Topic: v3.8 Card Pages, Market, Decklist Printing

Card Pages

In an earlier controversial release, we have changed the card pages to work as dialogs (except on small screens). This has been received not so well, and it is time now for us to admit that the idea has not worked. It was not intuitive nor too usable, and we can do better.

We have now re-structured the card pages to include most of the information that was before split into tabs, in what we think is a much better layout. Awaiting your feedback, as always.

Market

We added a new Market section, to contain the Purchase Opportunities, Seller listings and some statistics, as well as a landing page for Khans, which is just released. The structure and information there is subject to change, this is a first version. Let us know what you'd like to see more regarding buying & selling cards, from both the perspective of a buyer, as well as a seller.

http://deckbox.org/market

Decklists

Our old "Print" functionality in the Tools menu of decks was simple and insufficient, but there are tools which are much cooler. One of them is http://decklist.org , created by April (http://deckbox.org/users/marumari), which looks & works great!

We have now added an option in the Tools menu of your decks to export such a deck to the decklist service, where you can easily print it for the next event.

Upcoming this week

Still in the works and due to be released this week are 2 important fixes: features for removing cards from tradelists when accepting trades so that you do not accidentally re-trade or sell them, and some overdue CSV performance changes so people with very large inventories can export them. Flags re-work that we mentioned in v3.7 is also coming with it.

Also imported the Khans Prerelease Promos: https://deckbox.org/editions/309-prerel … -of-tarkir . No images though, couldn't find any available. If anyone knows of some, let us know.

Last edited by sebi (2014-09-29 13:32:06)

Re: v3.8 Card Pages, Market, Decklist Printing

sebi wrote:

Upcoming this week

Still in the works and due to be released this week are 2 important fixes: features for removing cards from tradelists when accepting trades so that you do not accidentally re-trade or sell them,

I am very much looking forward to this smile

Sebi, any chance an option to display or print a decklist as just text can be added back? the new print thing is really cool, no doubt, but I did like the old display just to quickly copy/paste a decklist.

jassi007 wrote:

Sebi, any chance an option to display or print a decklist as just text can be added back? the new print thing is really cool, no doubt, but I did like the old display just to quickly copy/paste a decklist.

The old one is still there.

I think having the Purchase Opportunities being the default tab on Marketplace would be better the having the "Popular cards" tab show up first. Most people will want to buy the cards they need, not the popular sellers. Just a thought.

sebi wrote:

Decklists

Our old "Print" functionality in the Tools menu of decks was simple and insufficient, but there are tools which are much cooler. One of them is http://decklist.org , created by April (http://deckbox.org/users/marumari), which looks & works great!

We have now added an option in the Tools menu of your decks to export such a deck to the decklist service, where you can easily print it for the next event.

Awesome feature/website!
Will definitely use this!

On the card details page, can we show by default our "Trades" as well? I'd like to get all of the info that's in the pop-up dialog into a single view -- we're almost there, but it seems like just the trades info is missing. Thanks!

I'm not sure what the logic is behind what cards/sellers are being promoted on the front page. Like, it'll pitch a card to me from someone, then when I click on the card link there are a bunch of cheaper copies listed. That seems pretty silly.

rfioren wrote:

On the card details page, can we show by default our "Trades" as well? I'd like to get all of the info that's in the pop-up dialog into a single view -- we're almost there, but it seems like just the trades info is missing. Thanks!

Will do!

9700377 wrote:

Like, it'll pitch a card to me from someone, then when I click on the card link there are a bunch of cheaper copies listed. That seems pretty silly.

This sounds like a bug, you should only see the cheapest one being pitched. Will check it out, thank you for reporting. Do you remember which card it was by any chance?

rfioren wrote:

By the way, I want to make the collection controls in place editable at some point soon too, so you don't have to open the panel if you want to edit them. I need to try out some things first....

sebi wrote:
9700377 wrote:

Like, it'll pitch a card to me from someone, then when I click on the card link there are a bunch of cheaper copies listed. That seems pretty silly.

