Topic: A tip on reducing delivery confirmation costs with USPS

Something I learned a while ago when shipping with the fabulous folks at the USPS is that they like to gouge you for using their delivery confirmation services.  A simple, flat envelope - one with a single toploader in it, for example - can cost around $5 to ship if you add Delivery Confirmation (DC).  A bubble mailer isn't really any different, for a DC cost perspective. 

However, if you take that same bubble mailer and fold it in half before you seal it the charge for DC is around $0.80.  I don't have the rules memorized but it has something to do with the thickness of the envelope.  If it is something like 3/4" thick then it qualifies for the lower rate.  I've even had a USPS representative put a wedge of cardboard inside my envelope and tape it back up to help me avoid the increased charges.  You could probably do the same if folding wasn't an option.

I hope this helps my fellow traders save money!  Take care.

Re: A tip on reducing delivery confirmation costs with USPS

Thanks! I actually had one post office employee just add the DC to a bubble mailer for .80 cents. The next time I went back they charged me $4.00 for the exact same envelope. I started asking questions and they did say that it was because it was not thick enough. So I guess the first employee was hooking me up and the second followed the rules.

I am going to try the folding trick for my next trade. Speaking of, someone trade with me please!!! tongue

First Class Parcel (which requires 3/4" i think) is like 1.90 or something like that for 2-3 ounces or so, and it's .80 to add DC. So far here in San Antonio TX as long I went in and specifically told them I'd like to send my bubble mailer as First Class Parcel w/ DC, the don't even hesitate in giving it to me.

Hit it off with the post office lady, she makes mine 3/4 inch everytime i see her. What a nice and generous woman. big_smile

Markklol wrote:

Hit it off with the post office lady, she makes mine 3/4 inch everytime i see her. What a nice and generous woman. big_smile

Simply amazing.  It needed to be said and you said it.

Mark, the post office lady makes yours 3/4" of an inch when you hit it with her?  Dude.

cool

For some reason, if I DC a regular envelope it's 5+ bucks, but if it's in a Bubble Mailer, it's $2.80 (including postage in both instances).  I don't know what the hell is going on!

Last edited by blinka (2012-05-24 22:43:17)

Tawnos wrote:

However, if you take that same bubble mailer and fold it in half before you seal it.

Freaking brilliant.  Thank you for this suggestion.  Sometimes the person at the counter gives me the parcel rate, other times they make me ship priority.  This will fix that and cut down on card movement.

I just use Paypal's label payment service and drop off my prepaid mailer in my mailbox in the morning. $1.64, and no one to complain about it.

ikarios wrote:

I just use Paypal's label payment service and drop off my prepaid mailer in my mailbox in the morning. $1.64, and no one to complain about it.

I'll have to investigate this, thanks!  I certainly like the idea of not having to ship within the USPS business hours.

Tawnos wrote:

Something I learned a while ago when shipping with the fabulous folks at the USPS is that they like to gouge you for using their delivery confirmation services.  A simple, flat envelope - one with a single toploader in it, for example - can cost around $5 to ship if you add Delivery Confirmation (DC).  A bubble mailer isn't really any different, for a DC cost perspective. 

However, if you take that same bubble mailer and fold it in half before you seal it the charge for DC is around $0.80.  I don't have the rules memorized but it has something to do with the thickness of the envelope.  If it is something like 3/4" thick then it qualifies for the lower rate.  I've even had a USPS representative put a wedge of cardboard inside my envelope and tape it back up to help me avoid the increased charges.  You could probably do the same if folding wasn't an option.

Tawnos, is the total cost to ship only $0.80 if you do it that way?

(-O'')-O Profile | Trade List | Wish List O-(''O-)
eBay | TCGplayer

Kol wrote:
Tawnos wrote:

Tawnos, is the total cost to ship only $0.80 if you do it that way?

No. That's just the DC.

ikarios wrote:

Same here. I'm pretty sure this is the cheapest mailing option you can get with DC.

Tawnos is there a way we can attach (or Splice onto Arcane) the pulp of this thread to the main thread on shipping...It would be great to be able to direct fresh traders to a single thread

Thanks

Asmodeanreborn is correct, that's just the cost of DC.  The total cost (minus the cost of the bubble mailer) is $2.80. 

morningstar1978 wrote:

Tawnos is there a way we can attach (or Splice onto Arcane) the pulp of this thread to the main thread on shipping...It would be great to be able to direct fresh traders to a single thread

Thanks

Lol @ splice into Arcane.  I'll see what I can do but I'd prefer that a moderator of this forum do that instead.  I'm not sure my moderator status allows me to make changes to individual community forums.  Even if it does I wouldn't feel right sidestepping the authority of the Reddit MTG Trades moderators. 

Thrun?  Other moderators?  Thoughts?

Used this trick today. 2.80! Thanks again.

It looks like I don't have the authority to move this thread so we are at the mercy of the other moderators and/or admins.

For the record, if you trade a lot, you can find bubble mailers at under $0.20 each on eBay.

I believe I paid $15.50 (free shipping) for 100 of the ones I mostly use (though they've gone up slightly in price since). They're ugly, but they work great and they're super-light.

ikarios wrote:

I was looking into this and as far as I can tell you can only print a shipping label for something that you have received a payment on. Am I missing something?

Arioch wrote:
ikarios wrote:

I was looking into this and as far as I can tell you can only print a shipping label for something that you have received a payment on. Am I missing something?

You can create shipping labels using the Multi-order Shipping tool in Paypal. Log-in to Paypal and search for multi-order shipping. Google can take you there, too. FYI: It doesn't work on Chrome yet. You'll need Safari, Firefox, or IE. A pop-up window will open where you can create a new order, enter addresses, then pay and print your label.

It's pretty easy to use. Click around and you'll get the hang of it.

Edit: Almost forgot. There are a bunch of shipping options. I think I usually pick First Class Package and enter 1oz for the weight. The total should be $1.64.

Last edited by scribblenuts (2012-06-06 18:05:25)

scribblenuts wrote:
Arioch wrote:
ikarios wrote:

You can create shipping labels using the Multi-order Shipping tool in Paypal. Log-in to Paypal and search for multi-order shipping. Google can take you there, too. FYI: It doesn't work on Chrome yet. You'll need Safari, Firefox, or IE. A pop-up window will open where you can create a new order, enter addresses, then pay and print your label.

It's pretty easy to use. Click around and you'll get the hang of it.

Edit: Almost forgot. There are a bunch of shipping options. I think I usually pick First Class Package and enter 1oz for the weight. The total should be $1.64.

Found it. Looks awesome, thanks for the tip!