Topic: What's your best/ favorite combo? (discussion)

In my anti- creature deck there is a rediculous supreme board control combo with 3 cards ( others in deck aid obviously )

The tabernacle at pendrell vale +living plane + geas cradle

The tabernale: land: all creatures require and upkeep cost of 1, if not paid for each, the creature is destroyed.

Living plane: enchantment world: all lands are now 1/1 creatures, they still tap for mana but not the turn they come into play.

Gaes' cradle: land : tap to add G for each creature you controll.

Aiding cards:
Pyramids
Crucible of worlds
(Mana ramping things) sol ring, grim monolith birds of paradise

Soooo basically all my lands are creatures so when geas cradle is tapped for mana, it pays for both the land creatures, itself and all others under my control. So I still have mana open. The idea is that opponents will tap all their creature lands to save them from dying, but their creatures will die. Or they could tap a land to pay for a creature, but the land creature will die instead. 

Also the deck contains a simalar combo as many lands are artifact lands, so the tolarian academy would aid with artifact creature lands big_smile

Last edited by Dreadwhite509 (2012-07-28 05:50:51)

Re: What's your best/ favorite combo? (discussion)

A simple Dark Banishing would be mean...although I would lose everything I didn't tap to save, you would end up with the same problem when I banish your Gaea's Cradle.  Since all lands are creatures (as per Living Plane), it makes the Cradle a legal target.  Also, if I were building a hate deck against this combo, I'd make sure to have Eon Hub in the deck and ways to get it out early so I don't have to worry about the problem later.  Land destruction would be a key focus as well in order to blow up your combo before it becomes an issue.  Oh, and let's not forget Evil Presence, which would make any part of the combo into a simple basic land instead.  Also, slapping a Dark Banishing on a Panoptic Mirror would allow me to kill The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale duing my upkeep, although it probably wouldn't help (I'm pretty sure the effect would still trigger before it was removed, although it would prevent it from happening again...still, I'd probably banish the Cradle first to cause you to lose things too). I like the combo though...it's nasty, but tricky enough to get in play that it's not unfair.  One thing I'd do, just in case of an Eon Hub or any other way that your opponent would find to survive...play Fervor.  If your creatures have haste, then your land is still useful on your turn, so while your opponent is struggling to find a way to survive, you can drag on long enough to beat him down without suffering the disadvantage provided by the Living Plane.  Of course, it's probably an unnecessary precaution, but one that maybe is worth considering.

Terra Eternal or any creature board-wipe spell are the biggest issues I see assuming someone isn't using a deck specifically designed to hose yours since it just makes your combo side of the board no better or worse than anyone else's

As the_wizard said, Living Plane has the promise for making this a great combo, BUT, because it makes your lands into legal targets too, pretty much ANYTHING that does any sort of damage could easily pick off either the Tabernacle (if they want to keep their own lands) or your Gaea's Cradle if they want to take you down with them.  Personally I'd zap your Tabernacle so that I can then use various burn/damage spells (Bonfire of the Damned anyone?) to sit and take out your other lands while sitting pretty on my end.

Realistically to pull this combo off well, you need a means to put multiple lands down on the same turn.  If you have to string this thing across 2-3 turns, odds are someone will mess you up.  I can see where the Tabernacle would draw some serious attention quickly on its own.

Omg yeahh that's true yikes