This sounds like a bug, you should only see the cheapest one being pitched. Will check it out, thank you for reporting. Do you remember which card it was by any chance?

I've seen it on multiple cards. Like, right now it's showing adventuresON's copy of Overgrown Tomb for $9.49. Well, let's check out the Overgrown Tomb page:

https://deckbox.org/mtg/Overgrown%20Tomb?printing=20609

xmitter has a copy for $9. adventuresON has an LP copy for $8.49 as well. I can understand excluding the copy from the German shipper or the LP copy, but why pitch me the $9.49 copy? Okay, if you add in shipping they're tied... but wait, if I refresh now it's offering me Ryan Clark's copy of Steam Vents:

https://deckbox.org/mtg/Steam%20Vents?printing=20627

$8.33 + $5.05 (!!) < $9.09 + $1.94

So I'm not sure what's going on here - clearing the recommendations aren't factoring in shipping costs. Best guess is that the Overgrown Tomb that isn't explicitly being flagged as English (adventureON's copy) is not being treated as identical to the one that is when it comes to generating a recommendation.

[Edit]

Okay, now it's recommending me Stomping Grounds from boosterdraft at $8. But not only is boosterdraft an international seller, but Gund Wehsling is also selling a copy at $6.81. Never mind that the shipping is insane on it, that didn't seem to factor in with Steam Vents..

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-09-29 14:54:00)

Yep, found the issue, will fix. Thank you.

Later Edit: Fixed!

Last edited by sebi (2014-09-29 15:39:45)

rfioren wrote:

Added.

sebi wrote:
jassi007 wrote:

The old one is still there.

thanks, missed it somehow this morning. Monday!

sebi wrote:

Card Pages

In an earlier controversial release, we have changed the card pages to work as dialogs (except on small screens). This has been received not so well, and it is time now for us to admit that the idea has not worked. It was not intuitive nor too usable, and we can do better.

We have now re-structured the card pages to include most of the information that was before split into tabs, in what we think is a much better layout. Awaiting your feedback, as always.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm actually sad to see this go.  I agree that the tabs weren't ideal, but the ability to quickly search and then add something to my inventory/tradelist/wishlist right there, inline from any page was very useful, and I found myself using it all of the time.

Either way, I understand and definitely appreciate all of the improvements in general.  This site is amazing!

NullParameter wrote:

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm actually sad to see this go.

I too am a little sad to see the whiteboxes (I think that's what they're called. Not into web dev) go since 95% of my activity on here is on a desktop, but for the 5% that's on mobile this is a really good change.

sebi wrote:

By the way, I want to make the collection controls in place editable at some point soon too, so you don't have to open the panel if you want to edit them. I need to try out some things first....

When this happens I will be 100% happy again.

sebi wrote:

Upcoming this week

Still in the works and due to be released this week are 2 important fixes: features for removing cards from tradelists when accepting trades so that you do not accidentally re-trade or sell them, and some overdue CSV performance changes so people with very large inventories can export them. Flags re-work that we mentioned in v3.7 is also coming with it.

I am glad to hear about both of these fixes! I can’t count the times that i have traded the same card twice (or three times) and had to scramble to find one locally. Can you also add the functionality on the incoming side? Or at least and option to remove them? i also find myself  trading for multiple copies of the same card even if I don’t need them. Yes I know I could be more vigilant in looking over the trades, but when I have 10-20 trades going on simultaneously and some of them are for 300+ cards, it gets tedious. I also notice that if I offer a trade where the card is not in my inventory it shows red in the trade to let me know I am potentially trading something I don't have (which is awesome) however there is no such highlight on the incoming side when I am trading for something not on my wishlist. Any chance of that happening?

As a side note, is there anything in the works about updating "strict matching" so that it is actually strict? Right now it shows me all conditions instead of the condition I am looking for. It also shows foils when I am looking for non-foils.

I too love this site and preach it's awesomeness to everyone I trade with locally.

Last edited by wonderdog79 (2014-09-29 16:57:40)

So glad to hear about all the changes that were made!

