Re: v3.8 Card Pages, Market, Decklist Printing

sebi wrote:
yearofglad wrote:

Makes the site not nearly as usable, opening new tabs and windows and such. Ugh. Bad move.

The feedback on the release where we introduced this was almost 100% negative. Now it seems when we undo it, it is negative again smile.

I know, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just voicing my opinion, but I certainly recognize (as do you) that there are plenty of other voices out there.

We are trying to monetize this website, and the ads you see there are part of our trying to do so. Please understand that the continued development and maintenance of deckbox depends on it being a self-sustaining business, which it is now not, as I am working full time with 0 income, living on my savings as of now. But I do believe in the successful future of deckbox, and I'm trying to make it happen.

I will consider adding an option in your settings so you can disable the ads if they bother people so much.

I'd add on to what someone who posted after me said - don't show me "irrelevant" ads for cards I'm not interested in. That's a definite help - I think there's room on this site for marketing and am happy to "view" it and have it around if it helps pay your bills, but at least make it relevant. (What to do in my case where I have no wishlist? I, helpfully, have no idea.)

In general, and I should've said this in my first post in this thread: keep up the good work. There are always changes I (and other users) won't like, and some we will, but it's nice to see a site that is being actively developed and where feedback is not only considered but encouraged.

Thanks for the site.

I'm not getting the second page of my ``Purchase Opportunities'' to come up.

I'd also like an option to sort that by # of cards available --- I want to do some bulk orders to catch up on various things (getting back into Magic now that my son is playing).

WillAdams wrote:

I'm not getting the second page of my ``Purchase Opportunities'' to come up.

Fixed now.

I'd also like an option to sort that by # of cards available --- I want to do some bulk orders to catch up on various things (getting back into Magic now that my son is playing).

Nice idea, added it to the todo list.

Thanks.

On the matter of showing pending purchases / trades --- my suggestion for this would be to add an additional column in-between the inventory and wishlist columns, label it as ``Pending'' and only show it when there are pending trades / purchases.

I actually view not knowing this as a feature though --- keeps me only conducting one trade / purchase at a time and helps to keep my spending in check.

Can we get the old trade opportunities back? The ability to click on the traders name and have a new tab appear was great. Now I have to go back and reset all the setting ( allowing traders with less then 5 feedback to appear) while with the old page it was easier to find trade partners.

joecat wrote:

Can we get the old trade opportunities back? The ability to click on the traders name and have a new tab appear was great. Now I have to go back and reset all the setting ( allowing traders with less then 5 feedback to appear) while with the old page it was easier to find trade partners.

I had thought it's a bit confusing if many links open in new windows.

But you can get the exact effect by holding CTRL while clicking on a user link, it will open in a new window. Is that not sufficient?

sebi wrote:
joecat wrote:

But you can get the exact effect by holding CTRL while clicking on a user link, it will open in a new window. Is that not sufficient?

Great to know, allows users to use personal preference. That is a great design. Thanks

sebi wrote:

Or Middle-click.

joecat wrote:
sebi wrote:
joecat wrote:

Great to know, allows users to use personal preference. That is a great design. Thanks

Joe, that's not great design, unless you mean it's great design by whoever designed Chrome (or whatever browser you're using).

I'd much prefer it go back to the same way as before. Now, if I forget and click on a user's name after setting up one of the filters on the Trading Opportunities page (or after going to the next page of results on that page), when I go back I have to reset the trading opportunities filters or click over to the next page. Most people (including me, until Kammikaze helpfully said it) don't know that CTRL opens a new tab.

Also, sebi, I don't understand your reasoning, as now when I CTRL + I to get the popup box and search for a card, the result doesn't open in the popup box like it used to. Where does it open? Confusingly, in a new window. It's far more important to me, if you're trying to limit new windows, that trading opportunities open in new windows rather than cards. Seldom do I need to compare cards all at once across many different windows. I frequently want to compare possible trades all at once across many different windows.

Both of these updates really do affect the usability of the site for me and are, in my opinion, definitely steps in the wrong direction.

Also, the "Clear All" doesn't seem to do anything for me on the Trading Opportunities page.

Last edited by yearofglad (2014-10-01 13:13:22)

I tried it a bit, I think you guys are right. Users should open in a new window from trading opportunities, will change it back for that page.

Both of these updates really do affect the usability of the site for me and are, in my opinion, definitely steps in the wrong direction.

It really does not help if you just keep repeating things. You said that before, we got it smile

Also, the "Clear All" doesn't seem to do anything for me on the Trading Opportunities page.

Will fix.

NullParameter wrote:
sebi wrote:

Card Pages

In an earlier controversial release, we have changed the card pages to work as dialogs (except on small screens). This has been received not so well, and it is time now for us to admit that the idea has not worked. It was not intuitive nor too usable, and we can do better.

We have now re-structured the card pages to include most of the information that was before split into tabs, in what we think is a much better layout. Awaiting your feedback, as always.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm actually sad to see this go.  I agree that the tabs weren't ideal, but the ability to quickly search and then add something to my inventory/tradelist/wishlist right there, inline from any page was very useful, and I found myself using it all of the time.

Either way, I understand and definitely appreciate all of the improvements in general.  This site is amazing!

I agree with that, maybe you can make a setting to switch between those two interfaces. I came to this site when the new card pages were there and maybe not perfect, but far better than the old pages. Now clicking on 100s of cards from some set and adding them to my wishlist is way too painful to even try that. sad Not to mention that details about different editions of card that I own (and btw it's the most important info to me) are now on left side, stripped down from their average price.

knedle wrote:

I agree with that, maybe you can make a setting to switch between those two interfaces. I came to this site when the new card pages were there and maybe not perfect, but far better than the old pages. Now clicking on 100s of cards from some set and adding them to my wishlist is way too painful to even try that. sad Not to mention that details about different editions of card that I own (and btw it's the most important info to me) are now on left side, stripped down from their average price.

The first thing I do when you import a new set is to go through and add one of everything in foil to my wishlist.  Thinking about it, the new card page system means I would end up opening a few hundred tabs to do this.  I guess that's one way to make sure I hit everything, but would probably be some server load for you.

sebi wrote:

some overdue CSV performance changes so people with very large inventories can export them

Really looking forward to this, I haven't been able to export my inventory for a few weeks.  Thanks!

After using this new interface for a few days I have to say one thing I find missing is the card prices on the left of the card page where it lists your inventory and wish list.  Maybe it wouldn't quite fit, but it seems like it should be here as different versions of a card will have varied pricing.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-10-03 12:23:16)

Post's attachments

lightning.JPG 43.27 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Exporting inventory to CSV seems to be broken. I can open the dialog, and select some extra fields, but when I click Export the page loads for some time and then does nothing (including no warning about popups or downloads that might hide the result). I'm using firefox. I'll try with Chrome at home tonight. Exporting decks does work, it's just inventory that fails. Tradelist works too for me, but I have an empty trade list.

On an unrelated note (I just happened to have my browser console open), loading any page on the forums shows a "NetworkError: 404 Not Found - https://deckbox.org/javascripts/tooltip.js".

CSV export has some problems, I'm currently rewriting it. Should be available again later this week.

sebi wrote:

CSV export has some problems, I'm currently rewriting it. Should be available again later this week.

Well I came here to check out this exact problem. Glad you're working on this one as I'd like to get a CSV of my collection smile