Topic: [Modern Moderate Competitive] Blood Bond Tokens

http://deckbox.org/sets/884088

The goal of this deck is to get Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond on the board at the same time and create an infinite loop of life gain that kills your opponent. Until that happens you generate white tokens with Lingering Souls, Raise the Alarm, and Spectral Procession. You can then sac these white tokens to Teysa, Orzhov Scion to exile your opponents creatures.

Sorin, Lord of Innistrad gives you some tokens and can make your tokens a threat all by themselves.

As part of the delaying tactic I plan to use Thoughtseize and Castigate for hand disruption.

Disciple of Griselbrand is the sac outlet to start the life gain and set the ball rolling.

I don't have any idea for a side board and would love some advice there.

I know there are better lands available, but I would like to keep this kind of on a budget.  The expensive cards in the deck are ones I already have.

I think this seems like a fun interesting deck. I would welcome any and all input. Thanks for looking.

Re: [Modern Moderate Competitive] Blood Bond Tokens

I am no judge, however, if you took this deck to a tournament and hit this combo the match results in a loss because you can not stop the combo from happening and any infinite loop (according to my understanding that is unstoppable) results in a loss for the person to trigger it. That is just my understanding of the rules. I could be wrong. It is definitely a fun casual Idea.

davidherlein wrote:

the match results in a loss

This is incorrect. Triggering the loop would result in a win for you. Two cases (source):

1) You gain life. Sanguine Bond triggers, resolves and causes your opponent to lose that much life.
2) Your opponent lost life. Exquisite Blood triggers and you gain that much life.
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2.

or

1) Your opponent lost life. Exquisite Blood triggers and you gain that much life
3) You gained life. Sanguine Bond triggers and your opponent loses that much life
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2.

After each triggered ability resolves state-based effects are checked, including checking if a player has 0 or less life. If at that point a player does have 0 or less life the game is over, whether or not there is anything on the stack.

Also: If an infinite loop occurs that doesn't end the game outright, the game ends in a draw. (source

716.4. If a loop contains only mandatory actions, the game is a draw. (See rules 104.4b and 104.4f.)

Last edited by Kammikaze (2015-12-03 14:13:44)

davidherlein wrote:

I am no judge, however, if you took this deck to a tournament and hit this combo the match results in a loss because you can not stop the combo from happening and any infinite loop (according to my understanding that is unstoppable) results in a loss for the person to trigger it. That is just my understanding of the rules. I could be wrong. It is definitely a fun casual Idea.

This is incorrect. Per the rules:

118.6. If a player has 0 or less life, that player loses the game as a state-based action. See rule 704.

With this being the relevant rule:
704.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 116, “Timing and Priority”), the game checks for
any of the listed conditions for state-based actions, then performs all applicable state-based actions
simultaneously as a single event. If any state-based actions are performed as a result of a check, the
check is repeated; otherwise all triggered abilities that are waiting to be put on the stack are put on
the stack, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based actions have been performed as the
result of a check and no triggered abilities are waiting to be put on the stack, the appropriate player
gets priority. This process also occurs during the cleanup step (see rule 514), except that if no statebased
actions are performed as the result of the step’s first check and no triggered abilities are
waiting to be put on the stack, then no player gets priority and the step ends.

So basically, anytime he gets a trigger, game checks life. If opponent has 0 life, the game ends.

Thanks for clarifying.

I've put together an alternate versions.

http://deckbox.org/sets/1262250

Still looking for any recommendations of changes.

Thanks!

Actually, the new card that was spoiled yesterday would fit perfectly in this deck! Link Probably as a replacement for Teysa.

Edit: I like the second list better. BW Tokens/Soul Sisters seems like it could actually be modern playable.

Last edited by Kammikaze (2015-12-03 14:52:24)

Thank you guys for clarifying that.