Topic: v4.2.1: More email notification preferences, Modern Masters Pricing

Hello,

A small update today, I have added a couple of preferences to the email notifications settings.

For those users that are visiting deckbox often, you  can now not receive any emails about trades if you so desire. Separately, users that are members of communities and are not interested in events notifications can also disable them completely. You can find both options on the Edit Profile page on the bottom right.

Additionally, we now have unsubscribe links directly in the email footers, for easier access to these options.

Modern Masters

Pricing information was missing for Modern Masters 2015 cards, now it should be available for all cards. I'm also aware that pricing information for some tokens is bugged, and looking into it still.

Other options

There is a new option for those users of the auto-mark-for-trade feature, and keeping track of cards in built decks.

Some of you have duplicates for cards that you use in multiple decks, and you do not trade those duplicates away. You can now specify this by unchecking an option on the Edit Profile page. Subsequently, the cards in built decks count that we show in your collection will count those duplicates.

Last edited by sebi (2015-06-01 09:01:36)

Re: v4.2.1: More email notification preferences, Modern Masters Pricing

Just an FYI: Some MM foils still not pricing.

Foil Kiki-Jiki
Foil Cryptic Command
Have no prices.

Rhin0 wrote:

Foil Kiki-Jiki
Foil Cryptic Command
Have no prices.

Fixed now.

The MM foils without pricing issue does not appear to be fixed. Most of my MM2015 foils have no pricing (All Suns' Dawn, Artisan of Kozilek, Orzhov Basilica, Spellskite, Spitebellows, Surrakar Spellblade, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre).

People need to realize that the value that Deckbox shows is (I'm pretty sure) heavily weighted toward the prices of copies that people currently have listed for sale. If no one has any copies of that card listed for sale then DB doesn't know what price to give it. Please stop asking Sebi to manually set prices for every copy of every single card that's ever been printed. It's mostly a waste of his time which would be better spent on features for the site. /endrant

Reporting card prices that are obviously significantly off, like the Theros tokens recently, is a good thing to do as that generally points to a bug or a DB user (intentionally or not) skewing the numbers with their prices.

Kammikaze wrote:

Please stop asking Sebi to manually set prices for every copy of every single card that's ever been printed.

With the seller pricing tools severely limited it's important that Deckbox has a price for each card so that a seller can price all their cards to a % of the Deckbox price (the only viable way to price a large number of cards).

Kammikaze wrote:

... the value that Deckbox shows is (I'm pretty sure) heavily weighted toward the prices of copies that people currently have listed for sale. If no one has any copies of that card listed for sale then DB doesn't know what price to give it.

If there's no price because there's no Deckbox sellers then obviously the algorithm doesn't use external sources (and is not weighted).

The bottom line is that the Deckbox pricing algorithm has always been subpar and the promised transparency has never come.

I haven't trusted card prices here since Sebi started the market and tcgplayer cut him off, and I strongly doubt that I ever will be able to. It sucks, because I joined up here so that I could manage my inventory and have a document available in case of insurance claim. I don't know how much Sebi is clearing from the market, but I doubt that it was enough to allow him to quit his job and work on the site full-time, as the premium level memberships started fairly soon after the market. I do think that if there's a card that doesn't have a price on here, that he should be setting it manually, as otherwise, it is a disservice to those who are paying members of the site.

I would also like to be able to view other market prices. Both for I curiosity and for insurance reasons.

I would also like to be able to view other market prices. Both for I curiosity and for insurance reasons.

The following MM2015 Foils do not show prices:

Blinkmoth Nexus
Boros Garrison
Dispatch
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Surgical Extraction
Wildfire

Thank you for reporting the issues you find. Fixed the reported foil pricing.

d72B wrote:

The bottom line is that the Deckbox pricing algorithm has always been subpar and the promised transparency has never come.

I think any kind of transparency will encourage people to manipulate pricing. It's already happening and I have to keep an eye on things, even when people do not know how prices are calculated. I am strongly leaning in favor of not disclosing any information on the calculation, I am not sure that it will have any benefits, and I am pretty sure it will have many downsides.

Sorry if you find the pricing subpar, I am constantly trying to make it better, and I will be looking to get more stores involved in selling which will further stabilize pricing.

Back when we used tcgplayer there were still many, many reports and emails I got that pricing is bad on some cards, and missing on many others. It was constant work of synchronizing the price import service too. We also had no control over them and I had to constantly apologize and tell people "i am sorry we are getting them from tcgplayer".

There is a new option for those users of the auto-mark-for-trade feature, and keeping track of cards in built decks.

Some of you have duplicates for cards that you use in multiple decks, and you do not trade those duplicates away. You can now specify this by unchecking an option on the Edit Profile page. Subsequently, the cards in built decks count that we show in your collection will count those duplicates.

sebi wrote:

I think any kind of transparency will encourage people to manipulate pricing.

