Topic: Prerelease

So I went to a midnight prerelease for 2013, pulled an Akroma's Memorial in my first 6 and went on to build this deck http://deckbox.org/sets/196075, not using the memorial because it's way too expensive and went on to lose one match, this makes me want to build a Pauper deck based on BG in 2103, the deck will be posted soon

My win cards were Tormented Soul, Dark Favor, and Rancor, the Deadly Recluses and the Vampire Nighthawk helped but they were overestimated, swinging for 4 unblockable every turn is killer, especially when I Bond Beetle it or use a Titanic Growth

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-07-07 09:24:47)

Re: Prerelease

Very nice.  Plan to use the Memorial in any decks?  And Rancor + Nighthawk would be a very nice combo.

I'll be going to a Pre-release in ~4 hours, so I'll be back later tonight to post my results as well.
I drafted BG in literally every AVR draft (probably because everybody else was trying to do some type of Human and/or Angel build), and I did relatively well every time.  So, I'm definitely open to doing the same thing again, but I'm thinking about trying to go in a different direction; I guess it all depends upon what I pull.  Never done a Pre-release before, or Sealed, so wish me luck!

I'm using the Memorial in a Commander deck that's been wanting it for quite a while smile and I'm actually off to my second prerelease, hopefully it goes as well as the last one! Good luck to you!

Prerelease #2 deck http://deckbox.org/sets/196235, I would've won 3 matches if I wasn't a complete idiot. I didn't sideboard in my Archaeomancers until after match 2 so I lost the second match by a tiny margin, of course Jace coming out was GG every single time, but he didn't come out until my 3rd match sad

Here's my design for the Pauper deck I mentioned http://deckbox.org/sets/196242, (Rancor is uncommon in M13 but since it has been printed as a common in the past it's legal)

The main idea is to pump the unblockables with enchantments, bond beetles, and titanic growths while protectinng myself with the deathtouchers possibly comboed with prey upon and of course Murder, one of my new favorite cards in magic of all time smile Thoughts? Right now it's M13 but I'm more than happy to go into Innistrad block as well, Ambush Viper maybe?

So yeah, I got thoroughly trounced.  I didn't get any good pulls at all really.  Got a Nefarox and a Rancor, but green and black were, by far, my weakest colors.  Didn't really get much removal, except in red in the form of burn spells, and I pulled four Archaeomancers, so I went UR.  Ended up essentially going 1-3, but the one win was more through luck.  My record technically was 2-2, because one guy was leaving so he gave me the win smile  But that was nowhere near enough to bring me into the Top 8, especially when there were two 4-0 people.

I like the set in general, from what I've seen, and I had a lot of fun playing and trading, but I just got no great pulls to build a deck around.  Didn't even have a Battle of Wits or Door to Nothingness to play a crazy deck. smile

I was kinda mad at my rares, I did get a Battle of Wits along with 3 dual lands, and my mythic was too slow for me to use, I could only use Yeva and she never even came out, lol

I was mad at my rares until the 2 packs given out to everyone who participated.  I played UW and went 2-3 (ugh).  Then after all was said and done, I pulled an Ajani... could've used that a few hours ago, but, y'know.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

I was mad at my rares until the 2 packs given out to everyone who participated.  I played UW and went 2-3 (ugh).  Then after all was said and done, I pulled an Ajani... could've used that a few hours ago, but, y'know.

I'm very jealous of you pulling an Ajani but I'm in a similar boat as far as pulling too late, I got a sublime archangel in my prize packs sad and I could've gone with white exalted, I traded it at the event since I have no desire to have one, lol, If you ever decide you don't want that Ajani let me know wink

Count me as part of the jealous group as well for pulling Ajani, or any good rares actually.  Glad you guys got some good luck in the end anyway.  I'm hoping for something better next week at the FNM draft and in the Fat Pack that I have ordered.

imsully2 wrote:

Here's my design for the Pauper deck I mentioned http://deckbox.org/sets/196242, (Rancor is uncommon in M13 but since it has been printed as a common in the past it's legal)

The main idea is to pump the unblockables with enchantments, bond beetles, and titanic growths while protectinng myself with the deathtouchers possibly comboed with prey upon and of course Murder, one of my new favorite cards in magic of all time smile Thoughts? Right now it's M13 but I'm more than happy to go into Innistrad block as well, Ambush Viper maybe?

I'm happy to discuss M13 sweet pulls and prerelease decks, but any thoughts on this one? I think it's decent for a Pauper deck but I'd love other thoughts

Looks simple enough... so the idea is just to deathtouch EVERYTHING and keep on swingin?  Simple, but effective.  I can see where you'll be able to exert some control over the board, but man, it's going to take a while to kill someone.  I'd also suggest maybe putting 2x Dark Favor and 2x Disentomb into the main deck rather than just in the sideboard.  The Favors will help the Souls actually take the opponent out a LOT faster.  Mark of the Vampire (of course it's M13 so no picture) could also help, as your Souls would be 3/3s, but more importantly, with lifelink.

Totally off track from this, but considering the Tormented Souls in there and the Sublime Archangel, you could do some serious exalted damage.  I don't know if you saw a lot of that at your releases, but I believe I saw all but one person using it like crazy (I didn't pull any Tormented Souls... so no black in my weak constructed deck) sad .

You're right about the archangel idea for sure especially since i'm slowly designing an exalted deck but I usually start with cheaper cards and work my way up [Hence the cathedral of war smile] At my release I faced a few exalted decks but only one beat me and I never faced an archangel, but a Cathedral of War I pulled was really effective by its self.

I agree about the dark favor but I'm torn about what to cut, the bladed pinions look amazing on paper, kill anything in the air or on the ground and at no cost to me if they don't have first/double strike and if they do I lose a 1-2 drop? I'm thinking I should drop Titanic Growth for the favors tho, I doubt that extra 1 damage will count much

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-07-09 02:09:27)