Thanks for the great updates, and thanks for working with me to make tournament registration easier for everyone.  smile

Kammikaze wrote:
NullParameter wrote:

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm actually sad to see this go.

I too am a little sad to see the whiteboxes (I think that's what they're called. Not into web dev) go since 95% of my activity on here is on a desktop, but for the 5% that's on mobile this is a really good change. .

Me too. Makes the site not nearly as usable, opening new tabs and windows and such. Ugh. Bad move.

I never visit the site on a mobile device, though, so maybe it's just me. Too bad that desktop utility and ease is being sacrificed for mobile users.

Also don't like the site pitching cards to me at all, regardless of the price. I have 0 cards on my wishlist, so maybe it's just pitching me random cards? But I don't want any of them and I don't like the selling pitch box even if I WAS in the market for cards.

Both of these changes seem like steps backwards.

yearofglad wrote:

Makes the site not nearly as usable, opening new tabs and windows and such. Ugh. Bad move.

The feedback on the release where we introduced this was almost 100% negative. Now it seems when we undo it, it is negative again smile.

Also don't like the site pitching cards to me at all, regardless of the price. I have 0 cards on my wishlist, so maybe it's just pitching me random cards? But I don't want any of them and I don't like the selling pitch box even if I WAS in the market for cards.

We are trying to monetize this website, and the ads you see there are part of our trying to do so. Please understand that the continued development and maintenance of deckbox depends on it being a self-sustaining business, which it is now not, as I am working full time with 0 income, living on my savings as of now. But I do believe in the successful future of deckbox, and I'm trying to make it happen.

I will consider adding an option in your settings so you can disable the ads if they bother people so much.

sebi wrote:

The feedback on the release where we introduced this was almost 100% negative. Now it seems when we undo it, it is negative again smile.

The loudest group isn't always the majority. wink  The rest of us just didn't have much to complain about.

sebi wrote:
yearofglad wrote:

Makes the site not nearly as usable, opening new tabs and windows and such. Ugh. Bad move.

We are trying to monetize this website, and the ads you see there are part of our trying to do so. Please understand that the continued development and maintenance of deckbox depends on it being a self-sustaining business, which it is now not, as I am working full time with 0 income, living on my savings as of now. But I do believe in the successful future of deckbox, and I'm trying to make it happen.

I will consider adding an option in your settings so you can disable the ads if they bother people so much.

I know I always voice my opinion, but I like the changes.  Good improvements come by trying new things and getting feedback.  There will always be those who don't like it though. 

As far as the ads go, I don't mind them but they should be more targeted.  You have a lot of information about what we want, if you can show me cards from my wishlist then you might have better success selling cards.  I saw a temple of whatever come up (a scry land) and I have zero interest in any scry lands.  Also you should show the shipping price.  I'm often clicking on these things to see the price is actually $2-3 different than what is shown due to shipping costs.  I do check deckbox first when buying cards, but I mostly just trade.  The purchases I have made from the site have went very smooth though. 

I'd also like to see a visual spoiler mode when looking at a set.  I'm still learning everything from Khans and I'm a very visual person, being able to see the set as a whole laid out as spoilers would allow me to quickly pick the cards I might want to wishlist.   Basically on this page where it says "admin" at the top right (which probably doesn't need to be visible to me) I'd like to see a button to view it as a visual spoiler instead.  I realize I can do it this way but if I'm already looking at the set, why not give that option there as well?  Obviously this is not a priority, just something I was thinking about.

The loudest group isn't always the majority. wink  The rest of us just didn't have much to complain about.

Good point smile

gumgodMTG wrote:

I saw a temple of whatever come up (a scry land) and I have zero interest in any scry lands.  Also you should show the shipping price.

Yep, both good points, will do.

it says "admin" at the top right (which probably doesn't need to be visible to me)

Correct smile

I'd like to see a button to view it as a visual spoiler instead.  I realize I can do it this way but if I'm already looking at the set, why not give that option there as well?  Obviously this is not a priority, just something I was thinking about.

True, good idea. I do want to do much more with the set listing, also provide it as a checklist in inventories, and also the spoiler view you mentioned. Will think about it.