I agree that we don't need to know the formula. We only want to know because it needs improvement and we want to help. That being said, without knowing how it works... IMO the formula should have a majority weighting towards completed sales (as opposed to current prices) and should weigh the sources (e.g. eBay, Deckbox) by number of sales completed (so while the Deckbox Marketplace is small it will have a small impact on the price). These two factors would make it more resilient to manipulation from Deckbox sellers.

Other concerns:
- Can you update prices more than once per day? Doing this often, but at irregular intervals should help prevent manipulation.
- With the current algorithm if I update my prices to 90% of the Deckbox price once per day will that not continuously drive prices down? My suggestions above will help vs this, but any hope for dynamic pricing in the future?

sebi wrote:

I will be looking to get more stores involved in selling which will further stabilize pricing.

How do stores price their cards on Deckbox? Do they enter each card price individually (for hundreds of thousands) or do they have a better interface than the rest of us? If regular Deckbox sellers had better tools then they would have better prices and that would feed back into the Deckbox price.

sebi wrote:

Back when we used tcgplayer there were still many, many reports and emails I got that pricing is bad on some cards, and missing on many others.

Yes, there will always be corrections needed so the process of alerting you to an incorrect price should be built-in functionality. Put a button on the card page. When someone clicks it, add the card to the price review queue. The more users that click it, the higher in the queue it goes.

MM2015 Dark Confidant foil doesn't have a price too

MM2015 Air servant foil, ashenmoor gouger foil, bloodshot trainee foil, spikeshot elder foil and dark confidant foil don't show prices.

d72B wrote:

Can you update prices more than once per day? Doing this often, but at irregular intervals should help prevent manipulation.

Yep, I will be looking into updating the prices faster. One other issue is we cannot update them too often from external sources like Amazon, they have some throughput limits for requests, and we have 50.000 printings between foils and normals that we need information on.

With the current algorithm if I update my prices to 90% of the Deckbox price once per day will that not continuously drive prices down? My suggestions above will help vs this, but any hope for dynamic pricing in the future?

How do stores price their cards on Deckbox?

I'll answer both in one: external big stores have their own external information on stocks and pricing. We only have adventureson [1] as partner at the moment but I am looking into extending that. As they have their own pricing mechanisms and larger stocks they are stabilizing the prices, and they are not continuously driven down. We fetch that information on stocks and pricing from an API the store provides.

[1] https://deckbox.org/users/adventuresON

If regular Deckbox sellers had better tools then they would have better prices and that would feed back into the Deckbox price.

Agreed. Suggestions welcome on what would help sellers to easier price inventories.

Put a button on the card page. When someone clicks it, add the card to the price review queue. The more users that click it, the higher in the queue it goes.

Great idea! Wrote it down.

Thank you bonobig, adjusted some more foil MM prices.

sebi wrote:

Agreed. Suggestions welcome on what would help sellers to easier price inventories.

See this post

Also see Support Case # 143

Yep, was reviewing those recently actually. Out of them, a few are on my list for next release: minimum order size, card sorting in orders & trades, order index page improvements, and the tracking number missing. Coming soon!

As a relatively new user to deckbox, and user of 2 other trading sites, gotta say that the interface and features are still among the best. Feedback and criticisms aside, I'll just take a moment to say keep up the good work! And I do indeed look forward to developments, re: pricing.

d72B wrote:

subpar

A little gratitude wouldn't be unheard of unless you can do better.

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

sebi wrote:

Suggestions welcome on what would help sellers to easier price inventories.

I think Sebi may be sick of me suggesting this but I thought I'd post my idea here so other users can expand on it: Mass editing. The Mass Price Cards (Price All under the Tools option) was added a while ago after some discussion but it is not as extensive as I had hoped. It would be better for the user to just use the trade page to mass edit prices instead of a little pop up window.

In order for mass editing to be effective, card condition and price range (user input) filters need to be added. Allow us to use the current search and filter system to get the group of cards that we want to price. Then allow us to apply an absolute number or percentage of Deckbox's value to that group of cards.

For example, I would be able to filter my cards to show all the NM rares I have - between whichever value range I wish - and mass price them at 90% of Deckbox's value. I would then be able to do that for the LP rares and price them at 80%, MP at 70%, etc. I could even choose to apply this for the modern rares and apply a different percentage to standard rares.

Using the current filtering system - with the addition of the suggested filters - to mass edit cards would allow each user to use the tool to apply price percentages (or absolute number) to whichever filter group they wish. Foils, promos, any rarities, editions, conditions, etc.

Noticed missing price on two MM15 foils Primeval Titan and Cranial Plating.

Fixed Primeval Titan & Cranial Plating.

@AsymptomaticPyrexia, agreed, I have postponed this too long now, need to get to it for next release. The mass pricing tool should indeed apply to currently used filters.