Topic: INVINCIBILITY LOOPHOLE???

Lol I figured writing in all caps would attract attention, because I really need a clear answer on this. I may have found a weird loop hole with the two cards: Ali from Cairo, and lich, being played at the same time.
Basically, each changes your life totals differently.

Lich keeps your life total at zero. If you gain X life later on, draw X cards. If you are dealt X  damage, sacrifice X permanents.

Ali from Cairos' ability is that damage that reduce you to less than one, reduces you to one instead. All further damage is prevented.

What I am wondering, is if both are played at the same time, and I am dealt one point of damage for example, what would happen? If Ali prevents all damage that bring me to less than one life, then it would be prevented because I am already at 0...but the weird thing is, his effect brings me back to one life. Would that mean this type of life change would count as gaining life, therefore I  draw because of lichs effect?  If that's true, then what would my life total actualy become? I am assuming it could be two things.
The first idea, the total becomes one during the breif moment of attack/ damage so, I'd draw, and it would go back to zero. then again I may have to sacrifice one permenent if this changing to zero again counts as "damage".. Idk if that counts as life gain or loss tho, because my life total is being set.
Ok, lol. The second idea is that all damage is prevented (as I am at zero already), and the only thing that would happen is bypassing lichs' negetive effects, and only drawing cards when I gain life.
Omg srry that was so long. smile
But yeah I'm hoping I found some weird way around lichs rules and essentially stay alive as long as both Ali and lich are unharmed. big_smile I would be invincible until one or both is destroyed .

Last edited by Dreadwhite509 (2012-07-27 07:04:38)

Re: INVINCIBILITY LOOPHOLE???

I could very well be wrong but to me it seems that since your life total wouldn't be decreasing Ali from Cairo's ability wouldn't trigger at all since the damage isn't reducing your life below 1, the Lich is keeping it at zero therefore no fun interaction would happen here, however Elderscale Wurm might have an interaction as it enters the battlefield, i'm far from sure tho

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-07-27 13:10:47)

To imsully2
Interesting. So basically only lich would work to change life totals? Im thinking tho since Ali prevents damage regardless, I wouldn't have to sacrifice perminents smile at least that what I hope happends, because if that's the case it's an anomaly in complicated rules that allows one to stay alive unless lich is destroyed.

Thnks smile

From what I've seen, I think he's absolutely right that Ali only prevents damage if your life is 1 or greater. So, if it's 0 or negative and you take damage, he does nothing.

With the Elderscale, I'm not sure... It seems like even if it did end up setting life to 7, that it might not count for the card drawing since it's directly setting it and, technically, you aren't gaining 7 life. hmm

To mmjuno
Lol true, honestly I'm not sure so I figured I'd ask others smile.  It was just really weird wording on Ali that gave me the idea smile
What I'm wondering tho, is maybe this invinceablity type thing can be achieved with lichs tomb.  All lichs tomb does is say I can't loos the game of I have zero or less life, but I do, loose X life I have to sacrifice X perminents. This one tho doesn't bring me down to zero tho, so maybe nnnoooww it could be done with Ali who keeps me at 1. Sadly I won't draw cards for life gain hmm lol interesting concept I think.
Or am I just not accomplishing anything with that ?

This combo seems pretty convoluted to me, isn't it easier to use Phyrexian Unlife and Melira, Sylvok Outcast?

To imsully2,
Yes, that infect combo thingy is way more difinitive. And i agree with the fact that lich and Ali together  are confusing/ convoluted, but I feel it makes it interesting conversation. I'd always play mtg casually with friends, but now I'm going to tournaments and such where weird rules like this need answers for, more experienced competitive participants.
I only called it a loophole, because of the uncertainty regarding ones life. I feel I gained much wisdom on this.:)

According to Gatherer, Ali from Cairo doesn't prevent the damage from occurring, it just reduces the life loss.  So you would still have to sacrifice the cards.  Also, Lich only alters your life total when it comes into play, and Ali's ability is a replacement effect, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't your life total become 1 if you took damage?  It would have no functional bearing on, well, anything, but if a Platinum Angel was in play and Lich were to be Disenchanted or something, you wouldn't have to worry about the Angel getting bounced afterward and having 0 life.

What you would need to combine with Lich to get the effect you desire would be something that prevents you from taking damage.  Something like, say, imprinting Safe Passage on a Panoptic Mirror would prevent damage dealt on your turn.  Cards like Empty City Ruse would prevent them from attacking you, and a simple Circle of Protection: Red would prevent most direct damage effects, and you could sideboard any other pertinent Circles in case of other decks if you need.

Honestly, I think Lich would work much better with white in general.  Something lie Healing Salve would become Ancestral Recall, and white has enough damage prevention in it to keep you from having to sacrifice anything.  Plus since you'd be running black as well, I'm sure you could come across some interesting ways to keep permanents in play so you can sacrifice them in case you can't prevent damage for one reason or another.

By the way, thanks for posting this...it kind of generated a deck idea...probably wouldn't be a good deck, but it would be fun to play in casual games...now to see if I can refine the idea...

*edit* Sorry, changed "damage dealt" to "life lost" because, well, the damage is still dealt.

Last edited by the_wizard_666 (2012-07-29 05:49:27)

To the wizard 666
Ohhh, yeah that's true. I also checked the newer rulings on Ali. Too bad tho, cus it almost seemed like it could work to get around lich. Lol. Platinum angel is.... Weird tho. Negitve life and all that. Lol
Ur welcome for the idea tho big_smile in your endevor to create said deck it could very well work.

Ps: anyone who commented in this group is welcome to join my group mtg anomalies or the other edh based one to discuss weird things like this. Basically their not like mtg playing cliques, or meant to be based on trade- just groups/ communities to converse about things. smile

Last edited by Dreadwhite509 (2012-07-30 17:51:53)

I just realized something...if you have Lich and Ali from Cairo in play, and someone decides to, say, Disenchant the Lich, you could save yourself from dying if you play Boomerang followed by Shock (or cards with the same effect).  Since the Shock would resolve first, you would take two damage, triggering Ali's ability and putting your life total at 1 (although this would still cost you a couple permanents).  Then Boomerang resolves, sending Lich back to your hand.  Finally, the Disenchant resolves, but there's no valid target anymore.  What this does is both prevent you from dying as a state based effect when Lich leaves play (since you have a life total above zero) AND prevents Lich from killing you by going to the graveyard (because it went to your hand instead).  This would serve no real viable purpose in an actual match (it wouldn't be feasible to run Lich in a multicolor deck because of the colored mana requirement, unless you have a workaround), but if this scenario actually went off it would definitely be amusing!  Oh, and the spells would need to be played in that sequence...if you play Boomerang after Shock, it resolves before Shock, which would kill you as soon as Lich left play.  Just an amusing, albeit pointless, thought tongue

this combo does not work at all. See the rules of the Ali card.

10/4/2004: This effect does not apply to effects which reduce your life without doing damage.

10/4/2004: This effect does not prevent damage, it prevents the damage from turning into loss of life. So the full damage is dealt (and abilities that trigger on damage being dealt still trigger), but the full loss of life is not applied.