hate it...but the cost column should never wrap, and maybe pricing should be in its own column for inventory / DB views.

dragonsfurygames wrote:

Here is my step by step of the old method.

mouse over Card Database

click Magic the Gathering

Input my search item into the search box (no longer there). The page opens.

Edit my card stock.

Search the new card in the search bar at the top of the window.

Input, search, input, search...

Bring this back please, I wake up to go put in some more JOU cards and find this atrocity. I appreciate the deckbox updates, but changing something that isn't broke seems like poor planning. PLEASE bring back to the way it was, or make it an option to this new method or not.

I, for one, love the new search function.

The inventory import tool is simple, elegant, and intuitive. It's also rather faster than the other methods I've seen mentioned.

Good work!
-Dave

ETA: Also, there's an Advanced Search option on the Card Database page; is this not the one you want to use (or was it just added back)?

Last edited by DispatchDave (2014-05-04 20:01:36)

Are you aware that the new pop up screen doesn't auto refresh.  Cause it used to be when you changed your wishlist it would then show up right away now you have to refresh it yourself to see if it was added.

I found it a lot better the way it was before when I clicked on a card and it opened a new tab and showed all the info about who was selling and how many I had.  Plus it would allow me to use the search bar at the top to move to the next card I wanted to, now I have to close that screen and click the next one I want.

I understand that you're trying to simplify the look of the individual card pages, but adding more clicks to see the same information seems like poor design to me.  I mean this would be great on mobile, but on the desktop interface I just don't understand the need for it.  Not trying to be that guy who doesn't like change, I just think this one is a step back. 

Also I still want to be able to sort a deck list by inventory count.  This should bring all the things I still need for a list that I'm brewing to the top instead of taking me to my inventory.  You can sort a deck by casting cost, color or price, so why not by inventory count?  This is counter intuitive.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-05-04 21:43:51)

I really like the changes (at least the ones I use) except one thing - clickig on a price opens pop up window and selects the row on list. Selecting the row in such case is unnecessary and annoying. Can it be removed?

sebi wrote:

I will start by presenting the coolest little feature of this release right away: Press Ctrl-i now, type a card name and hit Enter. When you're done, just hit Esc to close the dialog.

While I love the modal for this feature, I've noticed that if you hit Enter too quickly after typing a card name (that is, before the ajax request for the autocompletion concludes), the resulting dropdown menu still appears on screen... and stays there.

Example: View after hitting Enter, and view after hitting Esc to exit the modal. (you can get rid of it by clicking on it, then exiting the new resulting modal)

So do I understand that there isn't a mode for being able to sell sealed product and that type of stuff?

gumgodMTG wrote:

I understand that you're trying to simplify the look of the individual card pages, but adding more clicks to see the same information seems like poor design to me.

What are you referring to with more clicks?

Zarasiss wrote:

Bring this back please, I wake up to go put in some more JOU cards and find this atrocity. I appreciate the deckbox updates, but changing something that isn't broke seems like poor planning.

Tone down the aggresivity please, let's keep the conversation civilized smile

Changing things that work is not a bad thing regardless of that expression, it's the only way to evolve in a better product. Look at nature tongue

Back to the topic at hand, it seems people liked the quick find input to always be present in the card database area. I will add it back, although pherhaps smaller, on the title bar, would still work, and save some space.

migrena wrote:

I really like the changes (at least the ones I use) except one thing - clickig on a price opens pop up window and selects the row on list. Selecting the row in such case is unnecessary and annoying. Can it be removed?

Yep, will do.

deathlord28 wrote:

Are you aware that the new pop up screen doesn't auto refresh.  Cause it used to be when you changed your wishlist it would then show up right away now you have to refresh it yourself to see if it was added.

Ah, you mean when you are in one of your other sets? Or where are you when you change it from the dialog?